Weekly Tech Survey [03.10.17]

poll

Many of you are aware that battery technology has not kept improving at the same rate as processors (Moore’s Law). This has meant in recent years most consumer electronics have been reduced to two ways of getting better battery life:

1. Put in a bigger battery
  2. Make the product more efficient

Using these strategies have meant we’ve been able to get more power in newer generation devices without losing a lot of battery life, but haven’t really seen significant improvements because the tech has stalled.

So this weeks poll: How long will we be waiting for a real breakthrough in battery tech (specifically when will we actually see the majority of new devices benefiting from it)?

• It’s almost here (within the next year)
  • It’s not here yet, but soon (2-3 years)
  • It’s still a ways off (3-5 years)
  • We got a long way to go (over 5 years)

0 voters

Do you know what the next breakthrough will be? Why did you vote the way you did? Feel free to discuss below.

For more info on the weekly tech surveys, check out Weekly Tech Surveys Overview

To be honest I guessed. I have no idea about battery life tech, but given batteries have been rubbish pretty much since they were invented, i am not holding my breath.

Never mind phones, remember when you were a kid and how quickly batteries died in your radio control car? Or when mobile phones first came out and you carried the battery pack as a ruck sack.

In the past years I have read so many articles about the new fancy upcoming battery technology that will solve all our problems ™… but none of them is available on the market.

So I guess that this game will go one in the same way four some time. Though I hope for a breakthrough.

I’m having high hopes for the solid state batteries (particularly in terms of charging and in terms of affect to heat/cold). And there are some renowned battery gurus working on it makes me think that it isn’t that far away. I’d spend more money for a phone that has a week of run time (like the good old days with the Nokias) in a heartbeat.

I suppose we should give the battery industry a little credit, as technologies that are genuinely helpful such as fast charging and wireless charging have emerged in the last few years.

I suppose so… my friend was working with one new battery company. They tried to get new kind of battery, nothing revolutionary, but more like fine tuning the latest tech… but in the end the company went bust. It’s very hard field of technology and the big leap is just keeping us waiting.

this is why, It will be great if you guys can make something that user replacable

Actually I am working in the battery tech universe as a researching scientist. And to be honest we came a long way already improving batteries since 1990s and look around you what have been achieved. All mobile technologies that changed daily life today wouldn’t be possible without them, so please give them some credit.

Of course everyone wants them to be more improved. Their technology is still defining the next generation of transportation for example, like electric passenger planes (Eviation Alice), electric trains (VLR Project) or flying cars (Lilium Aviation).

And because of this defining technology - there is a lot of money and effort behind this topic, looking at every aspect and engineering issue for progress. But overall, there is a barrier, which is called physics / chemistry and it gets more and more exhausting to come up with new small inventions in the battery system.

They will get cheaper in the next years, they will have a better performance, but there their capacity won’t double at the same volume/mass in the near future.

But since the automotive industry is now really behind this issue with their money and ressources, maybe there will be more men- and brain- power to improve them faster.

The breakthrough is when we can fit more power into smaller/lighter batteries.

There is a hard limit on how energy dense ‘traditional’ batteries can be, and in my view any improvements will be incremental. The breakthrough will have to be a novel technology and I don’t see any convincing evidence of any before 5 years.