What kind of technology, software, services would you really like to have but don´t exist?

Autonomously driving car (best to be “fueled” by “green” electricity). I don’t mean the autonomous driving by Tesla btw :wink:

Also these vactrains (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vactrain) would be awesome as well.

And teleportation and going to space and these molecular food generator things from star trek, but I’m getting a bit far away from existing :smiley:

And consumer electricity with protected data as well, but it was mentioned already.

What exactly do you mean by that?[quote=“Tomas_Ulicny, post:20, topic:7420”]
-new faster, more efficient input devices - i mean kybd and mouse are with the PC since forever and coding and writing emails and selecting menus and all that repetition feels so time-lost sometimes, like you know what you want to do write, etc in an instant in your brain, how much time is then spend to transfer it into movements, clicks … Even something as a cam tracing your eyes to replace mouse movement, imagine how much time would you save…

I really like this idea :slight_smile:

Oh I have another idea, a ecological car that can compete with fossil fuel car. What I mean with that is offering the same interior volume, weight and range and such. Even with Tesla on it, we are far away from being able to replace current cars with electric cars.

Max range for a tesla S P100D here in Belgium is 446km at 120km/h, 20°C and AC on. That is half of many fossil fuel cars. That is using their range calculator from the Belgian site. When configuring the P100D they do claim a range of 632km, a huge difference if you ask me. If we take a 150pk petrol VW passat to compete with it (I know, exterior dimensions a tad smaller and lighter and such) than it has a theoretical range of 1150 km (using combined fuel consumption, highway only would result in higher range). If you don’t find that a fair competitor (lower pk, lower weight etc) than you can have a look at the 240pk diesel passat which has a theoretical range of 1200km. Does it matter for everyday driving? No it doesn’t, but for long drives it has a big influence. Not only does the tesla has to be charged twice for one fuel stop with the passat, it takes longer to charge. From the Belgium page, they say the Tesla fast charger can give you 270km of range in 30 minutes. That has to be a pain in the ass for long drives.

And not only that, I am a mini-van/real SUV kind of person. I haul big things from time to time, and than a sedan isn’t working out. Even a regular station wagon can be too small. So I will be impressed if there will be electric minivans/SUV’s that offer the same range as todays cars. Until than, I will not really consider those expensive electric cars. Maybe batteries aren’t the best way to store energy for cars, so hopefully other solutions such as hydrogen cars will be for the near future. Those are more promising than the electric city cars from today.

I read an interesting article about a Honda hydrogen car. They had a concept where you not only have the car, you could by a hydrogen station too, that would work as a heat provider for your house to. It was about the same price for the station as a heat provider for the house. Doesn’t still fix the problem with long range travel. The first Opel ampera had a 120km range full electronic mode for everyday traveling and an additional gas motor for the holiday travels.

Pity it was not bought by the costumers as it fell in the time where they had big trouble with gm

For the moment the hybrids seems the best solution, they have electric range for everyday tasks but also the generator for long range. But in the long rong that would be no solution, even if the engine would be running on bio-diesel it would still be an ecologic disaster. The hydrogen cars promise longer range and faster fueling up, and in fact those could easily also be plug-in hybrides. Anyone can charge at home during night, and at day possibly at their workplace (here in Belgium there are rules for companies that say that new parking spaces should have a certain amount of places for electric charging) and they only have to fill up with hydrogen for a long trip. Would be cheaper for consumers, since a hydrogen fueling station at home would be expensive, and require to get regular delivery of hydrogen at home. I am hoping hydrogen technology could be the successor for todays cars. Well, electric cars can do for city cars ofcourse, but even Tesla doesn’t seem to be able to deliver either an electric car with a long range, or one than can be charged fast enough to compete with todays cars.

What about a gaming laptop by eve??
With its own stylus and touch screen too.
A normal and beautiful design with engraved eve logo on it. So you may wonder how to cram a big gpu in it??
You can use nvidia’s max q design to cram gtx 1080, 1070 ,1060 in a thin chassis. wait a minute!!! You can wait for volta to make a thinner combo with both max q and volta (you may think why not upcoming amd api but personally i think this will be not as powerful as dedicated gpu specially with max q that is designed for laptops ,those are designed to compete with intel).
You can add a bunch of battery too cause max q and it will not get hot too. Make everything such as logo and keyboard backlit. Support for G SYNC ,HDR, (IF YOU CAN OLED SCREEN), 4k and 1080p variant(qhd),intel 7700 HQ or 7820 HK or (7920 HQ) or wait for cofee lake , ssd or a mix between intel optane with hdd and ssd(using optane for better price but if it affect’s portability don’t use it. All metal chassis, a little bit bezel less display ,not important but consider if you want to be the beat : we should be able to detach screen from keyboard (to beat wacom). Consider warranty and support things. Summarize: a mix between razer blade and surface book but cheaper ,really cheaper ,the most premium laptop designed ,you can make your company famous by beating apple ,wacom , microsoft and razer in these era!!
Please reply.

um… project ara? phoneblocks :wink:

You know how hydrogen Is made, do you? That station provides hydrogen itself, there is no delivering. You just take water, lay a current at it and it will be split in hydrogen and oxygen. So real problem is the size of the atoms itself. Most materials couldn’t hold it because it just leaks through their atomic cluster. Second one is the explosion danger in a crash.

