Windows 8.1 for the Eve V

Features

1. Windows is fully updated as of December 2017 except for telemetry-related updates. Tip: Scan for Windows Update, and immediately block all the available updates from 2015 and 2016, those are all the telemetry-related ones.
  2. Based on Surface non-Pro 3 image.
  3. That means Drawboard PDF is included!
  4. Eve V default ‘bloody red’ wallpaper
  5. Microsoft’s artificial hardware detection bypassed, no “Unsupported hardware” warning, no updates blocked. Thanks to wufuc https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc
  6. Bloat free with about 3 GB saving: Only 7 metro apps included (Camera, IE, OneDrive, PC Settings, Photos, Store, Drawboard). The rest can be downloaded from Store | Trial Office removed | Speech data removed.
  7. Languages included: English, French, Spanish. You can download any other language later.
  8. Fully working refresh and reset functionality. (USB installer required for “normal”, not needed for “WIMboot”)
  9. Various Windows tweaks | File Indexing paused on battery | Verbose messages, you get more information in boots and shutdowns | non-certified DLNA devices are supported
  10. Wimboot only: WinRE from vanilla Windows, touchscreen driver included.

Coming in next update (early 2018):

1. Wallpaper from Community Art Anybody?
  2. Tweaks for saving even more space (8-10 GB)
  3. “Start” in the start screen will be replaced with “Eve V” (only on US English)
  4. Fix: Builtin Office will be fully removed (some traces left)

NOT working aka missing drivers

(tldr fingerprint and gyroscope. Gyroscope has nothing to do with the accelerometer. Accelerometer and screen rotation work properly)

Goodix Fingerprint SPI Device ACPI\VEN_GXFP&DEV_3200
• 1.0.20.22: Error 31
• 1.0.20.27: Error 31

Bosch Gyroscope ACPI\VEN_BOSC&DEV_1160
• 2.0.0.2: Parameter is incorrect

Please let me know if you found 8.1 compatible drivers for those two components

Download

Choose the “Normal” version if you want to dual-boot with the original Windows 10 installation. It reversible, recommended for most people.

Choose the “WIMboot” version if you want to get rid of the Windows 10 installation completely. I would recommend to try the “Normal” version first, and proceed with the WIMboot version when you are comfortable with Windows 8 on the Eve V

The “WIMboot” version uses 4-8 GB less storage memory due to the clever WIMboot method (learn more here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn594399.aspx).

“Driver.zip” contains the Windows 8.1 drivers that I compiled from various sources. It’s all you need if you do a vanilla install. Not needed for “Normal” and “WIMboot”.

Installation

Normal version, recommended for dual-boot setup, it is reversible, recommended for most people

1. Make a backup in case things go bananas
  2. Set up the ISO image on a CD or USB stick. Recommended: Rufus
    • If you use Rufus, set it on “MBR for UEFI computer(only for the USB stick, the V will be set up as GPT)
  3. Shrink the C: drive to give space for Windows 8. In Windows 10, go to Disk Management, and shrink the main partition (C: drive) by the amount that you wish to give for Windows 8 (minimum: 30 GB). You don’t have to format it.
  4. Now go to the BIOS configuration by going to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart now > Advanced Options > UEFI firmware settings
  5. In the BIOS, set the boot priority to of USB or CD to be above BOTH Hard Disk and Windows Boot Manager
  6. Boot into Windows installer
  7. Select Install Windows
  8. Select Custom (advanced)
  9. Select the partition that we prepared earlier.
  10. Install

If you want to get rid of the Windows 8 installation

1. Make a backup in case things go bananas
  2. In Windows 10, go to Disk Management
  3. Right click and delete the Windows 8 partition.

WIMboot version, recommended if you want to get rid of Windows 10 completely

I would recommend to try the Normal version first, and proceed with the WIMboot version if you are sure that you want to keep Windows 8

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! This will format the entire disk. No data will be preserved!

1. Download and extract the package
  2. Set up the ISO image on a CD or USB stick. Recommended: Rufus
    • If you use Rufus, set it on “MBR for UEFI computer(only for the USB stick, the V will be set up as GPT)
  3. Boot it on the V
  4. Enter cd /d D:\V8
  5. Enter diskpart /s part.txt
  6. Enter apply D:\V8\V8.wim D:\V8\winre.wim
  7. Repeat the step #6 just to be sure
  8. Enter exit, unplug the USB stick.

