Windows update fail/error

I just recently noticed after a restart that my V has a few desktop icons out of place so naturally i went to check display settings if the resolution has changed. To my surprise the Resolution drop down box is now greyed out so i can’t change display resolution. There’s a few other things i’ve noticed that’s changed too such as dissapearance of display brightness in quick settings tab and night light being unusable.

So i went to check if i needed updates and sure enough there quite a few updates listed. Problem is, windows is failing to install these updates and keeps returning errors so the updates aren’t being installed. Been retrying the updates a few times now and has failed everytime. What is going on and how do i take back control of my V?

This means that it is now running on generic VGA driver ! Try https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/adjust-change-screen-resolution-size-windows-10.html

Try opening Powershell as an admin and running the following commands:

dism /online /cleanup-image /analyzecomponentstore

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Afterwards, restart the computer. Then, open Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates

From there, start uninstalling everything you can beginning with the most recent updates until you are forced to restart your computer. Upon restarting, go into settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot, and run the Update troubleshooter. After running that (using the “Run as admin” option when prompted), restart again, and all should be well.

String of Windows 10 update errors

“Windows Powershell”

Got all the way to the first restart after using powershell. But start button wont open. The windows taskbar isnt responding. Although i am able to open up programs from the desktop. Any ideas?

Edit: Currently using Windows Start Menu Troubleshooter program to see if it helps. But it’s taking ages running for some reason. Hope there’s nothing wrong.

Just hold the power button down for 15 seconds, then turn it on. There’s not much special about clicking “restart”

Windows is starting to make me miss MacOS :sweat_smile: It seems i have to jump through a lot of hoops to make things work properly which i didn’t have to do when i was on MacOS.

Am i supposed to uninstall security updates too? Because windows isn’t letting me uninstall this one, i mean i can uninstall it but it won’t successfully do so it’ll undo changes and it’ll still be there.

Currently surfing the web for answers but appreciate the community’s help on the matter too :smiley:

Macs do have less of these problems, but they’re usually much harder to fix. And I’ve definitely seen my fair share of OS upgrade problems on Macs.

Just install what you can, if it won’t uninstall don’t worry about it. We just want to get as much out of the way as we easily can.

Then run the update troubleshooter I mentioned above, and that’ll probably take a while (maybe as long as a few hours, but I hope not). It’s fine to use your computer while it’s running.

Trouble shooter failed to help. Something about database being corrupt. So i’m stuck unable to update anything on my V. Running out of ideas.