What is the Graphics Card Specification?

Could anyone provide insight on the GPU used by V?
In the “full spec” graphics is not mentioned, which I find pretty odd since the GPU is one of the most important deciding factors for my purchase decision (the second being high-end pen input) as a video creator and industrial designer.

New here, got a few questions
Artist Button Accessories Concept

The GPU is included in the Processor:

Since all three processors have the same graphic chip it will be Intel® HD Graphics 615

Full GPU Spec

##Intel® HD Graphics 615
Graphics Base Frequency: 300.00 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency: 900.00 MHz
Graphics Video Max Memor: 16 GB
Graphics Output: eDP/DP/HDMI/DVI
4K Support: Yes, at 60Hz
Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4)‡: 4096x2304@24Hz
Max Resolution (DP)‡: 3840x2160@60Hz
Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡: 3840x2160@60Hz
DirectX Support:* 12
OpenGL Support:* 4.4
Intel® Quick Sync Video: Yes
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology: Yes
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology: Yes
Intel® Clear Video Technology: Yes

• of Displays Supported‡:* 3

Device ID: 0x591E

This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration.

As a small addition: you can connect an eGPU to significantly boost this. Intel HD graphics won’t satisfy you if GPU is one of the most important factors.

Thanks, Alexander.

Hmmm, the design lineage is making more sense to me. I can understand how the V probably makes a lot of sense to a lot of people, which would naturally constitute the majority of voters. It is clear that this platform (without external dedicated graphics) is not intended for high power tasks (rendering, intensive video editing, CAD).

Yes, it wasn’t designed explicitly for that use case. Otherwise we would probably have a quad core CPU and dedicated graphics. The V is more of a lightweight portable device and less of a workstation.

While V is foremost a portable computing device and not a workstation replacement for serious professional CAD/simulations tasks, you will be surprised how well V can handle the general graphics/video editing tasks along with most of CAD work. And if you do need a work station, plug in an GTX 1080TI and use GPU compute :wink:

That’s true only in parts. Cad programs are totally fine with Intel grafics. A real workstation gpu OS only a must if you want to render the model with a real view. But for the normal use and a view quick looks or changes I think it would be totally fine. And that’s all I would use it for. Sure it can’t beat a workstation, but you are not really looking for a tablet that could exchange your workstation, or are you?

Right, totally understand the balance of features that the majority is asking for.

I don’t expect a full workstation replacement, but I’d like to be capable of editing 4k at a reasonable speed, work on Solidworks assemblies, and have the best pen input technology that money can buy. This would truly allow me to work away from the Studio.

I know the V probably isn’t for me now, but perhaps​ I can contribute some usability/ergonomic/industrial design input later down the line if a mobile workstation category was warranted.

Maybe you know more than me, but AFAIK solid works has no pen support right now.

That would be super cool, even if I’m afraid that such specific needs would result in very niche picks of hardware. I approached a theme of mobile workstation here:

@Arvinoculus All constructive suggestions are welcome. The V was design by all of us and that is why it’s so special.

Well said, Vithren.

From a category perspective, the Surface Book (with performance base)
currently has no competition. Microsoft has set the stage by developing
for niche users (designers,engineers,artists). By catering to these types
of users, Microsoft does a few things:

• Allows them the operate/design in the highest tier.
  • Justifies the highest prices in the market.
  • Allows them to make large investments in pioneering​ as opposed to
    following.
  • Let’s them design & engineer without compromise

Yes, they have tons of money to push the limits, but it’s great IMO because they’ve done the heavy lifting. The Surface Book was really designed as a launchpad for flexible-use workstations.

I theorize that they left out key components like high-end pen input & GPU
because the savings on the bill of materials allows non-professional
creatives to afford it (albeit still high).

If you take the Tesla approach, they were able to justify their Model S costs by simply making a superior product. This is true pioneering, and I think a similar approach would work with an Eve Workstation.

In the end there’s still a void in the market for a true best-in-class convertible workstation.

For that you would need a xeon CPU or at least a high end i7. Both so battery life consuming that it would not match the need of a laptop or even a convertible.

For a 4k display I think the gpu of the V is to weak. Maybe a surface pro would be better for your needs because of the iris gpu.

Not true. How else you you think it can handle two 4k displays through the thunderbolt at the same time, and on top of that there’s also the device’s main display?

V is just as good as Surface Book, just that you need to buy eGPU separately…

@Hawk_Hunter the official specification says 3 4K displays :wink:

Sure, for displaying the windows screen. If you do some Cad or light gaming you get pretty fast on the edge with the on board gpu. Only because you could do it doesn’t mean that it will be good. And in the topic that I discussed with Arvinoculus it will be to weak. Turning the assembly in in Solid works will use the gpu and that is not possible with a additional 4k display or even more than one. And nothing other was said by me.

Oh, yeah that is true. I thought you said it couldn’t drive two monitors at all. But the GPU is pretty useless for CAD anyway, so eGPU is kind of inevitable :slight_smile:

With solid works you could also set the quality to low, so it should be OK for small and middle assemblys. Sure, working the whole day with it could be a pain in the ass and you should do that on a dedicated workstation, but to show your costumer a view things in your design to talk about it should be good for that. Solid works needs as much CPU power as possible, the gpu is only in real view with shadows mostly the bottleneck.