What should a new notebook device offer?

Right, and there’d be a port on the side of the base for that. I meant the connection of the base to the not-V tablet. I think USB-C would be fine, and have a little bit more versatility. I could even stick my phone on the base! :joy:

I don’t know how much pins a tb3 protocol proprietary pogo pin connector needs? 16? But a standard USB-C connection would be funny…

If using TB3, wouldn’t it just behave as a dock? It should be easily removable. I do think direct PCIe connection is better, plus some additional connections for battery, ports, keyboard, etc. But it may be simpler for Eve just to us TB.

It would be funny, and I’d question the durability, but it’s the least-proprietary option. It would also save some time/money in engineering and development costs I’d think.

@Attiq What connection did you have in mind? Pogo pins? SB-style?

I had a standard tb3 connector in mind for a few reasons:

• open standard
  • already supports hot swappable gpu, any other connector would require significant software work to not crash on detach
  • already supports power
  • already has pcie lanes
  • is physically small

@Tsuki what do you think :slight_smile:

I like the offset hinge idea a lot, gives a lot of room for additional (and maybe removable) battery and ports. This could also have some nice cooling features if engineered properly.

In addition to that, it dramatically reduces the “top heavy” effect that lingers most detachable solutions, as demonstrated in this thread few months ago (it was with the V) [merged discussion topic] A Surface Book-like keyboard for the V

Rather than “offset hinge”, however, I prefer to call it this way…

Yeah the hinge is the main novel idea here. It does for a lot of cool things

• flush close in both tablet orientations
  • much better gpu exhaust
  • much better volume/verticle space for heatsink fins
  • much much better balance/ stability ( this has been confirmed by @Patrick_Hermawan with rough calculations)
  • space around the back for larger ports if necessary
  • hard stop when fully opening the screen eliminating screen wobble.

The basic premise is that its a full 13.5-15" tablet on top with reasonable battery life, therefore it can be sold with a standard type cover (or an e ink cover) or you can buy a base and dramatically improve battery and gpu performance,

The main downside of this is weight

It should in theory be simpler to engineer than the surface book because the hinge is simpler but that doesn’t mean its easy by any stretch of the imagination.

HOT SWAPPABLE BATTERY!

Add ThinkPad-like repairability and upgradeability to that, and I’m in!

Hey, was there particular reason why XPS was omitted?

I love ThinkPads, and I wish I had money to buy the Anniversary Edition just to have one.

The primary things I think this device needs:

• Ethernet
  • HDMI
  • Good keyboard (I’m thinking ThinkPad style)
  • Ability to be TB3 dock/eGPU for other devices through cable
  • Hot swappable battery (ThinkPad style, again), possibly two battery sizes
  • Good but not great GPU, maybe a 1050ti (or if we wait long enough, the 1150ti/2050ti, whichever it will be)
  • 4 Core/8 Thread CPU with excellent cooling
  • Bluetooth ability for the trackpad and keyboard

That sounds cool but how would that be implemented? :slight_smile:

Umm… Like the V?

Eve’s already set a standard with the V, if the keyboard is detachable it’s gotta have a wireless option.

Ah you were thinking about a deatachable :smiley:

I’m pretty much sold on @Attiq’s concept, and I really hope this is the way that Eve chooses to go. Plus I think most agree that the best market with the least competition is SB like devices.

Yeah I do think a surface book competitor is the more technologocally interesting product but I would caution against its complexity. I doubt eve can make a surface book competitor without any world class engineering help

That’s why I think a convertible like the one below is better for the time. Being much easier to engineer whilst also being very unique

Both will be a challenge bit a detachable considerably more so because of the detachment mechanism and the gpu/ports/battery over TB3

Not only I second this, but to me the clearly simpler device you hinted in your previous concept would already be borderline challenging for Eve to design, produce and market (complexity drives price up and, usually, sales down.)

My humble opinion… Eve could work and produce a traditional laptop (add touchscreen, why not if the majority of Community feels it’s important), - I voted Macbook pro 15’’, razer and surface laptop as competitors.

• Easier to design and produce… but it will still be a big challenge!, after all they would aim to produce the best (super)user-oriented laptop :slight_smile:
  • still huge market share and mind share, and users (or am I perhaps in a small minority that uses a laptop as his/her most used digital device???.. Poll?)
  • make bold but sound choices like it was done with the V (ports bonanza, usability vs unnecessary complications, hero battery, etc.)
  • AND, please, please, do not forget price into the equation: you won’t be selling many laptops to single private customers if base model is $1500+, that I’m pretty certain of.

Another thing to keep in mind: Eve could try to broaden its appeal by designing a laptop for business use.

V is already a good business laptop, but a little on the expensive side for most businesses.

I’ve done purchasing for a company before, and we find it really difficult to standardise on any computer, let alone a laptop. We generally have a minimum spec and then look up what offers are available on the day, as model numbers and offers seem to change every week. Certainly, I found it difficult to find the same laptop available for sale for longer than a month or two, and that means that as an IT department, you end up supporting so many different configurations it becomes difficult.

Yes, traditional manufacturers can and do create special models that are standardised for larger companies, but if you don’t have the volume, nobody wants to know. Similarly, on the small end, it’s difficult for IT services companies to standardise on a model for their customers, simply because there doesn’t seem to be a long term commitment to standardising on a model by the manufacturers.

Eve’s design and manufacturing turnaround seems to be quite long, because it is a small company. I suspect that in 2018 the V will only see a minor upgrade or new feature, if at all, given that we’re now looking at a dock or a bag. Just having six months between models, and having a clear unambiguous upgrade path could be something that small and medium business purchasers would value greatly. Having a long term support commitment (most corporate PCs last 3-5 years) would also be something they value.

For this to happen, Eve would need a mid-range (700-800€ ex VAT for an i5 with 8GB RAM is the current “standard business machine”, at least when I last looked), and high end laptop, as well as a flashy thing for the execs, which they already have in the V, and not update them too often. They also need solid financing deals in place with banks, in order to appeal to the more finance-conscious companies out there.

Purchasing managers are happy to talk directly to manufacturers, and are not scared of talking logistics. Eve should definitely consider this market as a future direction, and not just aim itself squarely at the high-end consumer.