So we all learned that VW was using a defeat device in their diesel engines. It was a terrible thing no doubt, but I just found out that there’s more to the story.
Turns out they were also testing the diesel fumes, coming out of those subjected cars, on monkey, and --this is true-- humans
The Süddeutsche Zeitung reported the experiments were also carried out on 25 young and healthy human beings.
This is wrong on so many levels because:
- As mentioned before, the cars were cheating to begin with
- The research was still carried out after the Dieselgate news came out last year.
- They compared a VW Beetle against an older Ford F250, a car that’s like twice the size, with 3-4x the engine displacement. Even if you compare the same model year, the larger car is more likely to be more polluting, for obvious reason. Why not use their own old Beetle or Golf anyway?
- There are already methods to find out the chemicals of the emission, and its impact to animals/humans without harming them
- Why would we need to test both animals and humans? The purpose of the monkey is to ‘simulate’ the effect on humans. But if youre going to test humans anyway, then leave the poor monkeys alone.
- Without going too much into history lesson, there must be at least one person in their HQ in Germany who knows how bad it is for Germans to gas humans (from PR perspective)
I think that’s enough information for me to avoid anything VW (and probably also other VW Group products). Feel free to convince me otherwise