Thunderbolt 3 Docks tested with V

Summary of Thunderbolt 3 Docks Tested with V

The following is a quick summary of Thunderbolt 3 docks (not non-thunderbolt USB-C docks) tested with the V, and whether the dock connections work with the V and whether they deliver power to (i.e. charge) the V:

• HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 65W Dock: connections: YES; power delivery: YES (but USB ports don’t work with wireless dongles)
  • OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock: connections: YES; power delivery: TBD (conflicting reports)
  • Dell Thunderbolt TB16 Dock: connections: YES; power delivery: NO
  • Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station: connections: YES; power delivery: YES
  • Startech TB3DK2DPPD dock: connections: YES; power delivery: YES

Standard disclaimer: I do not work for Eve. This is based in incidental reports (below) from the community. I cannot guarantee that a particular device will work with your V. Use at your on risk etc. etc.

Further details can be found in the discussion below…

I recently purchased an HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 65W Dock:

It works perfectly with the V. It charges the V and, without having to install any drivers, I have a network, additional USB ports, and 4K 60Hz external display (using display-port). It should work with dual 4K monitors, but I haven’t tested it with that. It’s nice and light and compact too, and now I just have one connection to the V at home.

Unfortunately, using the dock, I still have the banding issue described here:

I thought it was worth starting a thread of supported Thunderbolt Docks that are compatible with the V. So if you also have a thunderbolt dock that did or did not work with the V, please post here.

Thank you for the information and shared experience.

Looking forward to heat more experiences with other TB3 dock too.

Two that I’ve tried on the V:

OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock - doesn’t work. Or rather, it works for a few seconds before stopping and restarting.
Dell Thunderbolt TB16 Dock - all connections work, but it doesn’t deliver power.

Thanks for that. I’ll try to keep my original post up to date to make it as clear as possible for anyone considering purchasing a Thunderbolt 3 dock for the V.

Are you sure about this? I have the OWC TB3 Dock which I mainly use with my macbook, and I can see it works and also charges the V. I haven’t tested all the features such as the network connection or external monitors, but the usb hub and the charging seem ok, without disruption.

It could be that mine was faulty, but OWC explicitly will not support it - they say it’s a Mac-only device.

Thank you @tmaone and @catonkatonk for sharing your experiences.

@tmaone It is true, that OWC does not support Win compatibility with the TB3 dock (current version). They plan to bring a new version of it for Mac and Win, this spring, though there is no exact timing published.

It would be great if you could try to connect it to LAN and dual monitors, if possible. That would help a lot.
As we currently are quite limited in terms of docks this looks as a powerful alternative.

How does the V behave when powered via the OWC TB3 dock? Overheating issues? Could the battery get irregular power or is the dock sending out the correct Amperes and Watts?

USB-PD compliance has nothing to do with OS, if it’s USB-PD compliant it should work fine for the V.

The OWC dock does work. I have one here and I am driving TWO 24" monitors (one with HDMI and one with a mini display port to DVI). The problem with the OWC is that it does not have enough power to charge the “V” through the T 3 cable. It only has 60 watts output. The work around that allows it to work is to connect your “V” charger to the USB C connector on the “V”.

I bought one of these “Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station”. seems to work fine though it says it only deliverers 60W of charging power. Doesn’t seem to cause any problems. Ive got the Ethernet and HDMI all hooked up and all the 3.0 USB ports work with everything I tried.

But it’s out of stock at the moment.

Mike

Wow, that sounds amazing @stebbinsgr
Would be great if you could post a photo of the dock connected to your V with the dual monitors, if that is possible?
Either here in the post or via PM if you wish. I am excited to see that combo.

Thank you in advance.

Mmm, I have been using the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock (certified for Mac AND PC) since it was released on an Asus G752 notebook without a problem. It was the OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock that was not certified for use with Windows PC’s (however I used that one too with the same Windows notebook without a problem).
When my LB 1TB Core i7 V arrives I will give it a spin too.

Good to know, thanks for the post!
Please, keep us updated with photos (if possible) :slight_smile:

Does it charge the V as well?

It seems to do a good job of charging, but I rarely have a fully depleted battery and don’t know what would happen when charging a very deeply discharged battery. It works just great for me.

I’ve been using a Startech.com TB3DK2DPPD dock, the one with 85w power delivery and it does its job.
I have a few at my office connected to some Dell Latitude 7400’s and Dell P2715Q 4k displays over DisplayPort. With the Latitudes, I’ve been running in to driver issues where one part of the dock will stop working (either display, USB or Network) randomly after waking the display up. I have a feeling it’s just the P2715Q being finicky.
All that said, no problems with the dock connected to the V. It charges well, outputs 4K60 no problem, USB ports work well, it handles disconnection and reconnection well.
I can test dual 4k displays if someone is interested.

@maxpeet Many thanks. i’ve added that to the list. It would be great if you could check whether you have any banding issues with your external monitor if it’s connected by DP1.2 (see V: Banding on external monitor using DP1.2 (4K 60Hz) - request for help)

Out of curiosity, are the displays 4K at 60Hz? Would that configuration work across TB3?

@saltcafe I think dual 4k displays would mean 30hz on each due to bandwidth limitation of TB3. Someone else please correct me if I’m wrong there. I’ll confirm it tomorrow at the office if I remember :wink:

@Phil The P2715Q’s default setting is DP1.2 and I’ve had absolutely no issues with them. Some are run at 30Hz because of older computers but most are doing 4k60 no problems.

TB3 with all 4 lanes enabled should be able to pull in sufficient bandwidth for 2 x 4K60 displays.