Windows installation, restore partition and DVD

Hi Eve,

I had some look in the history, but beside some “should” answers from the comunity (I think), I could not really find the confirmation I am looking for.
Here I go:

• Windows installation:
    I have picked up the i7 early bird, means with the 500GB. I thus expect to have about 465GB for real. Out of those, how much should I count for the Windows 10 (pro?)installation?
    I found a thread mentioning about 50GB approx(from a community member)… it looks huge to me for an initial sw without bloatware. Do you have any confirmation?

• Restore partition
    Will there be a restore partition on the SSD? If so How big will it be?

• Windows pro : (or Windows at all)
    Will it come with some DVD or do it yourself (restore DVD, or whatever) option?

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

I can confirm that a clean install from a MSDN ISO takes way more than they say. After installing a couple updates, it easily goes over 50GB. Expect 450GB, it’s better to be pleasantly surprised than let down.
As for the install medium, you can easily download it straight from Microsoft.
I really hope they don’t waste any cents on installation DVDs, because 1. the tablet doesn’t have a DVD-ROM, and 2. most people just put them in their drawer and never use them. Manufacturers often include install media with computers because they want people to use their bloatware (and the DVD includes all that bloatware), and since we don’t have that crap, I don’t really see the point in giving people DVDs or USBs with install, because they’re super easy to make yourself :slight_smile:
And while there is no official word on this, I’ve never seen anyone ship laptops with one version of Windows installed and a different version included in DVD. That way they would be wasting money, because they would need to ship you 2 licenses (one preinstalled, and another one in the DVD). So you can count on me, if you bought Windows 10 Pro it will come preinstalled.

From what you said, at 450GB I will still be disapointed. Real available space being more about 465GB, it would bring us to 400GB available with a bit of pessimism. That’s huge somehow :confused:
Means that the 128GB version users should not expect more than 70GB (119GB (real) - 50GB)

I am mostly a Dell user when it comes to manufactured PC, and I always managed to get the OS on a storage support (mostly DVDs) true that this is more and more rare.
This doesn’ prevent that I like to have tools available on my desk when I reinstall my systems.

I noticed :wink:
This was only an example, but still external dvd players is also a possibility on some occasions.

Thanks but that was not my point, I am pretty trustful on Eve guys.
My point is with regards to reinstallation, thus my question on whether a disk partition will be implemented(with a restore image) and wheether we can get Windows on a different support for re-installation

Well reinstalling windows shouldn’t be the problem, if anything it has gotten easier over time. There was a mention of drivers and stuff being available from Eve so downloading and installing windows and then maybe some extras from eve really shouldn’t be the problem …

Re-installing is never an issue if the data is available. :wink: personally I tend to prefer doing the base installation off-line as much as possible although at some point there is no choice but to pickup the updates/drivers online of course.

Anyway, remain the question : Will there be a “Restore partition” on the drive? If yes, how big?
This is a quite common feature at classical manufacturer. I had it on all my Dell PCs (don’t know for SP).

I expect there will be a hidden restore Partition with a preactivated Windows 10 Home (by Default) on it.
… so we will not be given a Win10 License Key, isn´t it ?

I am also interested in an official Statement to this Topic.

Assuming Eve does this like other major OEMs…

As far as I know, Microsoft magically tracks OEM licenses with Windows.
(If I remember correctly, it’s some authorization information “hidden” in your EFI-ROM).

So it’s unlikely that we’d have a key provided.

Oh, please dont understand me wrong - i am not good in English language…
I am shure we will have a legal key - but inside the ROM we cant see and read him :wink:

In my Mind the authorization Information is also in the ROM - but I think it has to fit the Installation Source.
So If you try to make a fresh Installation and lost your restore-Partition with the matching source you may become a Problem.

So the question would be: Whitch is the Fitting source (.ISO) to install from we can download for Backup ?

I don’t know if there’s a recovery partition or not :smile: , may @iKirin can help with this question.

