Windows installation, restore partition and DVD

Yeah… True that… What I meant that they never get old as long as the capacity is big enough. And it doesn’t grow SO FAST that you could call just one year old sticks “old”. If you buy a stick with near max capacity, it will be good for at least 10 years. Even the “default”, for example 8GB as of today, would last more than one year.

How about a recovery partition? @Team @iKirin @nawthor @Helios

Manufacturing is starting, I guess that such kind of detail is fixed since long.

As far as I recall we don’t plan on a recovery partition - reason being that those are mostly there to automagically restore the bloatware the manufacturer has given with your notebook.

If you perform a clean windows install you should have 99% of what was on your V at the point of delivery, except the color calibration which can be downloaded for free (again, if memory serves)

Does this mean that the “refresh your PC” option won’t be available, or does that option exist independently of a recovery partition?

At least in Windows 8, there were 3 different refresh options, some of them worked, some of them didn’t. I don’t know about Windows 10 refresh options, but in the worst case it can require you to insert install media. Just mounting the ISO is enough, no need for a USB stick.

In Windows 10 they got rid of the refresh option. Now there’s only reset (can be found in Settings > Update & security > Recovery), which does give you the choice of keeping files, settings, and applications. There is no need to have a USB drive for this option, that’s only needed if you can’t boot into Windows. Unlike in Windows 8, this can actually be very good at fixing problems in Windows 10, even if you choose to keep everything. I am unsure if this is true in the Fall Creators Update 1709, but I can’t imagine they would have changed it much.

That almost certainly depends on whether you have a recovery partition.

Not always, I believe. If running the reset from Windows Settings (as I noted in my post above), you shouldn’t need a USB drive or recovery partition, except maybe unless you opt to format the drive. A system reset from the advanced boot menu may require a USB.

Again, I’m not certain, and I don’t feel like pulling out a computer and reinstalling windows just to find out.

Thanks for the feedback Peter, at least I am now clear on that :slight_smile:

Although honestly speaking I do not understand your argument. V is supposed to come bloatware free, but with a windows pre-installed, isn’t it?
So if EVE prepare a recovery partition for the device, I would have expected it to be also bloatware free. I thus do not understand the link between bloatware free and not having a recovery partition. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yep I remember about this one. I kinda wonder how this is going to be organized though. Since all V are different, I guess that we would need a unique tag on the V to recognize it and link directly to the right settings. Frankly a partition may have been easier for you to handle (especially if numbers grow), but I can see the logic :slight_smile:

My understanding is that you can easily create a recovery partition if you want, but if you’d prefer to have the storage instead you do out of the box.

I think his argument is that with the V a clean install of Win10 will serve the same purpose as a recovery partition, so Eve decided not to include one and give the extra space to the user. Which I really like!

I like this too. My SP3 (bloatware free) did come with a recovery partition, I wonder why? Maybe just because it’s convention.

like Trigon said, the recovery partition is essentially a Win 10 ISO usb on our SSD. Due to V providing a bloatware free experience, Eve decided that users might as well make their own bootable win 10 usb and install windows from there, and keep the SSD space free.

The desktop that I’m using at the moment has a recovery partition. It’s self-built and I installed Windows 10 via ISO IIRC. I figured the recovery partition an essential component of Windows 10, so I’m a bit confused by all this.
It’s only 450MB, by the way.

That’s probably the UEFI partition. Basically your bootloader. A recovery partition is much bigger than that… And it doesn’t get created when you install the OS from clean ISO.

Nope, my UEFI parittion is handily labelled “EFI System Partition” in Disk Management and is 100mb. The partition I’m talking about is labelled “Recovery Partition” and I sure as hell didn’t create it myself.

Incidentally, my laptop has two recovery partitions. Mysterious. But one of them is also 450MB IIRC. I checked it earlier at work. The other one was twice the size. I dunno what the deal with that is, but I suspect that one existed ever since I bought the computer from Dell.

Here:
https://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/recovery-partition-after-upgrading-to-windows-10-4348.html

"When installing a Windows operating system (OS) on a hard drive, and if you use Windows Setup to create new partition on an MBR disk, Windows will create a system reserved partition, and if it is a GPT disk, then Windows will create a recovery partition and a EFI system partition without drive letter. The recovery partition on Windows 10 consumes about 450MB, Windows 8/8.1 200MB, and Windows 7 100MB. "

I don’t think so.
SP is a consumer product. Customers can be as well as tech fans as complete noobs.
Paul, iKirin, you and me can sure prepare a USB key, but many poeple just can’t(or don’t want) no matter how easy it might be. This is a different world for them.
Even on this forum and among all the early birds I would not bet that everybody is be able to handle that(based on a few threads I saw).

So the question is mostly to equip the device so that it can easily be repaired / fixed. When a customer go to a standard support service, the 3 first main steps are :

• Have you tried turning it off and on again?
  • run the diagnostic tools m(if any)
  • re-initialise your PC (via the recovery)

This is Level1 support. This is not a golden rule, but this is what happen most of the time in order to try reducing the load on the support service.
If the PC is not equipped with a recovery partition (and that there is no diagnostic tools, as for V’s case), it is then shipped back. It takes time, ressources and generate frustration eventually

Ok I see the point. :slight_smile:
Imho I do not think that it is a good idea from support perspective. An Advanced user will always be able to recover a partition or to create a USB ISO. The average user, which is the vast majority, will however struggle for such steps.
If anything happen he will struggle to reset its device to factory settings.
While this may be seen this is a standard debug step to fix a device by excluding SW issues and thus avoid thousands of unecessary returns, this is just a support strategy in the end.

Nevertheless I am not challenging the decision, I just wanted to know (for a long time) the strategy. I believe that this would have been convenient (I don’t care a mere GB :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but I can always handle :wink:

will probably ask a friend for help, in case he cannot reset it himself. And this friend should knonw how to create bootable USB sticks :slight_smile:

Lol this can be, but I would not do a general rule.

Problem with consumer is that you have to consider the worst case, the most reasonnable case and then find a good balance so that you do not overload your support team. *

Will Eve ask a customer to ask his neighbour/friends to reinstall the V before shipment for L2 support?
I don’t think so.

Ps : * Also true for B2B actually, but in this case you know who you are talking too…