USB-PD and V charging confusion

warranty
v

In the end it’s just a different port, so what would that change… From the (deep) technical point of view, that type C charger would just be using differently positioned contacts for the cable, but electric current is the same and it still flows through the same kind of conductors.

Do you mean that the V acts like nothing is attached or do you mean it is using some power of the cord, but the battery percentage still goes down?

Second would be enough, that would mean using a normal (non PD) battery-pack would make the V last longer.

The OnePlus 2 Charger has 5V@2A which means only 10W Power.

The V (at least DVT2) should be able to take 15W out of 5V chargers:

One Question since it seems that I misunderstood your Post until now: did you try The IQ Ports (USB A) or the USB-PD port?

Hey guys, I’m in the market for a Windows 10 tablet for my work and entertainment needs . After comparing my options and reading the news Eve v supporting USB c charging, I’m wondering if Eve v would support non proprietary chargers so that I might be able to replace them easily if it got damaged or just be more flexible with my options .

My idea is…
I do not want to bring a specific charger for a tablet. I want to be able to charge my phone with it as well.
I also want to charge it using my car charger.
I also want to be able to connect it to external power bank and basically doubling its battery life.

I’m wondering if Eve v capable of supporting them, if not all, which one?

Otherwise, what other tablets would you guys suggest that suits my needs

Pls help me out thx

EVE supports USB Power Delivery standard

Hi anthony!

nice to have you here in the community! :+1:

Regarding your question you could take at look at this thread:

iKirin (eve team member) answered the following there:

Hi @anthony_wi, and welcome to eve.community!

I’ve taken the liberty of merging your question into an existing thread on the charging protocols used by the V, hope you don’t mind!

The V charges using the USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) standard, so it’s not something proprietary. The default output for the adapter is 5V at up to 2A, which matches the USB standard. That means that any adapter that charges your V should also charge your phone or any other USB device, even if it was built for USB 1.0.

Once the V gives the charger the signal that it can handle more (higher voltages, more power) using the USB-PD protocol, the charger will adapt to feed the computer what it needs. You should be able to charge your V with a regular 5V USB power adapter, but don’t expect it to charge fast or to charge at all if you’re also using it.

If your devices support Qualcomm QuickCharge (QC), they will not be able to use that technology when using the Eve charger. Conversely, the V will not be able to make use of the QuickCharge technology in a charger built around that. A newer version of Qualcomm QuickCharge seems to be in the works that adds backwards compatibility with both older QC standards and USB-PD, so a charger like that may offer a solution when that time comes.

Please note that we can not guarantee that any non-Eve charger will work as intended, and can not offer warranty in case a third-party charger damages your V.

I’m not an expert on this stuff but I would recommend looking at Omnicharge for a good battery bank option. I have both the 20 and 13 models and take them with me everywhere to support my MacBook Pro 13, iPad mini 3, LG G5, GoPros and other assorted devices. The charging options on the 20 are great. I also carry an X-Connect cable set with me to reduce the number of cables/chargers I have with me.
The DC output on the 20 is very customizable. I’m hoping to find a DC to USB cable that I can use to charge the V and leave the stock charger at home.

No, Omnicharge 13 does not support USB PD. It’s not suitable for Eve V unless you want to either:

• use the AC port and lose lots of energy in DC-AC-DC conversion
  • use the barrel plug and risk burning your V’s charging circuitry
  • use QC port and risk even harder
  • use the regular USB port and charge is super duper slowly

Thanks for the comments! I have an official link to the certified USB Type-C cables here:

Actually, QC and barrel plug output aren’t even available on the 13. QC 3.0 is only available on USB Port 2 of the 20 and Port 1 is 5V/3A. So no, the 13 isn’t a good fit. But the 20 looks pretty good.

• Port 1 offers 15W (5V/3A). I’ve seen at least one community member post that they would be happy if they can just use a battery bank to slow down the V’s battery drain while they’re using it.
  • The barrel plug on the 20 is adjustable from 1V to 24V with 0.1V accuracy up to 3.5A. It even has 9V, 12V and 15V presets.

So, it seems the the Omnicharge 20 would be a good option even though it doesn’t support USB PD. Am I missing something here?

Yeah, my bad. But the 20 is still a bad choice if you want to charge it at decent speed. As for the barrel plug, USB PD is more complicated than just choosing a voltage. It dynamically moves between those voltages and needs the data pins to be connected, so if you just force 15V or something like that into the charging port, there’s a risk you will burn the tablet’s charging circuitry. Because before it communicates with the charger, it’s by default in 5V state.

Only if you need the additional features/ports - not as a pure USB (PD) power bank.

A small comparsion:
Omnicharge: 20400 mAh, 12.7×12.2×2.7cm, 630g, $250
Anker PowerCore+ PD: 26800 mAh, 17.7×8×2.5cm, 598g, $110

Additionally you can load the USB PD power bank with the EVE charger. You don’t need to carry a special charger for the power bank.

I admit, I haven’t had time to read up on PD enough to have a great understanding of how it works. Omnicharge devices have pretty advanced power and protection circuity. I’m trying to find out if/how the barrel plug adjusts amperage based on demand. If it does it correctly, it would safely give you 3amps and therefore 27W, 36W or 45W depending on whether you select the 9V, 12V or 15V output setting. As I understand it V can safely be charged with any charger that gives an appropriate voltage as long as it doesn’t put out more than 3amps. Is that correct or does V require a PD charger? If correct, how would that prevent an Omni 20 from charging the V at a decent speed?

I like having the additional features/ports as they have proven to be very useful for me. That Anker unit sounds like a really good option though. Simple is nice and I could see times where it would work well to just charge the V from that and charge other devices from the V itself.

No need. Most USB PD power banks have not only the USB C port for in/out but one or more additional USB A ports.

Sure, and they will protect Omnicharge. But they will NOT protect your tablet. Omnicharge has no way to communicate with it. If it could, it could “ask” what voltage it expects, or “warn” it about increasing the voltage. But it can’t.

That is physically impossible. The power source does not dictate the current. The power source determines voltage, and the “user” (your tablet) determines the current. So whatever they write there, it’s just a maximum rating. That means it’s guaranteed to give out that much without overheating. The protection circuits you mentioned are probably over-current protection, which limits the current to a safe level (3.5A) to prevent bad stuff including a fire.

V needs a PD charger. As I said, the current is dictated by V itself, the charger has absolutely no control over it except limiting it. What’s important is the voltage: you can only use 5V chargers, unless they’re PD-compliant.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. That helps. I also gives me more questions but I’ll stop and do some more reading for now…don’t want to take the thread off track into a big power bank discussion. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure that you can find one or two big power bank discussions right on this forum :grin:

Would the Google USB-C charger be able to charge the Eve V?

It’s stating that it’s a 18W USB-C Power Adapter with Power Delivery.

https://store.google.com/us/product/usb_type_c_18w_power_adapter?hl=en-US