What kind of technology, software, services would you really like to have but don´t exist?

I was just thinking about the question “What kind of technology, software, services would you really like to have but don´t exist?” and i would really like to hear you´re answers :slight_smile:

Software Tools for the V

Smartphone with full windows on it. A SmartWatch like pebble with a bit more functions like touchscreen. Pity pebble does no longer exist.

An operating system that doesn’t spy on me an secures everything on their servers.

How would you use windows on smartphone?

Also: such operating system would cost you money every month and not much people is into paying monthly.

Why should it cost monthly? Do you pay windows monthly on the V or on your Pc?

I like that I have a full pc in my pocket. Sure I could not game with it but most things in office should work totally fine. I would have the same software on all my devices and don’t need to have different ones.

I think these two are connected and you two are misunderstanding each other.
Carry on :stuck_out_tongue:

Nanobots, more advanced CRISPR DNA/Genetic Engineering (this could cure cancer and all diseases), Warp Drives (warps space-time for ‘faster-than-light’ travel), Artificial Intelligence (obviously with safeguards so it doesn’t end up wiping out humanity), some kind of device that would control gravity through, if they exist, gravitons (which if was invented could be the technology for how a warp drive would work). Economical nuclear fusion reactors would be great too! Oooh and also replicators (like Star Trek).

I think artificial intelligence is the most important (and most dangerous). With that we could have it work out all the other technologies.

Some of these are surprisingly attainable within the next 1-3 centuries assuming that we don’t make ourselves extinct through climate change or nuclear war.

I did not say that I am not willing to pay for a OS. Example Microsoft, the old Win or DOS versions you bought and didn’t spy. Latest with XP that was gone. I am totally aware of that nothing is for free and when it is I am not the consumer but the product.

Where do I start?

• Quad core surface book
  • Sport activity tracker/smartwatch which can be operated without touchscreen and has some classic styling instead of being a piece of rubber with screen and battery, or a big as army-styled watch or a miniature sized ipod touch (apple smartwatch). Give me some classic charm instead of modern shit design. I have a garmin vivosmart HR+ and I go swimming almost daily. Try it out, you will get frustrated since it can only be operated by the touchscreen, and the touchscreen reacts not only to fingers but also water. So even when trying to operate it out of the water, if there is still water on it than chances are high it won’t react to your fingers.
  • A warranty that does actually do something. I have had many devices for which it was a pain to try to get it fixed under warranty, including apple devices even though every fanboy says that apple has the best warranty system. How many times I have heard “I’m sorry, we can’t fix that” drove me crazy, and then after a 3rd replacement still stating that all they can do is replacing it. How god damn hard can it be to make electronics that work. I am not ordering from an American or European brand just to get Chinese quality. I did even manage to fix a broken bedside lamp myself after getting it replaced 3 times. Opened it up, they used thin cables and very few solder. I replaced the wires and soldered it myself, it has survived for 3 years before being rendered useless. 3 years is a big improvement for someone with just rudimentary soldering skills (I wouldn’t even call it skills, it is just starters quality) over the few months that the product lasted when left untouched.
  • How about IPS monitors without backlight bleed? I have a LG 34UM88C and damn it has a lot of backlight bleeding, and that after having it replaced 3 times and than settled with the one with the fewest backlight bleeding. I can understand it if 1 or 2 would have bad quality, but 3 in a row is not that likely. And I know that IPS can be made almost backlightbleed proof, a friend of mine has an Eizo monitor and that has almost none backlight bleeding, the worst part on his monitor had as much backlight bleed as the best spot on my monitor. OK, they are not cheap, but that is also because of the 5 years warranty they promise.
  • … And the list goes on, but i am gonna stop here. Most of the complaints are quality related of todays shit products. Even the expensive products do manage to have quality comparable to the cheap counterparts

So… Linux, BSD or many of the alternatives?

No spyware, no telemetry, rapid response to security issues and often 0-day patches to 0-day issues.

One more time: question about how you are going to use Windows on smartphone?

Do Windows not spy? They do, so your comparison is not making sense.

And what are you going to do with OS which you cannot use without periferials?
Have you heard about Microsoft’s Continuum? I am not aware of some big success there.

And finally the price thing,

Operating which does not spy: Linux, no problem there.
Price comes from securing on their servers. Do you expect some company to store petabytes of data just like that? Without being able to use them? No way. You would have to pay as well as you have to pay for cloud storage.

EDIT1: I would love to see some OS, which is able to make use of drivers for Windows as well as software for Windows. Basically Linux which can run Windows software with open-source architecture in mind.

Wow, that´s some really inspiring stuff :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

Someone suggests Warp Drive and you choose to say windows on a smartphone is impossible? hah.

I did not say anything about impossibility, it is indeed possible. I am just questioning the usage.

Robotic housemaid and gardener. Machines that could really take care of household chores so that I have to waste my life on them.

IMO one of the main reasons Continuum didn’t take off is that it’s on Windows 10 Mobile and not on full Windows 10. It’s quite a different thing, if every programme known to man works (exaggerating here) compared to just a few universal apps from the Windows 10 Mobile store.

For sure, but it is was the nearest example I could find.

The main question IMO is still: How would you use Windows 10 on smartphone? I know how painful it is to do something via TeamViewer other than just checking screen.

Ok, I forgot about Linux. Mainly because I did not have enough time to work with it. The usability is not as good as in Windows. That might have changed in the last years so that are only my personal perspectives. Second problem is that most programs need to be executed by eve and so need that. If Linux could do that it would be awesome. Last time I worked with Linux was with gnome KDE, I don’t know the release number anymore. There you had to do way to far over the cmd line to be a real competitor to Windows.

SailfishOS

An affordable EGPU casing. I’m pretty sure this has already been brought up, but you did ask :wink:
As far as i know an EGPU housing is little more than a power supply, a case and a small board to facilitate thunderbolt 3 to PCI-E. With intel’s new royalty free policy I’d love to see some cheaper devices. EGPU is nice, but when you need to spend as much as a full extra laptop (mind you, I add the cost of the card here as well), the attractive aspect is all but gone.

The obvious:
high power density batteries, fast charging, faster and more reliable wireless comm

Not so obvious:
-security - encryption on everything, my data only accessible by me
-ownership identification (like blockchain without negatives)
-cloud computing - instead for having usually underpowered solutions in mainstream tech, one has a cloud machine at home or by a provider, and the usual tech would be a thin client (smart tv, werable, phone) and the power depends on the power of the cloud + all your data are central & can be protected by enterprise solutions

-advanced AI in OS - imagine telling your os “a couple of weeks back i was ordering a pizza, but i dont remember from which restaurant, do you know?” instead of going to history to your IE, Chrome (you dont know which browser u used) and checking the call out list on your phone to see which number you have called (as the browser history shows x restaurants you were browsing through), the OS would understand your question and deliver results in an instant

-new faster, more efficient input devices - i mean kybd and mouse are with the PC since forever and coding and writing emails and selecting menus and all that repetition feels so time-lost sometimes, like you know what you want to do write, etc in an instant in your brain, how much time is then spend to transfer it into movements, clicks … Even something as a cam tracing your eyes to replace mouse movement, imagine how much time would you save…