Will pulling off the screen protector will damage the anti-reflect coating?

With all that I do not understand, why then have any coating, if it is “protected” (and canceled) by a screen protector?

I would like to see a glass screen protector with coating on it… why not? Or the coating on the back side where it touches the screen :smiley:

Why I say all that… I have a SP4 which I bought instead of being a V-backer. It has this glossy screen - unusable for outside in the sun… So I bought a matte screenprotector for it. I THINK I might have to replace it b/c it becomes ever more “whitish” by drawing on it.
Later I bought a Dell XP with coating… I tried it out outside and it is usable :slight_smile: I hoped that the V would be like this. (I bought the Dell way after I ordered a V in the FS - the Dell 15" being my regular computer, the V should be used outside like the SP now…)

Eve intended for the device to be usable without a screen protector if the customer choose. The AR coating issue was unexpected and unfortunately isn’t soemthing that can easily be fixed. It’s not ideal, I know, but it is what it is. The best option available is to use a screen protector that fits your needs.

So I decide to get one brotect protector
Will do some reviews about it :thinking:

Could someone paste in the email they received from Eve on the anti-reflective coating issue? I’m curious to see what the official word is on this. Thanks.

The main problem is that the keys are not recessed enough in the keyboard (and have pretty sharp corners), so when the keyboard is pushed against the screen in its closed position, any movement between the keyboard and screen causes the screen to be scratched.

However, it’s not just the V with this problem. I’ve seen reports of other detachables having the same issue.

“As you prepare to receive your device, we just wanted to let you know that we recommend using a screen protector for your V’s screen. While uncommon, we have found that sometimes dust or other foreign matter between the keyboard and the screen can scratch the coating on the screen. Using the protector will keep the coating safe.”

Yep and that’s why glasses seldom have this kind of issue even they are AR coated, they are supported with frames, without any crushes like kb
(The problem will be minimized if is not AR coated

Oh, thanks for clarifying ! The AR coating is applied by default on top of the Gorilla Glass ?

Would putting a protector hurt the quality of the screen ? Like making it more blurry etc.

I guess I will just place a laptop cloth between the screen and the keyboard when I bring the V out…

Weekly Update 01.02

So I understand, the problem is the anti-reflective coating does not work underneath a screen protector. So while as Eve states, the protector “keeps the coating safe”, it will also remove any benefits of having an anti-reflective coating. For that reason, people might want use a different method, like some form of cloth between the keyboard and screen.

Oh, I missed something . . . a screen protector makes the anti-reflective coating useless? :hugs:

I think it does, as the protector itself will be reflective, except it’s matte.

you are joking? sarcasm?

No, just don`t remember having read an user post confirming/ infirming it.:roll_eyes:
Please light my lantern.

Well it makes sense … You have a screen made of glass and put a coating on it to make it less reflective. Then you go ahead and put another sheet of glass without a coating on it. In the end you’re looking at a piece of glass that reflects like any other glass and below that a coated glass which reflects a little less.

I thought that screen protectors are all (independent of there name) made from plastic.:thinking:

Alot of screen protectors are made from glass. Look at phone screen protectors advertising being glass and having hardness 9H for example. The aftermarket ones for the V are made of glass as well if I’m not mistaken. The one that comes in the box is a piece of plastic. It sucks though, bubbles everywhere and ok for touch, but swiping on something is quite weird. And it’s also reflective :smiley:

Do you know any matt glass screen protector for the V ?

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/products/screen-protectors/article-selection.html?geraeteklasse=109&marke=Eve&modell=32192
There are a few matte ones listed here.
I personally have never tried one and can’t give any recommendations.

I have a plastic matte screen protector on my SP4. Over time (2 years now) it becomes like whitish in the middle from drawing with the pen on it. I will need to buy a new screen protector.
It also very distinctly marks every stroke - a microfiber thingy erases these marks a bit but it is kind of… annoying. So I am hoping that for the V I will need nothing, if I either ut a tissue between keyboard and screen or don’t put the keys against the screen…

The microfiber dingy is always a very good idea and even more without a screen protector.
I remember however having seen posts about low wearing resistance of the anti reflection layer.

Maybe usable for frequent pen use?

I looked and it does look I may have few very light scratches as I didn’t get an email about screen protectors and haven’t used the enclosed one because of this concern some voiced about scratching on the forum. I have a few packages of microfiber clothers, so I now am using one between the screen and the keyboard. I hope this will avoid scratches and also keep the display clean. Not sure if it will cause it to come on when in sleep or hibernate mode, so I just shut it down as it doesn’t take long to start up. Does anyone know if using a microber towel will cause the V to come on when its set to sleep or hibernate mode and the keyboard attached and closed?
Am I doing anything wrong? I see the eve email contents posted above but it still seems to say a screen protector according to each person’s needs, but what does that mean? If you want reflective properties, don’t use one, but if you want few scratches than use a screen protector?

I had a medium sized one between keyboard and screen from dbrand. It didn’t cause the laptop to switch between on and off but it also didn’t protect from scratches. Guess the magnets worked lol, and that I needed a larger cloth. Well I ordered a screen protector from brotect that everyone mentioned. Anyone know how long those take to ship to US?