FAQ

Q: Graphics driver is not loaded
A: Go to the Device Manager, expand the “Display Adapters” section, right click on “Basic Display Adapter”, select “Update Driver Software…”, select “Browse my computer for driver software”, select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”, select “Intel HD Graphics 615”, and click “Next”.

Q: I can’t adjust the brightness
A: See previous question on “Graphics driver is not loaded”

Q: Touch is unresponsive (the first touch doesn’t register after idling with no input for a few seconds)
A: Go to the Device Manager, click on “Intel HID Events Filter”, click on “Power Management” tab, and uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power”

Q: Screen rotation is upside down
A: Copy and paste the following text, save it as “rotationfix.reg”, and open it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\SENSOR\0000\Device Parameters\kxfusion]
"ACPI\\SMO8500\\1-0"="{A4C7A64F-B787-4F00-B1D8-5830F1CC8392}"
"orientation"=hex:00,00,01,01,00,00,02

Q: Windows displays "Unsupported Hardware"
A: I have included a piece of program to bypass Microsoft’s artificial hardware check, called wufuc https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc. Simply open “Enable wufuc (Admin)” from the start menu.

Q: Windows won’t activate with the embedded key
A: Since the embedded key is only valid for Windows 10, unfortunately there’s nothing I can do about it. You can buy a Windows 8.1 key officially, find it in alternative stores for cheap, or simply ignore the activation requests. Or pirate it, I won’t judge.

Q: Do I need to wait for your next ROM to get Windows updated?
A: No, you can just update normally via Windows Update

Q: What updates should I block if I care about my privacy?
A: Check this page https://gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9. Note that KB2976987 has been re-released so many times that it always shows up in Windows Update as if it was a new update. Last update was August 2017.

Q: Why Windows 8?
A: Mainly this:

Just like those two blokes, Im not a big fan of how Windows 10 operates on a tablet. In my opinion, Windows 8.1 has more, and better touch gestures, many of which were copied by Apple in iOS 11 for the iPad.

Make no mistake, Windows 10 is a fantastic desktop OS, and I am currently writing on my desktop PC running Windows 10. But on a touchscreen slate device, using Windows 10 feels just as bad as using 8.1 on a 17" laptop with no touchscreen.

If you want the full explanation, I have a full list of (mainly) touch-centric features that are removed in W10 here:
  • There is no option to make all tiles larger or smaller (tiles scaling, independent of system scaling)
  • You cant multi-select tiles and move them together
  • You cant multi-select apps in the all-apps list either. So you cant uninstall or pin apps together.
  • And you will do that a lot, because the layout doesn’t sync across devices
  • The start button on the charms bar is gone. You have to hit the tiny start button in the corner to go to the start screen. While its not a big problem on the SP3 and earlier Windows tablets since it has the physical start button on the correct position, its a major issue on other tablets, including the V
  • Cortana, the replacement for the search charm, is not reachable from either thumbs.
  • Switching to the last app with the new Task View requires twice as many steps (swipe, and tap) AND twice as many hands.
  • So does snapping. You cant do that with only one swipe now.
  • I cant snap 3 apps side-by-side anymore.
  • It doesn’t remember the snap state. Say, I have 2 apps side-by-side, then I open another app in fullscreen. I cant go back to the previous 2 side-by-side apps without resnapping them manually.
  • The taskbar doesn’t go away when im watching a video or playing Asphalt
  • And if you set it on auto-hide, it doesnt auto-hide reliably. It keeps staying on till you re-tap it.
  • Unlike the charms bar that follows your finger when you trigger it, the Action Center just have a hardcoded animation. It seems like Action Center gesture is a tacked-on feature, which would be great but…
  • Action Center cannot be disabled. That prevents me from opening the taskbar if I have it on the right side and its on auto-hide. This is a design flaw.
  • The clock on that corner consists of like eleven pixels and roughly three millimeters tall. Its tiny compared to the one in 8.1
  • The start menu needs major overhaul. At its current state, you have to hit the little hamburger in the corner to reach all apps (like Windows 8.0) instead of just swiping anywhere.
  • You cant pinch-out in the all-apps list to pick the letter.
  • Im not allowed to see my desktop.
  • I can’t go to 25% brightness without blinding myself with 100% first. That stupid toggle.
  • No touch-friendly file picker
  • The back button doesn’t work on some apps, yet present all the time, unlike in desktop mode
  • And if you do press that back button on unsupported apps, you will be thrown away from that app. I cant think of a bigger middle finger in an operating system.
  • Quick actions in the Action Center has no consistency. Some are buttons, some are simple toggles. For example, the WiFi icon on the systray behaves differently compared to the one in Action Center.
  • Edge: Tap-and-hold functionality to emulate hover is gone
  • Edge: No fullscreen mode, unlike either metro or desktop IE

And these are arbitrary limitations made by MS on Tablet Mode, because they think tablet users are a bunch of idiots, and all desktop users are all power users.

