Windows 10 facial recognition?

Its a wonderful feature on my SP4, requiring no touch and will be integrated into many more websites and apps in the near future. Fingerprint is sooo 80s!

I think you got it wrong. The fingerprint scanner is INSIDE the power button. You don’t need to do anything at all, it just automagically unlocks your device. You won’t even know it’s there!

Also since the facial recognition works via the Windows Hello API that means you’ll be able to use it with the fingerprint reader of the V :slight_smile:

Hi @Steveborough!

It’s a great question. We have considered both solutions from usability standpoint and after consulting with community and Microsoft decided that super fast Fingerprint reader in the power button (that you can’t even see:) ) is a very fast and precise solution. The speed of the Fingerprint scanner is comparable to Apple IPhone etc.

@pauliunas I think you got my concern wrong.

@Konstantinos With the recent PC focus on the disabled and accessibility plus the many times I myself required a touch-less login this is a step backwards. (to clarify, not including facial recognition is 1 step backward but the V is many steps forward) The 2-in-1 market must embrace such features that set it apart from regular laptops to empower new ways to interact with devices and the world.

Some examples that come to mind:

• ruggedized cases blocking the fingerprint scanner

• gloves on (for weather or work)

• I was cooking the other day and following a recipe on my SP4, thankful i didnt need to touch anything to login, just a simple tap of the power button with my wrist since my hands were dirty

• injuries requiring casts or splints or damage to fingerprint

I manage IT for a retail brand, facial recognition on the SP4 wins hands down for in-store deployments versus fingerprint scanners. Facial Recognition is a next-level stand out feature that distinguishes a device from the rest of the pack and should be reconsidered. So mad I missed that vote, I would have made it my job for a few days convincing members (the majority of which likely never used Facial Recognition on win10) otherwise.

Really, 2 USB A ports?!! I bet the people who voted for that are the same people that were mad when RS-232 serial was removed from their Toshiba Portégés. 1 is plenty!

I had tried out the facial recognition route about a year ago and ditched it. I don’t have the patience to sit there while the PC decides if it’s me or not. Way faster to just type a pin. Also if I didn’t stay centered in front of the camera or went for a coffee it would sign me out arbitrarily. I use a pin or password instead now.
Fingerprint, if it works well may be better. I have yet to try it.

My SP4 recognizes me instantly and from about every angle (though I’ll admit I trained Windows Hello to recognize me in angles and with my glasses on, because otherwise it would’ve been sucky). I’ve heard people say they dislike the Windows Hello way of logging in because it doesn’t recognize them or is very slow, it’s so different from my experiences. xD

I really will miss the facial recognition feature! Although in the end I think I can live without it. I’m a bit spoiled, but the finger print reader sounds good as well and will probably be just as easy in 95/100 cases. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just imagine it has facial recognition. Done. It works the same way: you press the power button and something unlocks your device.

@pauliunas You can also open the tablet or tap the keyboard or move the mouse. Facial Recognition works amazingly and if you tried it on a trained SP4, trust me, everything else is archaic by comparison! What you obviously fail to understand is that Windows Hello is being implemented on the web and in secure apps. Windows Hello will be broadened to authenticate almost every password you enter while computing. Although this will work with fingerprint, the effortlessness of facial recognition is a godsend!

Yes, and our fingerprint scanner = Windows Hello. Windows Hello includes pin, face, fingerprint and pattern locks. They all work with the same functions.
Anyway, why the hell would you keep your device locked but still running? Isn’t that a waste of battery life? If you aren’t using the device, then press the power button to put it to sleep. That way you won’t be able to wake it up by just touching the screen or the keyboard (which prevents accidental wake up), but you will not be wasting battery life. And if you’re using the power button to unlock, the unlock is seamless.
And the best method to me is still “no password”. Nothing will beat that. I just don’t give my devices to whoever passes through. They’re always in my backpack, or pocket, or safely locked at home. Unless I’m using them :slight_smile:

@pauliunas We’re clearly at different user levels, my device is required to be locked when not in use. While plugged in it is always on but locked, unlocking is easy as moving the mouse, tapping the keyboard, etc… Facial Recognition is by far the best implementation of Windows Hello; V is a no-compromise device EXCEPT for this!

Umm ok I have no idea why you would keep a device running when not using it, but ok… it’s too late. But honestly, I would have chosen a fingerprint scanner anytime, as it’s a time-tested technology so there won’t be any bugs or it won’t go crazy when you have your hair cut. And most importantly, it’s less expensive.

@pauliunas Guess you’ve never worked in an office? And judging by your statements, have never used facial recognition on the SP4. This is also the second time you’ve mentioned a “no-bug” scenario, clearly you don’t understand how technology is developed either. MS went with facial over fingerprint (in the Surface line) for a reason, it works better and is more intuitive. Furthermore, with those 2 things, will encourage better security practices for its users, the tech and non-tech savvy alike.

For me it’s not even about such things. I’m just a bit crazy and think there’s something about a computer actually recognizing your face. xD It really makes it feel like “my device” more than anything else. But that’s probably also why I could live without, I just think it’s cute, but fingerprint reader works for me too, lol.

Nothing can beat “don’t give your computer to assholes” security :smile:
Here in Lithuania, we lock our offices when we leave. You get to share your office with a couple of people often, but want that or not, you become close friends to those people. And again, you still haven’t explained me why you need it to be on when you’re not using it :slight_smile:

When you mention working in an office - I can’t imagine using a laptop (or a 2-in-1) without it being closed and connected to a docking station with monitors and other peripherals, so login via webcam is not that useful :slight_smile:

In my case if I get up to use the bathroom it has to be locked; if I get up to talk to someone for 30 seconds, it has to be locked; heck I’m currently breaking the rules by not using a physical privacy filter on my SP4 screen right now! Policy dictates that it should be locked (not necessarily off or sleeping) whenever I am not directly in front of it. Corporate security can be a nightmare but trust me, as I’ve been in IT for over 20 years, it is essential. More important, many personal privacy and security concerns would be alleviated if everyone in the world (not just CIOs or techies) adopted such practices. Which leads me to…why hasn’t your “time-tested” technology done this for PCs, its been around for decades!! Fingerprint often becomes more of a hassle than a convenience. It works in phones because they are handheld devices facilitating short interactions with critical data (Credit Cards, bank accounts, pictures, email, etc…) As 2-in-1s close the gap and are empowered with similar functionality and reliance, a better/easier choice must be implemented to improve how we manage convenience vs security on our PCs.

@nyerel That makes absolutely no sense. Mine is open and connected to the surface dock with an external monitor. This is Microsoft’s main office usage scenario. They don’t intend you to close the Surface like a traditional laptop (you should have gotten a regular laptop) they expect you to complement its beautiful screen with an external one and retain touch screen/facial recognition/webcam/microphones/speakers etc.

Facial recognition is functional and futuristic at the same time, yes. But when you consider that the V was also trying to get the costs down, to give users the best balance of price vs functionality, the fingerprint scanner is just as good if not better.

Then just click the power button. And then click it again to unlock. That way it goes to sleep :slight_smile: