Why the next project should be a 8-10" detachable tablet

Actually I think it’s really good idea. Think about it form a user ‘workflow’ perspective.

Option A) a $50 dumb dock with power delivery and speakers, no assistant UI because it doesn’t exist for windows 10. Basically a pointless device unless it also functions as a PC dock (hdmi out etc)

Option B) a $100-150 smart speaker dock, all of the above (Inc hdmi out) and also a fully functioning standalone smart speaker that can also ‘project’ an assistant Ui onto a tv (via hdmi out) and also to the mini tablet via magnetic attachment and usb-c.

The smart dock although expensive if far more useful and can be used without the tablet. Basically we could build a smart speaker than when you look at it looks just like an ordinary smart speaker but the mini tablet can seemlessly be attached to it. You end up with a modularly extensible smart speaker rather than a smart dock. It’s the same thing just marketed and designed from a different angle. If the smart speaker(dock) is given the opportunity to be a self sufficent device that is part of a larger ecosystem rather than just an accesory for the tablet then it makes sense. Imagine a google home hub with detachable screen

This is why i keep saying that Eve has to make many affordable highly interoperable devices that create an ecosystem. If they muddle from one form factor to the next without any commonality apart from the logo and black colour then theyll be just another oem. If they want to be like apple then they have to think different. Eve can only work form factor at a time so there needs to be common thread so existing customers adopt new devices as well as new customers.

The problem is the difference between the “smart dock” vs. “dumb dock + Echo Show” is just an LCD panel, and I’d imagine most people would rather have them as two independent items. Especially considering the Google Home Hub itself is $100-150, why would you spend the same amount of money, get no display, and forced to have the tablet tethered to it?

HOWEVER, if the Google Assistant could somehow access the contents (songs, etc.) inside the device, then we could be onto something. But otherwise, I dont see it more than a niche within a niche.

Interesting idea. Would that plug into the USB-C port and have a pass through port?

Having the ability to extend the battery life would be nice. On the other hand, I would really want waterproof-ability and if that would only be available via a case then I would prefer swappable batteries. Makes it easier to design a case for it.

Metal conducts cold and kills battery life. iPhone’s especially suffered from this. As soon as they went to the glass body we started seeing better battery life in the cold. My iPad Mini has the same problem. We’ve noticed Android phones getting worse whenever a manufacturer switched from a plastic body to metal and we’re seeing the same improvment as they switch to glass.

I really liked plastic housings. If you’re not trying to offer an IP rating then I think they’re ideal if you want a removable battery.

Wireless charging almost has to be a feature these days. I think LTE is pretty important to. It would be awesome to produce a device that’s capable of being connected to whatever carrier you want.

what’s that, b/w? ? Is that as an ereader?

I prefer b/w (with no light) to read. I have a bunch of ereaders, each one has flaws I do not like and each one has good qualities I like.
I dislike android ereaders very much. Don’t have experience with Windows tablets.
I need something that handles pdfs very well (like the OLD Ikarus 8" (NON-android) did, that was/is perfect, they don’t make them anymore :tired_face:

@ keyboard: probably if one really needs to type, a whatsoever BT only keyboard would do…

Excuse me for my ignorance but where will the games be coming from? Nintendo has their own thing, but windows store isn’t very compelling. Steam has a good selection (I think) but what are the odds this will be strong enough to run any mainstream good games from there?
I just want to know if this is gonna be powerful enough for me to want. Because I would get it if I could use it like a switch with more options.

Yeah you have a point , I think there’s an inrestkng device idea in there somewhere but it depends highly on the software rathe rthan the hardware. Also in general I think having dedicated ‘assistant’ based devices like the echo devices is rather silly and very inefficent from a hardware perspective.

Having a removable battery adds complexity, parts, cost to the main devices and makes water resistance very difficult. A monolthic waterproof tablet with a thin snap on battery is a much more economic option in my view . It will also result in a sleeker more pleasant looking device.

This is a very fair question. I must admit im not a PC gamer so im only familar with steam which as i understand it is the best gaming platform on pc. The windows store also has some decent full pc games broght over from xbox one. The likelyhood that it will be able to run the steam library depends on the cpu we use. Right now its a toss between qualcomms 855/8cx and intels lakeview platfrom. Both of which will have enough grunt to surpass the switch and come close to xbox one levels of performance especially if we consider an mx150 egpu in the controller.

The conundrum is tradeoffs. Qualcomm chip are cheao and efficient in theory but performace is unproven and native game compatibility is likely minimal. On the intel side there is very good game compatibility but intels chips have poor graphics and efficiency. adding an egpu fixes perfomace but costs get really high. It all depends on intel lakeviews perfomace, cost, efficency and tb3 compatibility.

One saving grace is Microsofts upcoming game streaming platform. That will be a perfect fit for this device.

Ideally it should be treated like a regular ACPI (secondary) battery.

In Windows, you can monitor the status of each battery. By default, the computer will drain the second battery first. When charging, it will charge the first battery first. I am not too familiar with the configuration and how a battery can be “programmed” to be secondary, I think it will have to be configured on firmware level. Either way it should be more integrated than the “dumb” iPhone battery cases.

I really liked plastic housings. If you’re not trying to offer an IP rating then I think they’re ideal if you want a removable battery.

Note that plastic housing and removable battery are not necessarily related to each other. You can build a device with plastic housing and sealed-in battery (Lumia 800, 900, 920), or in contrast, a metal housing and removable battery (old Moto Razr, LG G5). Although plastic is indeed a great material for the removable back panel due to its flexibility.

Wireless charging almost has to be a feature these days.

Not on tablets. No iPad or Surface model has wireless charging today.

Most Windows games can be handled by the MX150 if you don’t mind setting somewhere between low 720p - med 1080p depending on the game. 720p might sound crazy, but remember, on a small tablet, 720p in gaming isn’t all that bad. After all, the vast majority are still playing at 1080p on a screen 7x the size.

When it comes to lighter games like Fortnite, this will do no problem even at higher settings and resolution.

In addition to native Windows games, there is also a possibility for emulator (even better match for a controller), as well as older titles. Titles from 5-10 years ago can be played using low-end GPU today.

But most importantly, as mentioned in the beginning, a lot of those will have to do with game streaming services. It would be great if the controller accessory comes with free 1-2 years of game streaming from a partner company.

Yep it’s a black and white e ink cover that could possibly support pen. The cover would snap on like the v’s keyboard and would result in a dualscreen device like intel tiger rapids

It could also be attached in reverse and the eink screen would be on the outside when the cover is closed so it functions like a normal e reader but with pen functionality.

I wonder what kind of software supports it though, or do you just treat it like a secondary monitor?