The worst case, however, is that you can go grab an official media creator from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then download and create a Win 10 Home or Win 10 Pro media with that tool.
I’m pretty sure it would work with OEM licenses.

Some SSDs actually show their real capacity, so I was assuming we would get a real 500GB. But now I realize it’s probably 512GB in decimal, which leaves us about 576.8GB of real storage space. 576 - 50 = 526, that’s roughly what you should expect to have unoccupied.
And yeah, 128GB is the bare minimum you should get with Windows. I have a 64GB tablet, and afterr installing just Office, Visual Studio, and a few games (5GB tops) I have 1GB of free space. I even resized the UEFI/recovery partitions down to save some space. And I have to constantly run Disk Cleanup, because otherwise I would have 1MB rather than GB. Sometimes I run into a situation where it’s so bloated that even Disk Cleanup refuses to run, saying that there is not enough space. Apparently it can’t even generate its database, because it’s so full.
So yeah, your estimate about 128GB is pretty fine, given that my apps use around 10GB and the remaining 50GB of my SSD is eaten by Windows.
That’s why Eve didn’t offer any lower capacity SSDs :slight_smile:

For reinstalling Windows, just grab a flash drive and go here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
That is, if you have access to a machine running Windows. If not, you can use any computer, including macbooks, Linux computers, eI think even a phone can do this nowadays… But you’ll need this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10ISO

The product key is embedded in the BIOS, so even if they don’t show it to you, Windows should activate automatically without asking for a key. Even if it doesn’t activate for some reason, you can extract the key by using Windows software. There are a bunch of apps for that :slight_smile:

You can install from ANY Windows 10 ISO. It doesn’t matter. You can install one with updates pre-integrated, you can install Insider Preview - they will ALL work with your key. I hope this makes it clear :slight_smile:

Hum, that would be nice if it could get confirmed :slight_smile:
Meanwhile whil I took the pessimistic approach :wink:

I don’t think you need extra software for that.
You can see it in the Systems settings

It’s not the same key…

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/difference-between-windows-7-product-key-and/9de1d99c-f5e4-41e2-9c7b-6b81e39b5b97

I would prefer to have an downloadable ISO that I can burn myself either to a USB stick or DVD

Why?
You can download Windows iso everywhere.
In my opinion we only need standalone driver and one bundle…

That is the product ID, not the product key. Completely different things. Product key is used for activation, and product ID is only used as a reference when contacting support. You can’t activate a computer using it.

@Patrick_Hermawan there is an ISO at windows.com, I put a link above

What the ISO does is it could re-build the recovery partition that contains all the necessary drivers and optimizations. For example, you installed Linux and for some reason you deleted the recovery partition, the ISO file could take care of that.

So why not the vanilla Windows ISO? Stock Windows ISO might not contain all the necessary drivers for a particular device. For example, the stock ISO from Microsoft doesn’t have the driver for the Surface Pen, and worse with the Pro 4, not even the touchscreen works. (Last time I tried it was a year ago, I don’t know if they have added it later down the line)

If you use the “Reset Windows” feature, the installation will be replaced with image from the ISO, which might be missing some drivers if it was the vanilla Windows ISO. If I remember correctly, they will also ask for the DVD since Windows doesn’t make a recovery partition by default.

It might not be a big deal for us, but if we are giving it away later to (less tech-savvy) family members, or youre simply selling it, it might be a big deal for them. Vanilla Windows installation is not the most convenience option for them. Or simply when you have a system error that forces you to reset the device, you could survive without internet if you have all the necessary drivers in the recovery partition

I have seen it and learned something new today.
Thanks.

Why overcomplicate it? Just put an executable that installs all the drivers - problem solved :slight_smile: That is also much easier to to because it would be programmed to run on already installed Windows. While your proposed ISO would need to have a base OS installed, and it just makes things more complicated.

But if you insist bundling some sort of install medium, please make it a USB drive. Nowadays they’re just as cheap as DVD disks, and they go straight into the device. It would be very ignorant to supply something that’s supposed to repair the device but is not compatible with it. Like a DVD.