USB-C - A step to the future or not useful at all?

As I said, every cable is different. You just have less experience with type C, less bad examples. I’m sure with time you’ll understand that none of them is “better”. It’s not bad design, it’s bad cable.

Same is with USB-A, mini USB and micro USB … so do not blame USB-C for that.

I’m not blaming it. I’m just saying that @Eric_S shouldn’t blame micro USB.

That leads to the question of how I avoided the good examples of micro USB. In a year and a half of using USB-C charging across four phones (two phones, each replaced once) and three brands of USB-C cables, I haven’t had a charging problem related to the connection once. Prior to that, at least 5 years of mini USB charging, and never had a cable that would reliably charge a device that wasn’t new for more than 4 months.

Sure, it could be a statistical fluke, but I’ll be skeptical until I see some evidence.

On that note, what cable would you recommend (and please be specific)? I’m willing to try recommendations as an experiment, as I’d really like to get to the bottom of the differences in experience.

I usually just use the “default” cables that come with devices, so no recommendation. How do you want me to prove that I’ve never had any problems with micro USB connection? I just don’t force it the wrong way. Some people do that and then the connector becomes loose…

Bringing a case of different equipment didn’t work as an argument in my case either. He is not particularly sensible to the possibility that things might be different than what he pictures (to Paul: yes, I’m criticising you).

As Lukas_Fikr put it:

Personal criticising aside, my personal experience with micro-USB is that it depends not only on the cable but also on the phone, which probably actually means the manufacturer of that specific component in the phone. The Sony I have is very loose with certain cables and just adequate with others. My previous Nexus 4 (which I replaced because it always had very serious issues, that in this case I blame to a defective unit not having evidence of the contrary) was very tight with most cables.

Did you have the problem on different phone manufacturers or on just one?

Regardless, I am inclined to believe that with USB-C they corrected some design flaws, as it just seems natural. This could be one of such flaws. In particular I believe the rounded edge and larger size both have a purpose other than pure aesthetics: square connectors are easier to manufacture but the forces at play when handling them are different.

I should clarify. I may have come on overly critical at first when I was in shock that someone else had such a totally different experience, but even then, I was willing to accept your experience at your word. Now I’m trying to collect information to investigate why our experiences diverge so distinctly.

Definitely a possibility, as ALL of my personal USB-C equipment experience has been with Nexus 6Ps or chargers purchased from Google. I’ve got cables that I picked up elsewhere, but those are the only exceptions. The micro-USB gear covers a much broader spectrum in every direction. Nexus 7 tablets (2012 and 2013), Samsung Galaxies (2, 3, 4, and 5), other Samsung and LG phones, a Samsung tablet, etc. I’m probably forgetting a few phones from years back. There have definitely been micro USB devices I’ve had that exhibited this more than others, but all have been more affected by this than any of the 6Ps I’ve had experience with.

Whatever issue I’m seeing, I strongly believe it to be wear and tear related. When a device is new, just about any cable will work reliably. The older the device gets, the pickier it gets about cables and the faster new cables stop working with it. The fact that my roommate that puts his devices through the least stress has the least problems is another indicator in that direction. I almost never see him using his phone or tablet in a cluttered area of the house, so accidents are far less likely to happen to his equipment.

@pauliunas, Micro-USB is absolutely inferior to Type-C in durability. It isn’t realistic to argue otherwise.

It is a poor connection on:
Nexus 7
Nexus 4
Nexus 5
Galaxy S7 Edge
Galaxy Note 3
Motorola G 2nd Gen

That I’ve personally used, let alone friend’s poor experiences with mUSB. Even with good cables. Bought Monoprice, Anker PowerLine, the OEM cables…none last, even Anker with an 18 month warranty (which they replace, no questions asked). USB-C has never had a problem once for anyone I know, or myself personally. Online reviews agree with this, anecdotal evidence agrees with this, we all agree on this based on real-world experience. I’m careful with my connectors. I always check directional alignment first, make sure I insert and remove without excessive force. Maybe you never use your devices while charging, I dunno, but you are definitely an outlier in the case of mUSB. Every piece of evidence supports Type-C over mUSB except your statement that the connector durability is fine. Which real-world experience goes against (I’ve never heard anyone say good things about mUSB durability).

I’ll give merit to your arguments against USB-C replacing USB-A, but I stand my ground on mUSB. Type-C is superior to mUSB and there’s no reason for mUSB to stick around.

I had Nexus 5, it broke and I switched to a 5x which uses USB-C.

