What Next on 2in1 form factor?

Done.

A new desing for the keyboard maybe, so we could hold the V2 on our lap, like the surface book.

…using a Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port at the base. That way, you can put an eGPU in the keyboard dock just like the Surface Book does.

You already have a thread, did you forget?

I did not. Last I checked, we are not limited to the number of ideas we can submit. If anything, exploring multiple ideas in-depth is the way to go. It allows people to tear everything apart until you finally get what is generally the best solution for everyone.

I never said anything about “multiple ideas”. You already have a thread, why create a second one for the same thing? Let’s not spam the forum, k? Thanks.

I never created a second one for the same thing. The idea I posted right above is totally different:

This isn’t a 10-inch tablet. Please stay on topic.

As for me, the 10" form factor of an EVE Air really doesn’t do it. I would rather have a flexible screen as is being implemented by Samsung and significantly shrink the form factor (then 10" vs 12" would be a moot conversation( low risk), be an early adopter of alternate battery technology (moderate risk, the 3 - 4x capacity may not be available in early generations of solid state lithium batteries, the first generation probably uses a carbon separator, the second generation will most probably use glass but is probably 2 - 3 years off unless someone like Eveready or Duracell adopt the technology - Seeo and Solidpower are the initial companies ready to release batteries with an output of more than 50 MilliAmps (these are available now) and Dyson has acquired Sakti3 to improve the cycle time of their battery operated products as well as sell solid state lithium batteries.

It really all depends on the time you expect to take to release the next generation product, if it is in 2018, then the field is wide open, with a fallback to traditional power should you have issues. But the fact of having a battery power that would allow you to go all day + with a 4K screen and a hungrier CPU with greater graphics capabilities should whet your appetite.

I would suggest reaching out to Dyson and the two others and get on their radar screen and take the market by storm.

While I really like your idea, this is not the thread for 10-inch tablets like Pauliunas said it was. I was directly commenting on someone’s Surface Book clone idea. Everyone please stay on topic.

I’m pretty sure that @pauliunas just mixed up the thread. No need for being hateful :slight_smile:

And everybody back on topic, please :stuck_out_tongue:

@Konstantinos @Mike @nawthor @iKirin

Folks, the reason i started this thread is to kindle the idea of if its really worth having a tables below form factor the one we have already in the market today (Surface & V) form factor useful as a 2in1 (laptops)???

I myself will struggle using a device that is more smaller in size (e.g. 11", 10" 8", 9" or 7") below 7" this you have smartphone pamphlets. You can in fact see a 7" Laptop here in IGG…

I am not talking on reducing the size here as its useless (my emphasis), i am talking about different form factor, like instead of Rectangle a Square shaped (just an example), instead of flat front and back a curved shape (may be like the new Samsung s8), or any other innovative idea.

May be a @Konstantinos @Mike modular one (this is what i like to see in future), here is what i believe our next project should be…the idea behind this business model is…

A: We Standardise a external form factor, and fix on that (this is our housing) and a standard set of component as base.
B: Rest all other component that goes into the housing are all modular, you name it…here is few example…

1. I want replace LCD panel (reason: broken, bored) and change to better AMOLED, etc. ‘Eve’ can take the order and process the cost of the same, and if needed user can buy from Market (if they support EVE standard modular design), the user can buy from them (better competition) and install it as DIY. It should have a self sliding and locking design just like how to put your case cover to your premium mobile device.
  2. I want to have 1TB SDD (base is 512) the user can do this & open as DIY and install it.
  3. eGPU (of course if not shouldered to MB), etc.

Yes, this will rattle up few industry who needs to know that user no longer want a set of hardware that has a life expectancy of 3-4 years, but can upgrade themselves based on their needs time to time.

Does this sound like a good innovative idea? I am pretty sure no one in the industry has attempted it so far as its not a good business model where we will be shooting ourself, but industry need to also understand the cost of wasting resource and going green is also tied to this business model.

It should not be confused with LG smartphone last year modular attempt and its failure where the modular was an attempt to external attachment/functions and not to their own internals. We attempt both internal and external. E.g. of external, may be mount a eGPU on our standard base, or a Projector, etc.

V deals with Original component Manufacturing and distribution, competitors coming with their own challenged better design, open market for components, re-engineer better components YoY, cost only of the components, etc.

Are we ready for this kind of innovation?

I think it’s out of Eve’s reach, at least right now. Even Google with their massive budgets scrapped their modular phone program (Project Ara if you’re interested).

Besides that, these phones would be all but efficient in space (you need to account for shells around the components and for connections between the modules and the phone itself) which makes it all the more difficult to pull of. The shapes of the modules would most probably have to be standardized and flat so you’d have also an ergonomics problem.

It’s just too complicated to build a modular phone. There are huge costs and problems and Eve as a small company or even startup hasn’t got the financial ability or engineering capability to pull it off (even with the help of partners and suggestions by the community) :wink:

I think a practical example of a modular tablet device that went on to fail is ImasD Click ARM One. It was an ambitious riff off of the trending modular cellphones of the time that Google headed up. However, just like the Google Ara project, it ultimately never really panned out and have been tossed into the dustbin of history.

https://liliputing.com/2015/03/click-arm-one-is-a-modular-tablet-limited-edition.html

I was just yesterday discussing the implications of making a semi-modular 2-in-1 Surface Book clone in the thread EVE next project and why it should be a laptop (update) and the consensus we came to is maintaining compatibility via a simple dock is just not worth the risk or the investment.

In the case of the thread, I had proposed putting in a universal Thunderbolt 3 port (unlike the Surface Book’s proprietary plug) in the keyboard dock, letting that be a way of connecting the tablet and keyboard halves (CPU on top, GPU below), making it possible to upgrade either one down the road with a newer model tablet portion or keyboard base with better CPU or GPU, respectively.

The only problem with this is we never know how long Thunderbolt 3 will be staying around and it will likely be even more of a bottleneck down the road with newer, faster GPUs. Modular design is cool but it requires a lot of forward thinking and loads of luck to make it work out just right and only several technologies (like USB and PCIe) have managed to get it mostly right.

The second best option is making all the components easily accessible. Thanks to MXM GPU slots, RAM slots, M.2 PCIe slots and more, it is possible to make your device intermediately upgradeable. (Unfortunately, Intel switched to factory soldered ball grid array for all of mobile after their 4th generation, now making processor upgrades impossible.)

This is not the most desirable future-proof option, but you can upgrade a few things down the road with relatively high assurance that it will still work. Until the device industry puts aside past grievances and works together which is likely never, this is probably the best option we currently have.

Intel introduced a CPU cartridge that is swappable to make technology future proof in CES 17. If this is something that can be integrated into an EVE machine that would catch attention.

Instead of looking at smaller, I think the market for realtors and folks that need a machine for presentation would be the size of the tablet / desktop introduced by Dell, the 18" tablet that serves as a desktop machine. If this can be slimmed down to be in the 3 - 4 pound size, I think it can have some interesting catch in the marketplace. And serves several underserved market segments.

If I had my nirvana, it would have a removable battery (so that battery improvements could be introduced without retiring the machine), a removable CPU cartridge (the new Intel cartridge), greatly expandable memory, possible capacity for a graphics card, removable storage, etc.

I am not asking for much!!!

I missed sending the link for the XPS 18

Here it is

Isnt it what we have had since like forever in desktop PCs?

No

This is very different

A removable battery woud be superb! I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

Is this an easy insertion slot-based device (cartridge) versus a traditional socket-based desktop processor with well over a 1000 easily broken pins? If so, sign me up.

That is exactly what Intel introduced during CES 17

Here is the link