USB C connection only power no video

Just connected my HP EliteBook 830 G6 via USB C. I only get power, no video.

Connected it to port 5

This is the cable I’m using.

Anybody got a tip?

Do I need to install a driver? My laptop is running Windows 11 (Education).
No second monitor is showing in Device Manager.

Try another USB-C Thunderbolt 4 cable, most of the Users had problems with cheap USB-C Cables.

And maybe:
Did you select the correct Input in the OSD ?

That looks like an inexpensive USB-C cable that’s designed for primarily for charging. It won’t have the physical wires needed to carry a video signal.

As noted above, the easiest way to get a good cable is to find one that advertises Thunderbolt 4. All TB4 cables should be able to support the data rate needed to carry a 4K 144Hz HDR video signal.

You can also look at Thunderbolt 3, USB 3 or USB 4 cables. These cables can have different capabilities, and you want to look for one that explicitly mentions 40Gbps in the description. If the cable doesn’t state that it supports 40Gbps, it almost certainly won’t work.

2 Likes

Do you have any idea if the charging cable that comes with the new MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro, 97W) has the physical wires need to carry a video signal?

No, the apple charging cable has no support for external Monitors.

From Apple:

Compared with Apple USB-C Charge Cable
The Apple USB-C Charge Cable is longer (2m) and also supports charging, but data-transfer speed is limited to 480Mbps (USB 2.0) and it doesn’t support video. The Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) cable has Thunderbolt logo on the sleeve of each connector. Either cable can be used with the Apple USB-C Power Adapter.
About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Cable - Apple Support

same, no video, but yes to power and charging with my 2019 MacBook Pro using a Belkin TB USB-C 40GBPS.