USB C with MacBook Pro

Hey just got my Eve Spectrum and have been trying to get my MacBook Pro 2021 to work with the 4k 144H. I got a thunderbolt 3 pro cable from Apple so that should be able to handle the bandwidth. But when ever I turn it into the USB 2/ 4k 144Hz mode for USB C I cannot get a display. Well that is partially untrue as I can get a display in this mode with the MacBook Pro open and the refresh rate set to 60Hz But with the MacBook shut and even in 60 Hz mode I still cannot get a display. HDR also only works in the USB 2/ 4k 144Hz but will only work when the MacBook is open as well and only at 60Hz. Hope there is a solution to this as I want to just get my setup done with and no more messing around.

2 Likes

try directly a DP cable, that should work.

The USB-C port doesn’t currently support display stream compression (DSC), which is required to get 144Hz. It’ll be enabled in a future firmware version.

The best you can get right now is 120Hz without HDR, but you might need an app like SwitchResX to get the Mac to use it.

I’m also having a similar issue with my M1 Mac Mini and my Lenovo X1 laptop. Can’t get a display signal using any Thunderbolt 4/USB-C cables.

It ONLY works in HDMI or with a USB-C->DP cable. The Spectrum only has 1 DP port so this isnt really an option for me. A bit disappointing

Having the same problem here. I can only get a VGA output to my 2021 M1 MacBook. I can’t even pull off the DP and I have every cable known to man. I was so happy to receive my monitors today. But any help here is appreciated. Still haven’t figured out how I’m going to upgrade the firmware with an M1 either. In my part of the world Macs are really important. Hope Eve understands the importance of this market.

3 Likes

Hi @bluztoo,

Most people have been using a Bootcamp or going to their local libraries to update the firmware. However, these are temporary solutions and we will be producing a macOS firmware soon.

3 Likes

Does it mean the monitor will support Thunderbolt3 connection with macbook air m1 after the firmware upgrade? Where can I subscribe to be notified about the upgrade? I’m considering this monitor to purchase as single monitor for macbook and PC, how does switching between sources work when connected to USB-C and DP? Should I buy some kind of KVM switch for that?

The Spectrum has a built-in KVM switch and can easily change inputs between DP, USB-C, and HDMI using a mini joystick on the back of the monitor. I have a MacBook Pro 2019 and it works great with Spectrum.