Windows 10 S announced for Tablets

I dont see why anyone would draw an equivalent between Windows RT and Windows 10S. W10S limits running executables to only the ones acquired from the Windows Store, be it UWP, WinRT, Win32, or whatever that is.

On the other hand, Windows RT, as the name implies, only runs WinRT executables, which happens to only be distributed in Windows Store. Store is not the main issue here, but WinRT, which was a totally new thing at the time, plus the rejection of the general population towards the metro UI.

As an example, I dont expect iTunes to ever come to WinRT, as it requires re-writing the program from scratch, but uploading existing Win32 program to Windows Store is a totally different thing and can be done in a couple of days, or less.

Regarding Windows RT, I believe it failed not because of apps, not because of the consumer market, not because of Microsoft, but simply because of Intel. Near the launch of Windows 8 and RT, Intel released Clover Trail Atom that matched ARM CPUs battery life and speed, but offers x86 apps as its key advantage. Almost all OEMs went with Atom as a result, since there was no advantage to build a device using ARM and Windows RT. As a result, there wasnt many Windows RT devices on the market, and people cannot buy something thats not available. The only option for ARM was Surface RT and Surface 2, and those werent exactly cheap.

Agreed @Hifihedgehog.
EDIT: @pauliunas you seem to be missing my point.

That’s only partially true. Not all viruses reside inside applications, so if you strike that out, people will simply stop writing such viruses and start writing them so that they don’t need to be installed with an application. There are dozens of other ways to get a virus into a computer… Controlled distribution of applications does help tremendously in current situation, but as I said, situation will change. The people who write malware don’t write it blindly, they write it so that it actually works. If putting it inside a known program doesn’t work anymore, they’ll find another way. They always do. And then that other way will inevitably become just as widespread as current most popular methods of virus distribution.

I understand it perfectly @pauliunas it makes perfect sense and agree with you. but we then will continue adapting to situation changes as they arise. Agreed?

Sure, if you can make such drastic changes… let me think… every week or so? I mean seriously, you aint’t gonna run away from malware. It won’t help. A good antivirus is a much better solution and it adapts fast to new types of malware. And I’m not talking about that preinstalled joke, I’m about an actual real antivirus with good protection.

I still think you are missing a few points about the Overall OS and are just focusing on the Virus part of my argument. but thats ok. If they do a huge push for developers to push their apps to the store i think it will be a successful/cheaper OS for mass consumers/education and you and i can bicker back and forth, but all we can do is wait. or maybe tell the Antivirus companies to develop apps for the store as well and our virus problem will be solved :stuck_out_tongue:

That point alone really proves the point that controlled application distribution is a wall against the majority of malware.

It’s not like every system has a magic bullet to break in full-force. Just because there’s a way to infect computers through applications and user action directly doesn’t mean hackers will ever find an obvious way to break in via other means.

It makes it hard to write malware indeed. But if there’s demand, people always find ways. There is not enough demand for iOS malware because people would rather target other platforms like Windows. However, if there’s enough demand there’s always a way. Remember how they said Denuvo is the ultimate uncrackable DRM? Well, it isn’t anymore thanks to CPY.