[WIKI] Optimizing the battery life of your V

Hi folks, first of all I created this thread as a WIKI, which means you can edit it, add your favorite tips and tricks, do & don’ts, or tutorials.

This thread will contain everything related to battery life on your Eve V tablet.

Tips and Tricks

• Do not use a proprietary wireless (dongle) or wired mouse. Use a Bluetooth mouse instead. Personally, I would recommend either the Logitech MX Master or MX Anywhere 2

• From my testing, playing a video from the microSD card vs. internal SSD has negligible impact on power consumption

• Do not use the keyboard backlight unless you absolutely, really, have to. It is a huge battery drain (1-2 W translates to 2-3 hours). Source: 10 hours battery life

• If you do have to, set the keyboard backlighting color to either Red, Green, or Blue, as it would then only light up one LED instead of two or three. Source: 10 hours battery life

• Adblock helps in reducing the network transmission and CPU cycle required in browsing scenario.

• Personally I disable Windows Defender and SmartScreen to save even more battery. Only do this if you know what you’re doing

• Use Power Saving mode when possible, up to 2 hours of improvement. Source: Battery usage: artificial and real world test results. Here’s what happens behind-the-scenes when you activate Power Saving mode https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/component-guidelines/battery-saver

• Use Tablet Mode when possible. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/79liqf/use_tablet_mode_to_save_battery_life_since_it/

• Sick of switching modes? In Windows 8.1, you are the power saving mode button. Despite lacking “Power Saving Mode” or “Tablet Mode”, it would sip power when idle, just like Power Saving mode, and it would automatically switch gears to maximum performance when you need it. I manage to get 13 hours on average for browsing and OneNote. Check this out here Windows 8.1 for the Eve V.

Apps to avoid (and the alternatives)

Troubleshooting

If you got bad battery life, try to perform the following steps:

• Do you have any USB peripherals plugged in? A single USB 3.0 peripheral could take up to 4.5 W of power, essentially doubling the power consumption of the tablet.

• What’s your screen brightness? 100% brightness gets roughly half the battery life of 0% brightness!

• Do you have the keyboard backlighting on?

• Do you have any audio playing?

• Open the Task Manager, go to “Processes” tab (first tab), as well as “App History” (third tab) after you checked Options > “Show history for all processes”, both sorted by CPU usage. See if there is an app with unusual CPU usage.

• Use perfmon to monitor the power consumption. As a reference, this is the battery life that you should be getting under the standard configuration Battery usage: artificial and real world test results

• Alternatively, you can use BatteryBar batterybarpro.com/ to keep tab on the power consumption from the taskbar

• Perform the battery report, and power efficiency diagnostics by running the following command in Command Prompt with Administrator privilege.

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html
powercfg /sleepstudy /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\sleepstudy_report.html
powercfg -energy -output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Power_Efficiency_Diagnostics_Report.html

As a general guide:

• 8W of power consumption means 6 hours battery life
  • 7W of power consumption means 7 hours battery life
  • 6W of power consumption means 8 hours battery life
  • 5W of power consumption means 10 hours battery life
  • 4W of power consumption means 12 hours battery life
  • Less than 4W of power consumption? Stop reading, edit this wiki and add your tips and tricks

Usual suspects of high CPU usage

• Windows Modules Installer Worker (TiWorker.exe). It is normal after you install an update or Windows components, such as adding a new language. It would take up to an hour after a Windows component install. For updates, it really depends on the size of the update itself.

• Windows Defender. It is normal in a new install, as it needs to scan the whole system, including the Windows system files. Windows Defender doesn’t trust Windows.

Tweaks

Prevent Windows Search from indexing the drive while on battery

Copy the following text, and save it as a .reg file such as prevent_index_on_battery.reg. Make sure it is not prevent_index_on_battery.reg.txt

Then double click on the .reg file. You should get something like this:

Once it’s been imported, you don’t need the .reg file anymore, you can delete it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
“PreventIndexOnBattery”=dword:00000001

Disable Windows Defender USE WITH CAUTION

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection]
“DisableRealtimeMonitoring”=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
“DisableAntiSpyware”=dword:00000001

Reduce the WiFi card transmission power

From my experience, however, reducing the transmission power really hits the performance. I went from 300 Mbps to 6 Mbps, so if you got slow network speed after performing this tweak, you may want to revert it back to the original setting

Other articles worth reading

Poll

What kind of battery life are you getting?

• 4-6 hours
  • 6-8 hours
  • 8-10 hours
  • 10-12 hours
  • 12+ hours

0 voters

(feel free to change your vote if your battery life has changed, such as if you see a change after following this guide)

[FAQ] About the battery in the V
Longer return period
Students battery life test results
IGG Backers! - Where Are You Now? - Did You Get Your V At Last? How come you don't share your joy with us?
[SPOILERS!] Official Collection of Eve V reviews Wiki
[B] Sleep battery power drain
Dear Eve people, this is where we stand
Any tips for improving V battery life?

