Wishful thinking - perhaps?

Ubuntu!

A Ubuntu V?

The V is an attempt to get away from the big players and in-betweeners, so, how about getting away from them totally?

I know it is possible to dual boot Linux but for those of us who want to show the way away from windows…please?

Check this link Enabling the V's hardware on Linux (wiki)

Yes, I am aware of that thread and have been following it.

But, I want a virgin Ubuntu V! Not one I needed to cajole into doing things my way. (Reminds me of SWMBO)

My initial response to anybody that wants to use linux is that you really need to want to use it. It’s not like Windows or Mac OS where you can call up tech support and have them fix it, or find simple guides on the internet about what to do (there are plenty of those, whether or not they’ll work is a different story).

If you don’t want to “cajole” things, then you probably shouldn’t be using linux. It’d be nice if Eve worked with Canonical to have the V be fully compatible with Ubuntu, but I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

I have been using Linux for more than 10 years as my main system and I agree, as things are, it is not for the feint hearted initially.

However, once set up (cajoled) to work on a windows based machine I have found that users prefer the total control they have of THEIR machine and are happy to work within Linux.

No longer are they told that Microsoft must take over their machine and they must sit and wait, cannot even turn off the machine.

There are to many other reasons to go into here except to say that it is time for the world to get out of the rut.

One day there will be a Linux machine and the more we show interest, the sooner it will come.

Canonical, hear the call!

You’re the reason this comic exists

We could go on but whats the point? The entrenched will remain entrenched until they die out by being overtaken by those who want control and freedom.

The system updates for mac have been free now for years.

Do the Mac system updates stop you using the computer? I don’t know anything about Mac but am interested to know if you must stop work and/or lose control.

After the download is over it will reboot and install the update. But it will not force you to reboot until you want

Linux can’t and will never be mainstream unless the ecosystem is there, and it’s incredibly hard, if not impossible, to get there.

Most of the apps aren’t even available for Linux, take an example, Office, Adobe suite, SolidWorks or other engineering software. Don’t even get me started on games. Same with hardware stuff, you’re much more limited when it comes to peripherals if you have Linux as most of them only have drivers for Windows and Mac.

Even GPU drivers, both AMD and Nvidia, tend to be less polished, slower, have more bugs on Linux than Windows.

This was the same story as Windows Phone, except it is much more of an issue here because the apps are generally bigger and more complicated, and there is an immense number of hardware that you can’t change overnight, especially the legacy products.

Even Linus Torvalds himself acknowledges it

I was talking about the V, a crowd funded 2 in 1, not a mainstream multi purpose machine which has so much financial structure invested in it world wide.

My thought was that if these V’s are effectively made to measure/order then, would it not be feasible with help from this community, to install Linux when requested? Of course it may require Canonical input too but it seems to good an opportunity to miss. The point is, we would not be trying to cater for every possible periphery out there, just the basic ones. Linux does that already.

I would be interested to know what the implication would be, other than drivers, to install Linux as the OS.

EVE doesn’t have the resources to do this. And Canonical hasn’t really been “interested” in it.

V is a mainstream multi-purpose machine, probably more than most other computers out there, since it has to simultaneously give you good battery life, performance, inking capability, good touch experience, working with various sensors (accelerometer, gyro, etc.), while supporting every USB peripheral that desktop computers have. I haven’t tried Linux on my V, but from my previous experiences on laptops and Surface, the battery life is horrible on Linux, to begin with. That’s a main USP and honestly a deal breaker for many.

And then we get to the app ecosystem. Its a chicken-egg problem. As I mentioned earlier, Office and Adobe suite are not available. That means everyone who needs Office and Adobe wont use Linux, which means Linux don’t have large marketshare. Office, Adobe, and other apps are not interested in developing fo Linux because there isn’t large marketshare. As I mentioned earlier, it is the same problem that Windows Phone battled with, and lost.

As individuals, there is no negative implication really. You don’t lose warranty, and you can always go back to Windows whenever you want to. The embedded product key will still work.

For Eve to make it available officially, that would mean the following implications:

• Some features wont work. That’s simply because the components were picked with Windows 10 compatibility in mind, where Linux or other OS drivers might not be available. Even the FP sensor doesn’t work on Windows 8.
  • Reduced CPU performance. Intel DPTF is not yet available for Linux and it governs the performance of the CPU to some degree.
  • Reduced GPU performance. Windows GPU driver was last updated last month. When was the Linux driver even touched?
  • Reduced battery life. This is probably anecdotal experience, but I have never seen a single case where a modern laptop or tablet gets anywhere near its Windows battery life on Linux
  • Increased number of returns and/or support calls. Many people will simply buy the cheapest version available without realizing it does not come with the OS they were expecting.
  • Microsoft might probably back off from supporting Eve. As far as I know, Microsoft was supporting Eve to some degree. I don’t know if they would be happy with the idea of Eve selling the product with a competitor OS, or if that even violates the agreement.
  • Less focused future product. If the next Eve products are made with Linux compatibility in mind, we could have abandoned a superior component simply because it is not compatible with Linux. Let’s take a purely fictional scenario where Eve can only choose 1 CPU, and Intel Core i3 is compatible with both Windows and Linux, while i7 is only compatible with Windows. That would force us to abandon i7 for i3, and that is, honestly, not the compromise that the majority of us is willing to make.

Very interesting, thank you for taking the time for a full reply.