Windows phone Development

would you consider a windows phone with an intel CPU. I live and breathe Microsoft - that’s my bread and butter. need a phone to run legacy apps

This depends on whether we’ll get a suitable CPU. Perhaps a 2W Core M…

Sound encouraging Anthony. I am not an Android fan . Hope you make a 10” win 10 Tablet

Looking for a replacement

A Windows-Phone? Never. The less Microsoft on my devices, the better.
For the CPU question: Intel stopped its Atom processors completely I think (which were used mostly). So either some OEM integrates a Core M as already suggested or we have to wait and see what the collaboration of Intel and ARM will bring us, but that might take 2 years till they release something useful for the public.

@bigubig
I too am a Windows fan. My Lumia 830 has been fantastic so far. I hope that the Surface Phone does run legacy applications. I support your idea, but it still isn’t feasible yet.
Let’s keep dreaming, and one day, we’ll achieve it.
And we are making a Windows tablet that’s going to flip the market, so 12" or 10", it’s still going to revolutionize the industry.

The guy said he needs legacy apps… Do you expect him to recompile everything for ARM? :slight_smile: And why do you hate Microsoft so much? I think it’s way better than Google-Snoople, hehe…
Intel hasn’t discontinued all Atoms, only the phone part. They’re still producing tablet Atoms. They were still facing problems with cooling in a small body, so I predict them to come back with either improved Atom or scaled-down Core when they reach 10nm. Then we shall see. Ideally, I’d love a “Surface Phone” that has a hardware keyboard, compact body (think 4.5" without bezels), maybe a digital pen… And most importantly, can run all desktop apps on Intel platform :slight_smile:

Thanks Paul for your pertinent reply. There are a lot of blow hards around who know very little about tech. Intel has not ceased development

of the Atom cores. I am high on Microsoft , they are no worse than Google. I make a very comfortable living off Microsoft and Intel

Thanks for the question. I think the big question here is whether there ever will be Surface phone and also what the future of the OS is like.

Only thing I can assure is that next product will be selected and created with community:)

Don’t say that. We all know a lot about tech here. And I really do understand why many people believe that Atom is discontinued. Most tech articles were incredibly misleading here, and very rarely was it mentioned in headlines that it touches only phone chips. You had to dig quite deep to find that out.

And regarding Windows vs. Google: Google has a business model that heavily depends on data mining and then selling it to advertisers. For Microsoft, it’s a secondary thing after enterprise clients and inventing new device types :slight_smile: I personally am against my personal data being mined and sold, so I’d choose the lesser evil any time, but unfortunately most of the apps I depend on (smartphone is useless without them for me) are Android/iOS exclusive and for that sole reason I use Android. AFAIK @Tirigon uses Linux, so he’s a wise guy. Instead of choosing the lesser evil, he didn’t choose evil at all. But Linux is such a PITA to use that it’s too big of a tradeoff for me. Even more, since we’re talking about mobile platforms, in this regard there are no better alternatives than Windows Phone in my honest opinion.

P. S. Microsoft also gets bonus points because most of its tracking can be disabled from settings.

I prefer Windows Mobile as it currently is, and believe the risks/complications of running a “classical” intel x86/x64 based processor on a phone outweigh the benefits. I don’t want to have to deal with a registry, disk fragmentation, and viruses/spyware/malware on a phone. These are some of the same reasons I’ve never went to Android. (The main reason, of course, being Google’s questionable privacy practices. Don’t get Scroogled).

I also think one of the reason’s Microsoft is pivoting Windows Mobile into business is to try and get business to rewrite the “legacy” apps for mobile. It’s how Windows got started in the 90s really - businesses needed a platform, and Windows and Intel made it cheaper and easier to use than the competition (Apple).

