What woud be your choice between those 2 in 1 laptops

Hello,

I am looking for a 2 in 1 13 inch laptops.

What would be your choice between the Dell XPS 13 2 in 1, the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga and the Hp spectre x360?

Do you have another pick?

Thanks!

Rami

For me the only question was “Dell, Lenovo, or HP”, and the answer will almost always be Lenovo.

Regarding the specific models, the XPS laptops are very nice, but Dell always has little bugs that annoy me very much. I mostly deal with the business line, so consumer may be a little different, but I doubt it.

HP is always a hit or a miss, and you never know whether you get the good computer or the piece of junk. A good friend of mine has been struggling with his Spector for over a year now, he’s on his 5th or 6th completely new (they’ve each been repaired several times too) computer, because random things just keep breaking. HP is always quick to fix it, but he has to send it off to be repaired/replaced more than once a month, which is ridiculous.

The ThinkPad yoga is (in my opinion) one of the weaker ThinkPads they’ve made. But still a very good computer. Sometimes they break, but it’s rare. It’ll still work better than 50% of the Dell’s and HP’s that roll out of the factory.

Check LEnovo Yoga 920…seems to be a good choice.

HP Dell then Lenovo for me
The HP spectres are really nice right now. And yeah HP has awful quality control but the warranty takes care of that. Their laptops are really good otherwise. You’ll get active stylus, great screen, battery, and really great looks and form factor.
I don’t think the dell 2 in 1 is better than their regular laptop and that bothers me. I’d want something that can do laptop and tablet well and I think HP nails that.
I don’t have a high opinion on Lenovo’s because of their junk bloat ware that my family got on the one we own. Also just overall terrible computer but it wasn’t high end.

The bloatware is awful, but Windows 10 is easy enough to reinstall (as you’ve seen Paul say 10000 times so far), that that shouldn’t deter from buying Lenovo anymore. Also, when getting one of the lower end computers, it probably won’t work well all together, regardless of brand.

Yeah, but it’s stupid to have to deal with in the first place. And its a lot easier to reinstall Windows on a Lenovo that [probably] won’t break, than to send in the HP once it does. HP also has a good amount of bloatware, Dell is one of the better manufacturers when it comes to that stuff.

I would opt for the Lenovo in my opinion. I’ve owned several XPS and the coil wine problem persists even though the product was released a couple of years ago.

I would stay away from HP, purely because of the problems I had with my own HP Zbook 15 G3. I am awaiting for my fifth laptop replacement.

As for the Lenovo, I’ve been provided a laptop from Lenovo for work and I’ve had no problem.

Both fair points.
The laptop was from win7 or 8 and I don’t know if i knew about reinstalling windows back then.

I still prefer HP becuase of their prices and design. I’ve been using em for years, and had few problems until the end.

I wouldn’t say Dell has “bugs” or anything… From what I know they make great laptops, business and personal. They also have better warranty than anyone else.

Oh yeah. Lately HP has been killing it with prices with the HP Spectre line, especially the 15 inch version of the x360 (an 8th gen, mx150, 512/16gb, touch/pen and 80wh battery compatible for $1500 seems like a good deal vs for what Lenovo/Dell has to offer. It’s a stark comparison for the likes of Surface Book 2).

For 2-in-1 I suggest waiting for the availability of 8th gen (because from early YT reviews, most minuscule problems like coil whine/fan noise, etc. are fixed), for whatever the brands has to offer. The Lenovo Yoga 920 (fixed most issues on the 910) and HP Spectre x360 looks like the top choices; I’m not sure if Dell XPS is a the 2-in-1 version or laptop but their offerings are quite pricy for even 1080p models. Though as @pauliunas said the Dell XPS 13/15 are much more warranty friendly and their parts are available.

The undermined brands for 2-in-1s are Samsung’s and ASUS’. They are priced kinda high and have quality issues. Samsung Notebook 9 Pro has PWM and low-storage for the price; ASUS usually have bad battery life (although 2017 seems fine) and weird choices for ports (mini-HDMI, just USB-C no TB3 for high price, USB 2.0 in 2017)–though ASUS is kind enough to actually include pen & multiple USB-C dongle for free in the box (which is Nice!). I don’t recommend the two because they seem really inconsistent, they change things up every year and it worries me for warranty/repair parts availability.

Just as an example from our latest batch (several hundred at least) of Latitudes:

When typing a word like “there” for example, where you have to type key A, key B, then key A again, it won’t register the second A. This happens on nearly every machine we have, and it happens consistently about 70% of the time. This becomes especially annoying typing passwords.

