Water damage on V keyboard

So I was cleaning my V keyboard with a cloth and water and I was a bit overzealous and got a drop of water land just above my F10 key. I turned it upside down and tried to knock it out immediately, but it wasn’t enough and the keyboard was unresponsive, though the trackpad still worked.
I then applied a hair dryer and now nothing worked and when I plugged the keyboard in, it even confused the V and couldn’t be recognized.
Later, when I went to work and the keyboard cooled down and I did some more knocking of it upside down, the keyboard and trackpad started working again (typing on it right now)! However, the F7 and delete keys don’t register at all, including after over 24 hours later.

I don’t think the warranty covers water damage and even if it did, I’m a first batch owner so I believe my warranty expired in May (got my V in December). I plan on contacting Eve support, but from what I understand there is a 3-month long waiting list for new keyboards and they can take a while to respond. So in the mean-time, does anyone know how much they would charge for a replacement?

Also in an attempt to fix it myself, do you think that injecting isopropyl alcohol where the water drop landed and then shaking it around to get it to where the water went is a good idea?

– Update
Literally, in the middle of me writing this post, my delete key started working again…
My F7 key still won’t work, but I will wait a few days to see if it does. If it doesn’t start working again, I’m still curious what you guys think about the isopropyl alcohol.

What about placing the keyboard in a closed container filled with rice and let it sit through the night? The rice absorbs the moisture and could help with that.

If a short caused any damage, it’s not common for keys to start working again after a while. There might still be some liquid in there – a tiny drop caught between component layers can be hard to shake out. If this is the case, your issues may be resolved as the remaining water dries. Uncooked rice, as mentioned by @gesteves may help, just make sure to keep the rice and keyboard separated, so you don’t end up with keys stuck on rice grains. The little silica gel packets that come with many electronics may also be used to draw away hidden moisture.

If your problem persists, I do recommend contacting our support team (contact form is here), they generally respond quickly to your request (with the many changes being processed at the moment it may take a few days, though). There is currently a waiting period for replacement keyboards, meaning that if they have decided a replacement needs to be shipped, you may have to wait for it.

We have an accessory-only shop pretty much ready to launch, but will only do so once we know that we can ship out accessory purchases directly. Until then, an out-of-warranty replacement through support should still be possible, and they will also be able to give you a quote.

As for isopropyl alcohol, it’s amazing stuff and can be useful for getting rid of remaining liquid. It relies on displacing the initial spill and then evaporating, the first of which may be harder to pull off since the keyboard construction doesn’t really allow you to let the isopropanol flow in between components.

Happily, it was only water (I lost a Mac-book keyboard with spilled coca-cola).
But … water will dissolve impurities already present, and transport wherever the water goes.
Most of it will be caught by the cleaning cloth, but some will stay in the “entrails” of the keyboard. If conducting, non-function keys appear. The water itself may already be gone.
Using those keys may ‘break’ the conducting layer and hoopla, the key functions again.
Isopropyl alcohol dissolves and transports that stuff again and by doing so may ‘heal’ the key function.
After dissolving it will dispose again but ‘diluted’ and most often somewhere else.

I actually have a box filled with silica gels that I have been collecting for years for this sort of thing, and I even baked them to get the water out after each use, but I don’t think I have ever had any success with it before (maybe a little when water got trapped under a phone screen, but it never got all the water out)

I loled.

Thanks Helios xD

May be leftover deposit after drying ? The isopropyl way could help, but those things are always under the"your own risks" umbrella.
Are there reasonable youtube hits on this subject? -sorry I did not have time to look this up.

So I tried with a little bit of isopropyl alcohol and then the delete key stopped working again.
I then tried a lot of isopropyl alcohol and about 50 to 60 degree Celsius heating to speed up evaporation and that didn’t fix anything, except now the F9 and Backspace keys are falling out and the F key hanging on by a thread. Some superglue helps a little but I’ve put in a request to support for a new keyboard.

If a replacement is expensive or takes several months, then I will likely go for the Brydge 12.3, though shipping for me from their official site costs 100USD, so that would be painful. Also, I’m worried about the trackpad size as the V keyboards trackpad was already a little uncomfortably small for me.

I use Bridge keyboard on my old Surface 3 professional.
Works ok (as USB keyboard).
It makes the S. stable without using the hinge by its weight.
There are a number of posts describing it when I remember right.
Transport to you is exaggerated :unamused:.
You don’t have a friend coming back from America or Europe?

So I heard back from EVE after 2 days (so not too bad) and they said that they can only sell accessories (which the keyboard is one) through the webstore. I asked her what the ETA is and whether it would be best for me to buy a 3rd party keyboard and after another 2 days (consistent) she said that it will take a while and she actually recommended I get a 3rd party keyboard in the meantime.

So I ordered the Brydge 12.3 and paid for the shipping, though I get it in a bundle with their screen protector (I failed at successfully applying the one that came with my V) and with a 10% discount (which I got without even asking for).

I also ordered a dbrand skin (leather), so I hope that the added thickness (0.23mm IIRC) won’t be an issue with the Brydge (I think I will use it with the Surface Pro 3 clamps).

@AML Unfortunately not

:tired_face: :frowning_face:

The isopral alchol would work if u submerged the entire keyboard but i don’t know what it will do to the fabric.

It seems to wreck some of the plastic they keycaps use, so if I did that I suspect all the keys would fall off.
Also, I did drench part of the fabric in it unintentionally and it seems to have survived fine, but it holds the smell for a while.