You know how hydrogen is made these days? With natural gas. Why? It is cheaper. And also, splitting water in oxygen and hydrogen with electricity is very inefficient way to store electricity. But on the other hand there are many advances in none fossil fuel based hydrogen. Also, if I remember correctly nissan had found a way to use alcohol for a fuel cell instead of hydrogen, and in other news there was talk about how they did manage to produce ethanol out of the air. I should look up the artikels on it, it has made the Belgian news papers. So if hydrogen can’t be green, there could be alcohol powered fuel cell cars, and alcohol doesn’t require special connectors or hours of charging for a full charge. But that tech is further away from reality than hydrogen cars

Hydrogen powered cars are a good idea from my point of view, however they have one disatvantage to battery powered cars: You can´t “charge” them at home/everywhere. The great point about battery powered cars is that you are independent from fuel suppliers etc., because you can just use your solar power at home. From my poin of view the future of cars will be battery powered, but battery technology will have to improve significantly. I am okay with having just 500 km of range, if my car charges up in let´s say 5 minutes. I hope that battery technology will improve with in the next 5 years.

I don’t think that it will be so fast regarding battery’s. The problem is that there is some chemical process and that takes an amount of time. I think there will be a critical boarder that could not be passed. Maybe there will be some positive results in super conductors in the near future. (I think that’s what they were called, not my native language)

That is the reason why i think that a plug-in hybrid fuel cell car could be great. Fuel cell cars do need a battery to store power when the fuel cell produces more energy than required, also to store electricity from regenerative braking, and also to provide the electric motors with the extra power they ask compared to what the fuel cell delivers. Essentially it is like a fossil fuel electric car, but instead of burning fossil fuel to generate electricity, they use a fuel cell that generatie electricity from a chemical reaction. So it could be easily adapted to be a plug-in hybrid. And than you would only need to fuel for when you have to travel a long way.

About battery technology improving, I am not sure if there will be a massive improvement. Fast charging is getting faster and faster, but we are far away from a full 500km range in less than 5 minutes. Tesla requires 30 min for the theoretical 270km range, and since the range is about 2/3 the theoretical range (when using there calculator at a 120km/h in 20 degrees and the AC on, is a likely situation since long drives are mostly done over highways and such). So for the moment they achieve maybe 200km range in 20 minutes charging, so 10 times slower than your stats. I think many people also won’t mind a 10min charge for a full range, but that is still requires a 5 time improvement over Tesla their fast charging.I don’t know how the competition is doing, since most coverage on alternative cars are focused on tesla.

I agree the next great breakthrough is battery technology, which from the tea leaves looks like is right around the corner (in technology terms less than a year the way things are going). It appears that graphene, much to my surprise, will make the marketplace first, which has quick charging characteristics (graphene in combination with lithium ion, acts as a separator and super capacitor, thereby greatly increasing the capacity of batteries (forget all day, that’s too short a thing to compete for)) and can be recycled many more times. Solid State lithium batteries are not far behind, it will be another period where we have NICAD and NIMH batteries (for those of you old enough to remember prior to the use of lithium ion), with merits to both technologies and both leapfrogging the other for some time to come.

The real winner will be the consumer, I would really like to see EVE come up with a battery swap program in about what I expect is going to be a year, I don’t know if that means a replacement case, a battery kit which could be brought to a shop to swap or some end user serviceable program (I sort of doubt that will be the solution but what do I know)

The biggest problem with electric cars is that so many (important) people earn such a pile of money with patrol.

The problem is that it is a risky business, because you have to research and that costs money. So stay with the status quo and sell what you have.

Second problem is that these cars right know you could only use for your daily way to work or shopping. But for travel you need more distance. The costumers are to happy with their I could full fuel everywhere with just a view minutes. Travel by electric car needs more plans for the holiday.

Personally I would only buy one if I could charge it within 5-10 minutes. And if there are more possibilities to charge it at all

There are already plans for exchangeable batteries. So you drive to a gas station and your battery is exchanged automatically within seconds.

Mercedes invested 2 billion euros in improving a motor and it will pray off for them.
Imagine only this amount put into research for batteries or so.
And that’s just one motor from one manufacturer.

If humanity really wants it, it is possible to build a electric driving car that can be used like a normal car.

How did we get to cars?

There are interesting conversations with cars and battery technology, but some will transfer to what we would want for the V and some will not (i.e., Propane power won’t, the larger form factor batteries used in the newer cars won’t (more surface area means longer charge)), solid state lithium batteries will, and will probably show up in PCs prior to its use in cars (due to the sheer volume and incremental cost for early adoption).

How does backlight bleeding look?

This thread isn’t solely about the V, so if you read the topic title please tell my why we shouldn’t get to cars?

Backlight bleed is the backlight that are hotspots of the backlight that are bleeding through. Best way to see is to put a solid black on the screen, and than you can see where there are hotspots of backlight. For most regular people it doesn’t affect them, most will only be confronted by it when having dark scenes in movies, or dark moments in games, but most people don’t really complain from it. But as I do video editing, it is really bad to have backlight bleeding since that means that what I see on the screen is not the same as what I will be rendering. So it could be that I tweak the color or the intensity wrong. For the moment not a big problem since I am not doing it professionally (I only have like 20 followers on youtube, so far from professional) but it still bugs me.

Here is a picture of my current backlight bleeding, which was the best of the 3 LG 34UM88C monitors I have tested: