Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on V

Hey there,

I am just wondering if somebody tried Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on the V. Does it run smooth or are there any problems? Do I have to install special drivers or do adjustments to the system? It would be great to have a tablet/laptop with full Ubuntu support. The new Surface Go would work as well, but there will be no Linux Support for sure.

Greetings,
mopac

Hi, I haven’t tried to directly install ubuntu on the device, but I have utilised the Windows Subsystem for Linux to get both Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 running on Windows 10 without any issues, including graphic desktop through remote x client.

As you have noted the main issue would be the drivers, specially the touch and type-c drivers. It is one of the reasons I opted to stick with using the WSL rather than direct install.

Hi bulhanb,

thank you very much for the link. Could you be so kind and try to boot ubuntu 18.04LTS via live usb stick? Maybe touch and type-c drivers work out-of-the-box. I really would like to have a tablet instead of my bulky laptop. How is your overall impression of the system?

Greetings,
mopac

Hi Mopac,

I have created a live-usb of ubuntu 18.04 and booted the Eve with it. Quiet impressed that things worked straight up from the live session both touch, and Type-C Gigabit network ( I didn’t try the external monitors) worked. I have to say the screen picture was absolutely amazing. As it was the live-usb it went into portrait mode on the screen. The attached keyboard and trackpad worked and so did the wireless network.

So definitely there is every indication that the Eve V works with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I hope this helped.

Cheers, Bulhan

Thanks, seems so! Now I have to decide whether I want to buy the V or the GPD Pocket 2 when released. But I think the V will be a better deal, and the screen is a lot bigger! Do you plan to install Ubuntu directly in the future? Again, thank you very much!

Greetings, mopac

You are welcome, As for the V it is worth, but may be wait a little to see the organisation stabilise.

I have no plans to install ubuntu as I work mostly with windows development environments. For linux development, I have a separate linux server, as for a client windows WSL meets my requirements so far.

I wish you the best in finding a suitable 2-in-1 device.

Cheers, Bulhan