What should a new notebook device offer?

Since both @Patrick_Hermawan and @Attiq made 2 great posts with polls about potential notebooks I wanted to take their polls and give them a dedicated topic with a personal spin on them! :smiley:

So, first of all: Which size do you think such a product should be?

• 13 inch
  • 14 inch
  • 15 inch

0 voters

Now, the market is big so which devices should be the main competitor it competes with & overtakes?

• MacBook (12")
  • MacBook Pro (13")
  • Surface Laptop (13")
  • HP x360 (13")
  • Surface Book 2 (13")
  • Razer Blade (14")
  • MacBook Pro (15")
  • Surface Book 2 (15")

0 voters

And now, which form-factor would make it a NO BUY for you?

• Traditional
  • Traditional + Touchscreen
  • Convertible (360° Hinge)
  • Detachable

0 voters

For clarification: Traditional means something like the good old MacBook Pro 13" without touchscreen.

Also what unique features should such a device have?

Now, since that is clear - please vote & comment ideas! :smiley:

Also sorry for deleting the last topic, I f*ed up the polls majorly and had to redo the topic :frowning:

Are we sweeping support under the carpet?

@iKirin why have you deleted the previous comments?

I would like a surface book competitor. Hinge style, detachable quality. But Eve QC, pricing, and team efforts.

I feel the V was ideal for me for college, but now as I’ll be finished in May I feel I need more of a work horse that the surface book can offer.

Do people NOT want a touchscreen?? Really?

If you want a traditional laptop, there’s not much point in having a touchscreen. It’d be nice for scrolling I guess, but you can’t use it for drawing/onenote/etc. It only drives up the price.

I really hope we can come up with something to compete with the SB, but not be a clone of it. As @Patrick_Hermawan said someplace else, we don’t want to look like a company that does nothing but make cheaper Surfaces. Though, that would make an impression on both Microsoft and many other companies if “what the people want” is basically what Microsoft is doing.

For more “traditional” kind of device I would say hell no

Upgradeable dGPU. Removable battery. Hardware switch for the fan (fanless vs performance mode), so I don’t have to go to the BIOS or open a dedicated program to switch from one mode to another.

If possible, put the same kind of battery on the tablet portion and laptop portion, so we could switch out the battery when we need them. (reason: the laptop dock should not charge the battery portion, because charging is not an efficient process. that’s also the reason why SB does not do that)

I’ve always wondered about this, how upgradable is a dGPU really?

There are standards for upgradeable GPU on a laptop, like MXM. It is pretty much like how you upgrade a GPU on a desktop PC. The problem is MXM takes more space, complexity, and cost than simply having the dGPU soldered, just like soldered RAM vs upgradeable RAM

Wouldn’t the physical dimensions of the card have to be the same? Especially for placement of heatsink? I don’t know much about laptop GPUs, but on desktop I know it’s never the same from generation to generation.

Because I fd up the last polls which should be multiple choice.

Unique Feature?

There are no decent ravenridge Laptops out there and OEMs have allways cheaped out on amd laptops, so there is a market gap. A configuration with the 2500u and 2700u, depending on your needs.
In a 13/15" Form factor.

This article from NotebookReview tells more about how upgradable mobile MXM graphics are.

Not very, as it turns out :disappointed_relieved: .

And this Wikipedia article tells about MXM in general (it’s not just nVidia GPU MXMs out there).

Yeah mxm is not very good that’s why it’s being phased out, as far as I know nvidia-reportedly-snubbed-microsoft-windows-10-arm only make business class quadro cards in mxm for legacy business laptops etc.

The main issues are size and unoptimised cooling.

In my view the best implementation of upgradable gpu on a laptop is the surface book and it boggles my mind why Microsoft don’t offer standalone bases as upgrades.

This. Eve should do this. You don’t have to get the base, you can buy it later after you save up more money, you can get a revised one with better battery and better GPU while keeping the original device.

I may have something up my sleeve :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Question is do it have the time to 3d model it, you may have to do with sketches for now

Unique feature? 15’ V like tablet with the possibility to connect it to a SB-like base. But both devices are separate working devices. The SB-like base should be even compatible (over tb3 port) with the existing V…

Sketches completely fit to this kind of brainstorming!

I’d be happy to help with making a model of it (in Inventor), though I must admit I’m not pro at these things. I am very curious to see your idea though.

Yes, yesssssss, this is perfect. Is it feasible to implement TB3 protocol on a different connector? Or would we just have a USB-C slot connecting the keyboard to the tablet?

We could make the base a sort of USB PD “battery bank”, possibly with quick charge for my phone too.

Existing V connectivity should be per USB-C tb3 cable. Everything else is too bulky…

This is basically what it is!