Personally, I’m hoping Microsoft’s bet of purchasing Xamarin pays off in the long run, and nets it some business with app development. If they move fast enough, they can get business to still convert their legacy apps and iOS/Android apps. Also, when new apps are built, hopefully they can make it very simple to compile and run on all 3 mobile platforms in a few simple steps.
I know it might be a futile dream, but here’s to hoping.

I thought Atom was discontinued until reading this thread here. Everything I read said Intel killed it, and were switching to the Core m model, with a similar sales scheme to that of the Core i series.

To be more precise, they killed the Atom branding, but not the architecture. Atom processors were used in smartphones and really small, cheap tablets, and they didn’t earn a trustworthy name. Given that Core M was also renamed to Core i, no surprise they’re rebranding other “weaker” processors too. They will keep producing Celeron and Pentium chips, and even develop new ones, and these chips are based on Atom. So the architecture isn’t dead. Only the future of Atom branding is unknown. Here is an article that explains it better:

You don’t need to “deal” with registry. Just let it be. Malware exists on every major platform, including Android. Android is just as sandboxed as Windows Phone, at least until you root it. Yet you can get a virus if you’re not careful. If Windows Phone gets a market share similar to Android, it will have viruses, disregarding the architecture. And disk fragmentation? Do you really believe we should use a spinning magnetic hard drive in a phone? Come on…

Thanks, I’ll look into that article later. As for the Malware, I have yet to see iOS with any malware/virus issues that last more than a couple days - Apple patches it that fast. Google HAS NEVER acknowledged all of the bugs and holes that Android has - they don’t do a good job at patching.

As for the fragmentation part - I still get disk fragmentation on SSD devices. It’s less than that of a spinning HDD, but it’s still there.

You don’t know how SSDs work, do you? They don’t spin, there is no “needle” that needs to jump back and forth, and defragmenting only shortens the lifetime of an SSD.

Well “duh” on the needle thing. Defrag would not shorten the life by anything noticeable on an SSD -I understand what you’re saying, but the SSD will.still more than likely outlive the device it has been placed into (it’s the nature of electronics these days, unfortunately).

I would certainly hope I know something about SSDs and electronics, having a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science and a minor in Physics that specialized in electronics technology.

Sorry then. You should certainly know more than me. But how would you explain defrag on SSD? Fragmentation is a big problem on HDDs, because as I said, the so-called “needle” needs to jump back and forth to reach the required bytes, which results in higher latency than usual. However, on an SSD, access times are pretty much the same to every block, especially with newer controllers where random and sequential read speeds are nearly identical. That means fragmentation isn’t an issue, at least in my knowledge. Maybe I don’t know something very important? :slight_smile:

As for the shortening of lifetime, I do agree that it’s unnoticeable from one defrag procedure, but it does result in totally unnecessary rewrites. If you do regular defrag, you will definitely end up with a dead sector earlier than usual, but the question is how much earlier. It’s not easy to answer that, and while I know it isn’t much, it’s still not a good practice IMHO.

Now to another point. You current phone does have solid-state storage, I can guarantee you that. Why don’t you defrag your phone? Would having full Windows on it change anything? It would still use the same kind of storage and probably the same amount of fragmentation as your current phone does. So what makes you think you should use defrag in Windows, while you shouldn’t do it in Android, for example? I mean, I know that computers get a lot more fragmentation, but that’s due to the fact that you use them much more intensively. If you take a computer and use it as your phone (that means only Windows Store apps and very limited multitasking), you will see that you don’t get that fragmentation anymore. Because on a phone, you don’t manipulate files as much as on a computer.

However, having full Windows on a phone would open up that opportunity. You would be able to use it as a real computer, resulting in cluttered registry and stuff… But you would never be forced to do it. If you want a clean registry and no fragmentation (for whatever reason that’s important to you), you can keep that in mind and avoid using the phone for anything more than a regular Windows Phone device can do. Basically if you ignore all desktop apps and just don’t use them, such “Surface” phone will work just like any Lumia, with some differences that are generally unnoticeable to the user, such as more background services (hence more CPU power required).