• You’re forced to hit that tiny button in that corner to see “most used” apps (more of full-screen start issue in general)
  • You’re not allowed to have the search bar on the taskbar, only the search icon despite there is tons of wasted space there
  • You’re not allowed to use “Virtual Desktop” feature which is actually great for split-screen combinations in Tablet Mode
  • You’re not allowed to see the desktop either
  • You’re not allowed to toggle between regular and full-screen start menu
  • You’re not allowed to tap-and-hold on the taskbar to launch Task Manager
  • You’re not allowed to disable the Action Center swipe-in gesture. Yes I tried all the registry and gpedit tweaks

In most cases, it’s probably the other way around. People who don’t want Windows power on a tablet would’ve bought an iPad. People who don’t want Windows power on a desktop would still buy a desktop because that’s all they can afford

Q: You idiotic luddites should just upgrade to Windows 10 rather than shoehorning Windows 8 to the cutting-edge device that clearly does not deserve the old, shitty Windows 8. Also, I am a Windows 10 fanboy.
A: Before you get angry and all that, I actually do want to upgrade to Windows 10. I mean, how cool is that to have ruler in OneNote? However, it is hampered by quite a lot ergonomic usability issues, bugs, and the general quirkiness of Tablet Mode. As of today, Tablet Mode is nowhere near final. Not even the Task View has proper animation in Tablet Mode, it already tells how half-assed the Tablet Mode is.

10 hours battery life
[WIKI] Optimizing the battery life of your V
Mass performance benchmark
[F] Windows 8.1 drivers

Why Windows 8.1?

The drivers probably aren’t compatible with Windows 8.1, and were designed only for 10. Windows software doesn’t do a good job going backwards like that. Also, other than the UI, Windows 8.1 had its issues (8 was 100x worse, but still), and this could very well be the fact that 8.1 just isn’t a very well function OS. My guess is incompatibility of drivers though, probably won’t work with 7 either.

Why do you want to do that? Out of genuine curiosity, what makes it better than 10?

Mainly this:

Just like those two blokes, Im not a big fan of Windows 10 on a tablet. Windows 8.1 had better touch gestures, many of which were copied by Apple in iOS 11 for the iPad.

Make no mistake, Windows 10 is a fantastic desktop OS, and I am currently writing on my desktop PC running Windows 10. But on a touchscreen slate device, using Windows 10 feels just as bad as using 8.1 on a 17" laptop with no touchscreen.

If you want the full explanation, I have a full list of (mainly) touch-centric features that are removed in W10 here:
  • There is no option to make all tiles larger or smaller (tiles scaling, independent of system scaling)
  • You cant multi-select tiles and move them together
  • You cant multi-select apps in the all-apps list either. So you cant uninstall or pin apps together.
  • And you will do that a lot, because the layout doesn’t sync across devices
  • The start button on the charms bar is gone. You have to hit the tiny start button in the corner to go to the start screen. While its not a big problem on the SP3 and earlier Windows tablets since it has the physical start button on the correct position, its a major issue on other tablets, including the V
  • Cortana, the replacement for the search charm, is not reachable from either thumbs.
  • Switching to the last app with the new Task View requires twice as many steps (swipe, and tap) AND twice as many hands.
  • So does snapping. You cant do that with only one swipe now.
  • I cant snap 3 apps side-by-side anymore.
  • It doesn’t remember the snap state. Say, I have 2 apps side-by-side, then I open another app in fullscreen. I cant go back to the previous 2 side-by-side apps without resnapping them manually.
  • The taskbar doesn’t go away when im watching a video or playing Asphalt
  • And if you set it on auto-hide, it doesnt auto-hide reliably. It keeps staying on till you re-tap it.
  • Unlike the charms bar that follows your finger when you trigger it, the Action Center just have a hardcoded animation. It seems like Action Center gesture is a tacked-on feature, which would be great but…
  • Action Center cannot be disabled. That prevents me from opening the taskbar if I have it on the right side and its on auto-hide. This is a design flaw.
  • The clock on that corner consists of like eleven pixels and roughly three millimeters tall. Its tiny compared to the one in 8.1
  • The start menu needs major overhaul. At its current state, you have to hit the little hamburger in the corner to reach all apps (like Windows 8.0) instead of just swiping anywhere.
  • You cant pinch-out in the all-apps list to pick the letter.
  • Im not allowed to see my desktop.
  • I can’t go to 25% brightness without blinding myself with 100% first. That stupid toggle.
  • No touch-friendly file picker
  • The back button doesn’t work on some apps, yet present all the time, unlike in desktop mode
  • And if you do press that back button on unsupported apps, you will be thrown away from that app. I cant think of a bigger middle finger in an operating system.
  • Quick actions in the Action Center has no consistency. Some are buttons, some are simple toggles. For example, the WiFi icon on the systray behaves differently compared to the one in Action Center.
  • Edge: Tap-and-hold functionality to emulate hover is gone
  • Edge: No fullscreen mode, unlike either metro or desktop IE

