Update on Spectrum features

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean. That’s fair lol. I just wish that the USB-C port was more than just display (if I read the specs right).

Why have USB A ports at all? I don’t recall there being a survey to get rid of USB A specifically only USB as an option overall. I think USB C ports would be fine personally. Being a primarily USB C user at this point I have USB C on both ends of several of my cables. This does of course at times mean I have to use a USB C to A adapter but I guess I am just used to that.
My thought is that its less ports so less added space need as well as smaller ports used.

I guess USB A isn’t dead yet and some people might want to connect their mouse, keyboard and USB stick to the pc via the monitor. Similar reasoning for the V still having USB A ports. I’d say it’s definitely still nice to have a few USB a ports.

3 Likes

The polls showed a clear preference for both USB Type-A and Type-C ports:

50% voted for having both, versus
10% for only Type-C and
7% for only Type-A.

As @ToiletSheep mentioned, though USB-C is the future, Type-A isn’t dead just yet. There is something to be said for Apple’s approach of “if we don’t give them an option people will have to switch to the future-thing faster”, the reality is that outside of Apple’s walled garden a lot of people do still use USB Type-A peripherals…

3 Likes

@ToiletSheep, @Helios,
Guess so. It was a thought. I don’t recall that survey question so I might have missed it or just forgotten about it. We are packing so much into this monitor I figured if it was a viable option one less thing might help.
As far as apple goes they need to get off of lightning and get all their devices on thunderbolt.

I know the touch/pen option had previously been ruled out because of cost, but I just thought I’d mention the Apollo AIO with standalone monitor variant, which is basically a Surface Studio clone:

The Apollo Lite is the monitor-only variant with pen input:

and price at a very reasonable $599. You may be skeptical of the build quality, screen and pen-input like I was, but surprisingly Lisa from MobileTechReview gave all these factors a thumbs up in her first look:

The build quality and hinge mechanism are solid (though not quite at the fit-and-finish of the Surface Studio), the pen response is suitable for art, and screen has decent specs (a 10-bit panel):

Basically, I was wondering if maybe Eve could get in touch with the makers (Chinese company Sefree) to understand how they were able to bring the total BOM down enough support a retail price of $599. Lisa guessed they may have worked with UC-Logic to implement the digitizer system, so that could be an inroad for a similar drawing variant of the Spectrum.

I’d just like to suggest Eve take a serious look at this because with the Spectrum’s panel specs, this could become killer product for artists. Of course, I would easily pay more than $599 to account for the superior panel in the Spectrum. Even at $899, it would be a steal compared to Wacom Cintiqs and many alternatives.

Please investigate this angle if possible. Thanks.

10 Likes

The “latest” tab says there was activity here 16 hours ago, but the last comment was 3 days ago… I think there might be a bug in the site… :thinking:

This was an edit to the latest comment. But the software here is discourse, so if you do encounter a bug (that is not a styling issue) can be send to discourse.

1 Like

Who else keeps refreshing to see when the renders go live

3 Likes

Hopefully, this will be backlight strobing that works in combination with ALL of variable refresh AND variable overdrive. I would like all of these features to be available simultaneously without having to do what other monitors have done and force the user to make a compromise because some features don’t work with other features.

A new post with updates specs and features can be found here.