I am a system administrator. I don’t really need the Dock but would buy it,if it’s simply and affordable.
But here is my point using the (really) dumb question I got asked in the past.
- the mouse isn’t working.
Me: ok. Is the mouse turn on? There is a button on the bottom.
- yes. The mouse is on. there is a red light. Oh no the mouse turned off. the light is gone. Oh. It’s on again…
Me: yeah that’s normal. There is a motion sensor that’s turn off the laser to reduce power usage.
Next question is the doungle for the wireless mouse connected to the laptop.
- what doungle?
Me: please open the battery… There is a small doungle and connect it to the laptop.
- ah ok I found it. One moment please. It’s connected now and the mouse work’s.
Me: fine. And good bye
- one last question: can I now put back the doungle in the battery case…
Co-worker got a second monitor( at least 3: laptop and 2 external ones). I used team viewer, option set: deactivate wallpaper.
Me: are all monitors connected?
- yes but there aren’t on.
Me: ok.please turn them on.
- I pushed the button and now there is a blinking light.
Me: ok. Please disconnect all monitors. Then connect one.
- …ok done. The light is on. But the monitor is off.
Me: (pushing the button in Windows settings to identify the monitor) do you see big numbers?
- yes. Do the match with the one on the laptop screen.(Windows settings)
- yes.but now the monitor is off. it doesn’t show anything.
Me: ok. connect second monitor.
- connected. But it’s off.
Me: (identify the monitors) do the numbers match.
- yes. But the monitors aren’t on.the show nothing.
Me: (turning on the wallpaper)
- oh. now they work.thanks.
Conclusion: if the Dock is not only for tech enthusiasts and not only for the v. it has to be as simple as possible.
Workflow for some co-workers: traveling from construction side to construction side. Writing reports, taking pictures, notes from meetings. They come back to the office, connect to the Dock (at the moment Fujitsu laptop with docking and a test run with ms surface book) or one cable -> everything is connected. Mouse, keyboard, monitor, lan,…
In think (I don’t know it) most of the people here are tech enthusiasts. And not that “standard” users. And I can imagine that the eve team want to sell the Dock not only to the enthusiasts.
Conclusion of the conclusion: the normal people need a dock to connect the periphery fast and easy.
I hope that someone can understand my point. I am not a native English speaker and sorry for mistakes. The text was written without Google translate.