And these are arbitrary limitations made by MS on Tablet Mode, because they think tablet users are a bunch of idiots, and all desktop users are all power users.

• You’re forced to hit that tiny button in that corner to see “most used” apps (more of full-screen start issue in general)
  • You’re not allowed to have the search bar on the taskbar, only the search icon despite there is tons of wasted space there
  • You’re not allowed to use “Virtual Desktop” feature which is actually great for split-screen combinations in Tablet Mode
  • You’re not allowed to see the desktop either
  • You’re not allowed to toggle between regular and full-screen start menu
  • You’re not allowed to tap-and-hold on the taskbar to launch Task Manager
  • You’re not allowed to disable the Action Center swipe-in gesture. Yes I tried all the registry and gpedit tweaks

In most cases, it’s probably the other way around. People who don’t want Windows power on a tablet would’ve bought an iPad. People who don’t want Windows power on a desktop would still buy a desktop because that’s all they can afford

Yes I am aware of that, I was hoping if maybe the community could help me find the 8.1 drivers for those components, or have some experience on working with the Intel SkyCam system

For many of those things, there should be 3rd party apps for this. And if you find any, please add them to the Software Tools thread.

Winaero Tweaker will actually allow you to disable it (it’s just one or two reg keys I believe).

I have found a way to add your own buttons with commands to action center, I just don’t have a clean way to do so yet. Hopefully adding this like Cortana and Start Menu will work fine, and I’ll be sure to share if I get it working.***

Huh?

There’s a slider in the software tools, but maybe I can find where the percentage values for the Action Center button are and tweak it.***

This is stupid, I agree. Win8 had menus that showed up in what is now the action center, and Win10 stupidly doesn’t do that.

***EDIT: Turns out this is [stupidly] hard coded into Windows, and there’s no way to change it. I also don’t believe there is any reliable way to add non-standard buttons to the Action Center without sacrificing the apps that are already there. I apologize if I got anybody’s hopes up.

Could you list what you did to get the more esoteric drivers working? I had to do a clean install of windows (not recovery partition, but from a USB) and now I’m missing drivers…

If youre on Windows 10, Id recommend contacting @iKirin as he has all the proper drivers.

If youre on Windows 8.1, I will be releasing the driver package very soon (like literally in a few hours, its uploading now), followed by the complete image (think of custom ROM on Android phones)

Here’s how it works from my observation (not 100% accurate):

• Intel Serial IO driver ‘unlocks’ other components (such as the SD card reader), so you need to make this this is installed first.
  • Intel HID Filter for the touchscreen
  • Camera needs 3 sets of drivers to work: 1) The camera driver itself (OVxxxx), 2) Intel Control Logic is responsible for activating the camera (giving the power) and 3) Intel SkyCam for decoding/encoding the picture from the camera. SkyCam consists of Intel AVStream 2500, Intel Signal Processor 2500, and Intel CSI2 Host.
  • Intel DPTF driver
  • Intel ME driver
  • Intel Chipset driver
  • Intel Virtual Buttons for the buttons
  • Sensor drivers are posted in the driver update, make sure those are installed too
  • GPU, Bluetooth and WiFi are completely independent to other components, so you can install it at any time

Having those should get rid of most warnings in the Device Manager.

Could your 8.1 steps work on windows 10? thats what I’m running atm…
@iKirin - any thoughts?

The 8.1 steps are specifically to make 8.1 work on the V. If you are using Windows 10 it would be better to install the drivers Eve has released earlier, which can be found below:

These aren’t all the drivers, only the updates to the ones that come preinstalled.
Ive already installed these, but I’m missing a few of them in the device manager.

Hi, the guide should be similar on Windows 10 as the hardware works in a similar manner. The only difference is the driver package that I compiled consist of mainly older, less-optimized packages as all the new ones are not backwards compatible