USB Accessories started disconnecting/reconnecting

I’ve used my Eve Spectrum for a couple of months together with a Intel MacBook and a Windows PC.

On the spectrum I have connected the MacBook through a USB-C 40Gbit TB4 Cable and to the PC Ive connected through a USB-B cable. I have also connected some peripherals like a USB Microphone which worked flawless for months on both Mac and PC. All of a sudden these peripherals started disconnecting and freezing (only lasts for a second) on Mac while working completely fine on PC.

Now the interesting part is that I just switched to a brand new M1 MacBook and I have the exact same issue on both my Microphone and Wireless mouse. Ive tried changing to “High Data Speed” but that didn’t make any difference.

This is a dealbreaker to me as I cannot use my peripherals on my Mac, please help.

Update:

I have now identified a part of the issue:
When I disconnect the USB-B cable that is connected to my PC everything seems to be working normally again on my Mac through USB-C without disconnections. However as soon as I plug in the USB-B cable the problem occurs again.

This is a copy of the answer I provided on the other thread you posted in.

There’s a USB hub firmware update available on the Eve support site that you could try installing, if you haven’t already. (Click the word DOWNLOADS to see the downloads.)

My Spectrum came with USB firmware 14.02, and the one on the site is 17.02. It’s meant to have improved compatibility with Macs, so might help in your case.

There was a slightly newer USB firmware version, 18.02, that came out with v106 scaler firmware. Lots of people had problems with that and needed to roll back. It’s working ok for me with an Intel-based MBP, and I can find a way to get you a copy if you want to risk it.

Thanks for the suggestion man, you’re always so helpful!

Unfortunately the issue still persists after updating to 17.02 :confused:

What really doesn’t make sense is that it worked perfectly fine for a couple of months then one day it just wouldn’t despite me not adding/changing any settings. And the issue only seems to be on Mac.

I also tried connecting the USB Microphone directly to the MacBook and that was working perfectly fine.

Update:

I have now identified a part of the issue:
When I disconnect the USB-B cable that is connected to my PC everything seems to be working normally again on my Mac through USB-C without disconnections. However as soon as I plug in the USB-B cable the problem occurs again.

This is really random, any EVE Staff that could take a look at this? @MarvyMarvz

Hi @davitzo,

It is odd that it suddenly happened in your case. It made me assume it is a hardware problem.

But we can try one thing: based on the other post, it seems like you are still on v104. I would suggest updating to v106 since it contains USB hub patch which may indirectly fix your issue.

In the meantime, I will bring it to the team to see what we can come up with.

1 Like

Appreciate it, agree that it sounds like a hardware issue.

I did update to 105 but the issue persists, Ive also tried the usb hub firmware update to no avail.

I prefer not upgrade to 106 as it can probably cause more issues (also 104>105 did not help) and Im dependent on the monitor for work.

Firmware v106 has been generally stable for most people.

There’s a new test firmware, based on v106, that’s been used by several people. It seems largely stable, but there have been a few issues noted on M1 Macs. If you’d like to give it a go, maybe do it on an evening or a weekend where you have time to do some tests and then roll back to v104 if needed.

1 Like