During my first couple of weeks with the 5x, I was not used to the stiffness of the type C connector, that it dragged my 5x off the table a couple of times :joy:

actually me I do share @pauliunas’ experience with good microUSB connector durability… :slight_smile: though there’s also nothing wrong with USB-C I guess (have no experience whith it)

The basic USB 2 micro USB is ok, but it is only USB 2. Have you ever used the extended USB 3 micro USB?

Yes, the USB B 3 too :wink:
But USB-C is much better in my opinion^^

Since I am probably the guilty party here ( :blush: :innocent: ) let me start first: I am no prophet, what seems to be a good idea in theory might still fail in practice, and it is foolhardy to bet against Microsoft on the timeframe of a technology adoption but here are my less than two cents: USB-C/TB3 satisfies the need for miniaturisation and is an uber-fast jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-all; it can replace all other ports, including HDMI and audio and we might soon expect even ethernet and PCI-Express. If so, then, it seems to me, that, at least in theory, it should simplify design and allow for economies of scale in components, and, for that reason, it would be in the interests of the industry to adopt it, and, at the same time, the convenience of using the same ports and connectors for all peripherals and the ability to sustain high transfer rates would be a sufficient reason for f the consumers to go along, even at the cost of relying on adapters for legacy equipment .

I’ve had similar good experiences with my Lumia 950 XL using USB-cables and accessories. Good crisp connections, ease of insertion, the only issues I’ve had were with cheap cables where the connectors broke off. I’ve since switched to using only Aukey cables and I’ve not had any issues whatsoever.

yeah… though not for charging anything, only to connect external HDDs… never had a problem there either… :thinking:

It could make it all easier for the end-user, but there is still the problem that for TB3 you need PCIe lanes and you’re therefore limited in the number of ports on the device that really can do everything. And it’s very expensive to lay the cables for several TB3 ports, I guess. And until then it’s still a huge mess for the customer. I’m not hating on USB-C here btw. I’d also like one port to rule them all, but I don’t think it’s in the close future. I’d say that it’ll still take a few years and maybe even the port will change again, but one port for everything is the inevitably the future imo.

I can’t speak to the overall ‘useful or not’ question posed because I believe that’s relative. As for it being a step to the future, I can say ‘yes’. I think it’s a “new-ish” technology that is quite complicated and has seen slower adoption compared to previous similar technologies. I think we’re still in a transitional period that is seeing some acceleration by the release of Type-C/TB3 capable machines that’s going on now. I do :sparkling_heart: the possibilities that come with connecting directly to the PCI Express bus at 40Gb/sec, especially external graphics. The Razer Core to me is the epitome of the technology right now. I’ll probably be getting one for use with the V.:sunglasses:

I found a while ago that there are such things as cheap cables, and that quality /does/ matter. I’ve purchased around 100 USB cables of various types over the years, and found that the cheap ones; don’t last, aren’t easy to use, don’t conform to spec, suffer from random other issues that I don’t need to remember, or some combination of those.

More recently I’ve been into USB-C and Thunderbolt3 because of the V, but also because of my job. One thing I’ve found is that with USB-C and TB3, cable and charger quality matters more than ever. For striking evidence of this, check out the work done by Google Engineer and USB-C warrior Benson Leung and his counterpart Nathan K.

What they find is :scream:.

[details=Summary]In a nutshell, manufacturers are not paying attention to the USB Specifications when making their cables, more often than not they cut costs by using subpar materials, omitting necessary wires or programming the chips inside (Yes, the cables have electronics inside them that communicate with device AND charger!) to do the bare minimum operation. This causes devices and chargers to not perform the actions that the USB Spec allows for, and in some cases are downright DANGEROUS to the device (getting too much or different power and killing the board) the cable (too much power causes overheat and short) or you (charger catches fire).
Only a small percentage of cables and even fewer chargers meet the USB Spec and are considered (by him) good enough to use. I have been purchasing Apple chargers and cables because they’ve implemented their chargers and cables correctly and are widely available. has others, but I didn’t see any Apple stuff there. Can’t tell if it’s updated regularly.[/details]

For more information: USB Type C Explained

Sorry for the novel :dizzy_face:

And just when you thought this thread might finally die…here it is again!!! :rofl:

Nathan K, another Google guy who tests out USB-C stuff like Benson, generally gives good rating for Apple USB-C stuff more correctly Apple stuff made by Belkin:

Curious if you will be buying a dock and if so - will you be purchasing a USB-A dock or a dock that allows host charging via USB-C?

I’m eyeing the Plugable USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station because it’s relatively cheap and highly rated. However it’s not USB-C compatible and the dock they have that is compatible is a triple display dock that seems rather pricey and not as favorably reviewed. It almost looks like they came out with the triple display USB-C dock first to beta test it before they release a mainstream USB-C dock comparable to their popular USB 3.0 dock.

This should probably be posted in another thread but meh.