Dell support refused to believe this is an issue, despite several videos we have taken, but they have done everything to help us fix it and nothing has worked. New keyboards, updated firmware, new UEFI, new laptops, and it’s still there. Only with the onboard keyboard too. It’s not that bad, just annoying.

We’ve had a batch of older Latitudes that with only certain specific model numbers, would sometimes refuse to charge. No idea why, Dell did everything and never was able to fix it, and it was only that model, but all of them were doing it.

Had a set of optiplexes with AMD cards and having crossfire enabled wrecked Windows. Swapping cards with a different optiplexes and the error was unreproducable, only two of those specific cards in that specific optiplexes caused the problem.

Nearly every single batch we buy (for the last 10 years) just has some weird bug, and Dell often can’t find a remedy. Students also bring in consumer grade machines with odd bugs too, and we usually can’t figure those out either. None of them are that bad to work around, but annoying nonetheless. Otherwise Dell makes very good computers, and I am very fond of most non-alienware Dells.

It depends on what sort of 2-in-1 experience you’re looking for and whether you want a detachable keyboard or just a 360-hinge. Personally if my laptop could turn 360 degrees around, I would never use that feature and would then never experience it as a tablet (removing the 2 from the 2-in-1).

If you aren’t going to get an Eve V when the webshop opens here, then I think feature-wise the next closest thing is a Lenovo Miix 720. HP has some solid products, but the reliably good ones are really expensive since they mostly cater to businesses. Every time I see a Dell computer I get the feeling that they could have made it better, but just didn’t want to.

For the most part though, just go with whatever has the best specs you want for the best price. Remember that you will probably use more ram than you expect, and 8GB should be a bare minimum for the near future (Currently I’m just using Chrome browser and some background tasks on an HP Elitebook, taking up 6.7GB of RAM). Keep ports in mind when considering what devices you will use with it. Thunderbolt 3 is nice if you want to get TB3 external hard drives or eGPU options, but not necessary if you only intend to use it as a normal USB-C port. Also note that Dell has a history of claiming full Thunderbolt 3 ports on their devices even if they only have 2 PCIe lanes (1/2 the normal bandwidth).

Like what for example?

Hey folks,
Very interesting posts, but no V included.
Why not wait a bit more to be able to add the V in this list (Or go on an other two weeks and add the V) ?

I think this is more conceptual thinking. Asking what we like and dislike about each computer (these threads pop up all the time). And if somebody can’t wait until the webshop opens, then they can learn about the other computers before buying one.

Wow. That’s super annoying. Looks like they have some sort of masking/ghosting issue. I wonder if it has been mentioned in any reviews…

And warranty differs by country, so it might be different. Over here, I don’t think there is any better service than that of Dell’s. I think they would have replaced the laptop if it had this issue that you described… While I’m not certain about it, I’m sure no other manufacturer would even think of replacing it.

They have sent a few replacement laptops (and replaced the motherboard, keyboard cable, and keyboard) to no avail. They even released a firmware and bios update to try to fix it, but it didn’t. Even in Linux the problem persists.

Lenovo has always been very good to me about my warranty too, though it may be different out of the US.

Eve V, obviously :joy:

If you want to pick laptop for best battery life , design , portability , performance( office work not gaming or graphic work) , ports ,keyboard and touch pad I strongly recommend HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 .
I’m using it right now and really find it very good improvement than the sepctre line in many aspects .
but only problem is that it’s very pricey my unite (i7-16gb ram - 512 ssd ) costs 2500$ , so if you want to pay less than this I recommend Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 ( same configuration I think for 1600$ ).
but why you are asking this question now ! , eve is almost done and soon will open its online store wait and get their beast soon , I have bought my laptop 2 months ago to manage my tasks till eve come but now you should better wait and get eve for best productivity ( but this will depend on eve new prices when they open their online store)

I’d say the first thing you have to decide,is how much you’ll able to spend for it and then the main work which should be done with it. Meanwhile there are much more and many interesting devices on the market.

Well, like in my specific example, Dell quite literally released a Thunderbolt3 port that was only half-working since it only had half the PCIe lanes. They then published it as having full TB3, but only disclosed later that it was half bandwidth when consumers discovered that they weren’t able to use TB3 peripherals at full speed.

Dell tends to favor bulkier portables, with black and gray matte plastics. This is good for business oriented users, but for consumers that want a device that feels higher quality it leaves something to be desired. This is different for tablets and thinner laptops that need metal backing for rigidity, but I usually find they cut corners elsewhere (I/O, screen specs, speakers, etc) to save on costs. This isn’t the case with all Dell computers I’m sure, but it is just my perception of every Dell I’ve ever come in contact with or researched. I just don’t think they compare favorably to other vendors at the same price point, but they do at least offer reliable systems on the lower end of the spectrum.