Thanks for the summary!

Did you test the different colours of the keyboard or do just assume that it’s that way? Because “mixed” colours could also be activating every second LED of the colour they need or one LED can do all the different colours depending on the voltage.

Ah good catch, I forgot to put the source

Very thorough! Thank you.

Let me add another trick: don’t keep the audio above 50% unless you need to. Use headphones instead.

Source:

There’s probably other tips in that video…

Hi, thanks for putting all this together. One question to this:

Where should the reg file be stored - what to do with it?
Thanks for letting me know.
F.

Ah sorry I forgot the last, most crucial step: Double click on the .reg file. You should get something like this:

Once it’s been imported, you don’t need the .reg file anymore, you can delete it.

To answer your other question: The reg file could be stored anywhere, but personally I always put that on the desktop.

Thanks. That was quick and clear :slight_smile:

For radical ebook Reading sessions:
Open your favourite ereader.
Enable airplane mode,
Hide taskbar.
Enable Windows Magnifier. CRTL+WIN+M Set zoom to 100%
Enable inverted colors CRT+ALT+I
Enable greyscale mode: CRTL+WIN+C
Disconnect keyboard.

Enjoy!

This exact guide was posted yesterday on /r/Surface. You grabbed it from there I assume?

Hah good catch! Im the one who posted that one too. I just removed the V-specific tips like the keyboard color.

Haha awesome! I knew there was a connection with the two. Solid info. Obviously can’t do everything all the time without restricting yourself, but the tips are great!

sorry another question (by not so savvy person :neutral_face: …), I only copied the last line

“PreventIndexOnBattery”=dword:00000001""
and made a .reg out of it (no txt)… , but…
How do I know it goes to the right place in the registry?
thanks…

Do you mean you only copied " “PreventIndexOnBattery”=dword:00000001 " ?

If so, that’s your problem.

A .reg script (what Patrick is instructing you to make) needs three components to operate:

• The version of the registry editor, which is listed in the first line: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

• The path to the registry key (this is know it goes to the right place in the registry): [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]

• And the value to insert into the registry key: “PreventIndexOnBattery”=dword:00000001

It will only work if you copy all the lines that Patrick has posted, otherwise the script will just not do anything.

You can also choose to manually edit this value in the registry, all the instructions are in the text posted. This isn’t recommended however because one small mistake while openly editing the registry can really mess up your operating system.

thank you, – shall I really respond or will I be labeled a dummy :smirk: …?
well I did not have any problem - b/c I did not do anything yet. I guess I am too stupid (though I did edit registries in the past w/o problems… but with instructions I understood… :expressionless: )
So, what I understood, copy the 3 lines and paste it into a notepad file, then when saving the file: rename it from .txt to .reg.
Now, I am unclear about:
Do I need the blank lines?
How do I know that the Registry Editor Version 5.00 is the right one for my system?
How do I know that the file is in the exact same location (I guess I can look it up/ for it there?)?
ok, call me dummy :roll_eyes: :frowning:

Not necessarily, but might as well add them.

Unless you’re running Windows 98 or older, that is the correct version. I have a feeling your computer isn’t old enough to vote though :wink:

Doesn’t matter where the file is located. I haven’t done any research on the key Patrick posted, but generally speaking registry keys aren’t stored in different locations.

The location of the .reg file? Doesn’t matter at all. The way it works is like I said earlier, everything that it needs is in the instructions Patrick posted.

Nah, you’re fine! It’s understandable if you’re not sure how this works, registry things are kinda complicated.

Not to discredit anybody else in the community, but any of us Senior Creators (we’ve got the little light bulb next to our picture) are pretty trustworthy (otherwise we’ll have the title revoked). If we post a wiki or a detailed solution (as Patrick did) you can trust that the directions given are most likely correct.

If you still have trouble understanding the instructions it’s okay to ask questions! Not specifically relating to your questions, but some of the things we post/discuss can be a bit complicated (and will almost always carry a warning), and if it feels like it’s over your head, perhaps it’s best just to ignore it and wait for a simpler solution.

:smiley: right

ok :slight_smile:

no no I meant the above.

It’s not that I did not trust you or Patrick (I know about the “light bulb” and other icons), it’s that I did not understand the instructions :wink: Now I think I do. I think this is something (not indexing whenever the computer likes :smirk: ) that could really help, I get the impressions (maybe I’m wrong?) computers do that all the time :smiley: If it is one that’s plugged in I don’t care as long as it doesn’t slow it down, but with these devices we mostly use on battery, I would like they do that when it is appropriate :wink: