USB-C - A step to the future or not useful at all?

I bet you were the guy that complained when the industry finally moved from PS/2 to USB keyboards, too.

USB has advantages. PS/2 wasn’t universal and it was used for only mice and keyboards. It wasn’t that hard to use an adapter. But in this case, I see no advantages whatsoever for real computers, only for phones. And USB is used for much more than just mice and keyboards.

Just as USB type A is only for low power, low speed peripherals. And it isn’t any harder to use an adapter today…

Low speed? Oh you mean 10Gbps?

It isn’t harder to use an adapter, but it’s harder to use all those adapters. Because we need much more of them. And adapters are annoying.

Good luck running an eGPU with that

Again, are we discussing Thunderbolt or USB? Make up your mind.

We are discussing the plug, type c, which happens to be used by both USB and thunderbolt. There’s no thunderbolt 3 in a type A-port.

Let’s leave Thunderbolt away. For a few reasons.

• most devices don’t support it
  • it could have used any other connector, so type-C can take absolutely no credit for its performance. It’s just the 20 contacts it uses.

Just as USB type A could have used another plug? Just as every device didn’t have USB when it was launched?

Yes, you are correct. Thunderbolt could have used any other plug. But it didn’t. So it is a clear advantage to the type c-connector.
As I said, we’re discussing the plug. And thunderbolt is one of many things that makes type c superior to type A.

The difference here is that USB didn’t replace one port. It replaced many different ports and it made people’s life easier. With USB-C it only replaces USB, and it brings only confusion with it. Just look at the situation with HDMI adapters for example. Half of them just don’t work. There is HDMI alt mode and DP alt mode… And when ypu buy an adapter you can’t tell for sure if it will work for your device. For example, V has no HDMI alt mode. With USB it was completely different. Same protocol, no “optional” alt modes, plug&play. Type A and B also helped. For example, if you take a USB-C hard drive and plug a thumb drive into it, it won’t work. That’s counter-intuitive. With type A and B, you know that if a device has a type A port, it will work with anything that has a type A plug or type B receptacle. The only obstacle is drivers.

I agree, Thunderbolt is awesome. But let me correct you: it’s the only thing that makes type C better than type A. Since we all agree Thunderbolt is awesome, let’s not discuss it. What makes me sick looking at, is a type C port without Thunderbolt support. There is nothing I can do with it, it’s just a waste of space.

… and thunderbolt. And power. And HDMI/DP

I will not argue that it will cause some confusion the coming years. But that’s unavoidable with any new standard.

Several stores do this, and sometimes it’s so obvious it’s hilarious.

The Moto Z Play is certainly not priced at 12000 aed (3267$).

It won’t replace the power port of my desktop, just like it won’t replace the HDMI port on my dedicated graphics card. It’s simply not possible. Sure, a graphics card could come with a type C connector but that would mske absolutely no sense because it couldn’t serve any other purpose than video output. The problem with this “standard” is that it doesn’t fully replace anything.

I’m sure that was a typo… It’s not 11999, it’s 1999 :slight_smile:

Well, I can imagine an upcoming Surface Phone to have a USB C/Thunderbolt 3 port which runs full blown Windows . Try doing that with a regular USB A port…

The “typo” lasted for days :laughing:

You are right. It won’t replace the power supply on any desktop just as it won’t replace the PCI-e on the inside of the desktop. And that’s because those use-cases go beyond the capacity of the type c-port. No standard have not, and will not in the foreseeable future, replace every other standard ever. But just as so many standards before it, type c replaces a couple of older standards in one new. That’s one of the reasons why I think it’s superior to USB type A.

As for type c ports on graphics cards? I will not be surprised if they become a common sight in the next gen graphics.

And this argument can be made for every port on every device. I will never use more than on USB type A port on my V at the same time. But I can see how others might, and I do not question it’s usability.
There is an incredibly small number of users that use every port on their computers. If you used to be one of them, apparently you won’t be any longer once the V arrives.

Yeah, USB ports that don’t support USB flash drives… No thanks.

That is true, but USB aimed to replace a selection of ports and it fully replaced every single port in that selection. We don’t have PS/2 ports anymore. Anywhere. Not in laptops, not in desktops, nowhere. If you want a new standard to replace several standards, you need to fully replace them and actually make them more useful. Just look at DisplayPort - I’ve never ever seen a single device with it. You know why? Because it’s not beneficial enough to have it over HDMI, and HDMI is so widespread that nobody cares about DisplayPort. That’s how important backwards-compatibility is.

Well, then why didn’t they add HDMI instead? Or RJ45? Or some other port that is actually useful without adapters? (I know, the device is too thin for these, it’s just an example)
They didn’t add more ports because people don’t need them. So I think they shouldn’t have added two type-C ports.

Well, I guess one of them can act as a charging port and the other can be used for eGPU or some sort of adapter. But the same could be achieved with a barrel charging port.

Now that wouldn’t be a USB port… I said a type c-port, not a USB type c-port.

I’d say that’s a really good example of type c beeing more useful.

I already explained why type C just can’t replace HDMI without adding more confusion.

Get your facts straight. This port is called USB Type-C. If you have a cable with type-C connector on it (for example from an external hard drive) and a type-C receptacle in a computer, you can plug it in and it must work. That’s how every single port works.