USB-C docks - Discussion

necropsost… khm khhm… updating the discussion with an interesting educational/comparative review I just found with recent docks and expansion cards… pretty similar in context with iKirin’s Linus video, a bit more updated.

Here are some usb c docs I found that I found cool

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKTZLBS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BVewzbR8AE60G

Not sure where this question truly belongs but I’m running into a maze when finding a usb c Multiport adapter with 7 or so ports. (Hdmi, lan, SD card, power throughput, 2x usb, optional: vga)
I found a bunch of great ones one the 40-80 eur range but the user responses are quite mixed.

Would be cool if Eve could test a few and then share the results or even better: survey what is most needed and offer it to the community while claiming a good price at the manufacturer.

An official multi-port adapter is a good idea. We will discuss the possibility with the manufacture and ask the community what ports to be there :grin:

Also, after the shipment of V, the owners can share in community which 3rd party adapters work with V

What about adding an induction charger so one can easy charge his phone (without having to add another cable) ?
:thinking::star_struck:

Sorry, it should be read: adding a induction charger to the multi port adapter

Do you mean
V (USB-C) -----> multi-port adapter ------> phone?

I think @AML means something like this

perfectly correct, sorry for the lack of specifics :blush:

like the chocolate hub, except the ports off course. :hugs:

Understand, that kind of hub/dock is a valuable add-on, maybe call it “V Hub” :smirk:

I would do two hubs:
Travel - USB-C or TB3 - charging, 2-3x USB-A, VGA, HDMI, LAN, SD card reader
Home/Office - USB-C or TB3 - charging, 3+x USB-A, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, LAN, SD card reader, audio, potentially FireWire or SATA

That is a lot. I am a little confused by the charging, why not just plug the charger into the second port if needed. Same goes for USB A - do you really need 4-5 USB A ports (the V has 2)?

I could imagine on use case, if you work at the same place for several days and set up the dock once.

@Xinjie

My perfect travel adapter for the V would be something small like the Dell DA200. In a travel adapter I need only ports that are not on the device itself. So replacing the USB A on the Dell with a SD card reader
would be my perfect travel adapter for the EVE V.

A battery in the adapter is a bad idea imho. The result is a big and heavy adapter. I want to be able to use the battery and the adapter separately. For example charging the battery while using the adapter. Additionally a battery will break down over time.

Plug through charger (2nd port).

Presentation at clients - some have VGA some HDM projectors, LAN - connection to client’s network, SD card for photographers to move/view photos.

USB added for plugging stuff to one place (could be removed), for at home use - 2x USB port for many BR/DVD external readers/writers.

USB Type-C/thunderbolt by-the-spec questions/concerns

Ok guys,
It seems you have taken over this thread and used it for a totally different topic.

The initial purpose of the thread is to ask the @Team if the implementation (the actual hardware and software that runs it) on the usb type c/thunderbolt ports is following the spec, because there are freaking lot of chargers/adapters which do not follow it and can and will damage your electronics and the cables/chargers themselves.
Here is a list of some: Nathan C. suggested peripherals (not made by me but by the actual persons who i want to also test the V).

You seem to have started (following @AmazingArjan’s post) to talk about a dock for the V.

I would also like to comment about what i need in a dock/dongle/adapter, and why some of the requests here i think are quite unreasonable, but i think this should belong to another [unofficial] thread.
Also, i bought this one for my macbook pro 2017, and it works ok-ish. sometimes a disconnect/reconnect from the laptop fixes everything: travel adapter

Is there a possibility to create a different thread for that topic, and clean this one please?

Are you trying to solve these 2 use cases with the same adapter/dock? They are different and conflict with each other. If you disassemble the dock setup at home (to carry it with you), most of its convenience will be gone.

Or…

INTRODUCING: VUB!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Does anybody know if either the Thunderbolt and/or the USB connection will allow to, charge the V as well as hook up external dock?

That would be neat, as I’d only have to connect one cable to the V to get everything that I’d want. :grinning:

Yes, both will allow that.

That is the whole concept of TB3, USB C and docks :wink: