Windows licence activation failure

Just wondering if anyone else hit this.

1. Received brand new Eve V - fantastic
  2. Updated to latest Windows security updates after logging in as my MS account, including the large updates (this was the only thing I did, I haven’t messed with whatever licences were pre-installed)
  3. Windows says it isn’t activated (I only spotted this because I tried to personalise the task bar and it said I couldn’t because Windows needed activating
  4. I don’t know whether the licence was activated and valid when I got it before I updated, but it’s definitely not working now
  5. Tried the usual “click here to troubleshoot” which failed and tried a few more times, which repeatedly failed as well (so no simple fix)

I believe this is the root cause: https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/466654-volume-license-deactivated-after-fall-creators-update.html (at least this is the only thing I can find that’s relevant)

Running the command line tools (slmgr), I get:

OEM Key

Activating Windows®, Core edition (8db63db6-4f8f-46d6-a448-66444faaaa72) …
Error: 0xC004C008 The activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used

Installed Key

Activating Windows®, Core edition (8db63db6-4f8f-46d6-a448-66444faaaa72) …
Error: 0xC004C003 The activation server determined the specified product key is blocked

I then contacted MS support to try and unblock it and was told they can’t do anything about product keys from OEMs and I needed to contact Eve V, which I have done, but support is really slow at the moment.

Has anyone else hit this or managed to fix this without going through support? I have plenty of my own licence keys I could use, but out of principle I would like to use the one that came with it :slight_smile:

It seems that the Installed key, the key that you are using right now, is a generic key. It is common for OEM laptops to be installed with generic key, and Windows should detect the OEM key (embedded to the BIOS) on the first boot on a clean install.

Just in case, try reading the embedded key with this app, check on “MSDM key”, then just try entering the product key using the Settings app instead of SLMGR. I had most luck that way.

Thanks, but I already tried both with SLMGR for both keys and using the Settings app. Both give the same error codes :frowning:

I had the same problem with you! I have reported to the support team and they are working for it. But unfortunately, they have an extremely slow procedure. I received my V in early March but my problem has not been resolved yet. The admin and support seldom reply to your inquiries and complaints. I am very frustrated and disappointed right now. Hope admin @Helios or @Xinjie or anyone from the team could realize the problem.

But anyway, I think you should try to approach the support team first.

I have done, it’s just that, as you’ve stated, they’re extremely slow. They even forgot that I’d already sent the information and asked for it again

I got my V in early March but my Win 10 is not activated yet! They have not been repsonded to me for one and a half month already!

Well, very slow it is :confused:

What did you try to get it activated (except asking support)?

That super slow support will be a thing which will eventually take EVE down …

I really hope not, but actually it hurts the Eve integrity credibility quite badly.

As collateral damage of the not kept time estimations I see:

An overload of complaining posts (there are big Eve problems to cope with) with a tendency to project every individual V - technical problem in an “every V is loaded with flaws” picture scares many potential “stayers” off.

The incomprehension, bitterness, and ego-fights present in the many exchanges between those who complain and those who try to calm the most untamed statements… (Who said there are Community guidelines?) chased many interesting posters, diminishing dramatically the diversity in posts and community.

We all loose.

But of course you have no evidence for this. It is just your wishful thinking.

Did you read the posts since the start of the community?
If so ok. if not so what you classify wishful thinking could be facts chief.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You have no evidence showing that users have been chased away by the comments here, chief. You have no evidence that posts “scares many potential “stayers” off”, chief. If so present it, chief.

How do you quantify this? How do you show evidence of this? Curious, because if you could, why haven’t you, chief?

You see what I did there? If you want to be abusive, how about you try someone else.

One simple thing may help a bit:

Can we please keep the thread on topic?

I have sent multiple e-mails to support and since the initial response, where I provided them with the built-in licence keys, I have had 0 responses. It is incredibly frustrating. Although you can use Windows without activation, it’s annoying and I’ve essentially been sold a product with no proper OS licence (as it stands).

I have tried the many workarounds and even contacted MS directly who said that since it’s an OEM key they can’t actually do anything about it. It would be good to know how many other people this effects. It’s not even obvious that your licence hasn’t been activated unless you go to your Settings (the watermark in the bottom right doesn’t always appear), so it might be that some people haven’t even noticed it hasn’t activated properly.

I don’t really care if it’s Eve’s fault or MS’s, I just want a valid licence key.

So support finally got back to me, told me they gave me the wrong extraction tool and asked me to repeat the process. The new extraction tool provided exactly the same result that the last one did (i.e. it worked) and extracted the key that I have provided them previously (which you can also get via standard powershell commands if you know how and various free online tools). It’s now the THIRD time I’ve provided exactly the same faulty key to support.

It is incredibly frustrating. It’s like support can’t read / can’t access the e-mail history and the same questions get asked over and over. I have never encountered such absolutely abysmal customer service. I have had better and more responsive customer service from the chinese support e-mails that sell the super cheap electronics you find imported into the UK. Sure, the manuals are full of spelling mistakes, but at least the support requests get read properly and are addressed quickly.

Support got back to me to tell me they’d fixed the key and I should try again by the end of that week to see if the key was now fixed. Unsurprisingly the key was not fixed. I contacted MS directly as they suggested and they told me the key that Eve had given me was invalid and had exceeded the number of activations. I contacted Eve again and waited 2 weeks, still no reply.

In the end I have bought myself a Windows Pro licence and moved to that. If anyone else has this issue, you are probably screwed, I imagine it’s at the bottom of their list of things on fire at the moment and they seem unable to fix the issues.

If they can’t even fix a simple licencing issue quickly, I have no idea how they hope to get anywhere, but for the moment at least the hardware itself seems to be working fine, although I don’t use it anywhere near as often as most of the people on this forum.