The perfect smartphone screen size?

I’m curious to hear what the community thinks about this subject.

All the manufacturers nowadays just stick to 5", 5.2" or 5.5", and the remaining size options are left uncharted. I personally think that there should be much more freedom of choice and I don’t believe that 5-5.5" is the only size that has high demand.

So I’m asking eve.community to take a poll and tel me their favorite screen size :slight_smile:
Please also consider the physical size of the phone - let’s assume that all the options listed have 1mm bezels on either side of the screen, and 1-1.5cm above/below it.

So what is the perfect size for a smartphone screen?

• Under 3.5"
  • 3.5"
  • 4"
  • 4.3"
  • 4.5"
  • 4.7"
  • 5"
  • 5.2"
  • 5.5"
  • 5.7"
  • 6"
  • 6.2"
  • 6.5"
  • Over 6.5"

0 voters

An amazing Eve Phone
High-end smartphone (small form factor)
Weekly Tech Survey [29.08.17]

Wouldn’t it be better to make intervals instead of many different dimensions? Or at least making the poll multiple choice?

I’ve had 5.5" phones for the last 3years and I’m pretty comfortable with this screen size… It’s big enough for everything I need and small enough as a device (portability), so I’m pleased with this size…

part of the problem is male vs female hand sizes. As a female (with long fingers) my 5.1" phone is about as big as I’d want. Most of my female friends think my phone is too big.

@pauliunas I wish you would’ve laid out the poll a little differently. My vote would be 6-inch or larger.

My most favorite phone I have ever seen is still the Nokia Lumia 1520. Put some new internals in a red bodied one of those and I’d find it to be one beautiful phone.

I think either way is fine: You can combine sizes later into intervals to give an idea if large/middle/small sizes are preferred.
In this way you are open to construct intervals that are meaningful to the users and pregiven intervals might not be as smart as you think.

This is a really good point: Maybe it is wise to say that we should go for a normal and a XL version.
I do see the need for larger screen sizes but it is nothing for me - and even more so for my wife who would like to have a rather small one - due to practical reasons (where to put it when on the road).

This might be a stupid question but I wonder whether the screen size also depends on the choice of display (ratio,resolution and manufacturer, OLED) we would go for. Or is this independent?

I’ve had an iPhone 5s in daily use for some time and its screen at 4 inches feels very portable and easy to reach all corners with one hand. The only problem with the size would be typing (getting used to smaller keyboard again after using a larger screen) and I sometimes have problems hitting small buttons at the corner of the screen.

For example, hitting the tiny “go back to previous app” button takes a LOT of effort sometimes… I’m not sure if it’s the touch screen that sucks in precision in the corners or what, but it’s really annoying to deal with.

This is just a general opinion poll, it’s not related to Eve :slight_smile: that’s why I posted it in the community category. I just wanted to see what people prefer.

By the way, the preliminary poll results:
21/56 people think that the perfect size is under 5"
6/56 people think that the perfect size is over 5.5"
So this means that only 53% of our users are safely covered by current smartphone market. Just think about it: there are hundreds of 5-5.5" models out there, in all price ranges. And there are maybe 2-3 phones larger/smaller than that. They often don’t even match the price criteria. For example, everything under 5" is utter garbage except Sony Xperia Compact series. And they’re quite overpriced… I haven’t deeply researched the 6" waters, but I see a similar trend there. Isn’t it now time for someone like Eve to step up against this evil?
The numbers might still change, but the trend is already emerging.

I too prefer smaller phones. I like to grip them properly, cling with my right hand fingers onto the left bezel… and still be able to use it. I’ve owned two HTC phones with 4.3" screens and I never had a problem hitting anything. There might be problems in desktop websites, but so they are on 5" or 5.5". I guess iPhone has a poor UI design or a poor touchscreen. Because there really shouldn’t be any buttons that small. Oh, and one of those HTC phones that I used was HTC HD2 - running Windows Mobile 6.5. The OS was designed for PDAs, it wasn’t even meant to be used without a stylus, but I had no big problems hitting those small buttons there. Ans my fingers aren’t that thin either.

This means that 37,5% might not be satisfied with the current situation (someone who prefers 4,7" might also be OK with 5") and that the rest (62,5%) are completely happy with their phones. Shocking news so far.

The bezels change the entire size of the phone. For example, the iPhone 7 plus has a 5.5 inch screen. The Xiaomi Mi Mix has a 6.4 inch screen but in physics dimensions they are the same because the Xiaomi has an 89% screen to body ration whilst the iPhone is 67%.

I’m currently using a 4.7 inch iPhone 6s. The physical size of it is perfect for me but I want a bigger screen. It all comes down to the bezels

That’s why I suggested this…

And they are NOT of the same size.
Xiaomi: 158.8 x 81.9 x 7.9 mm
iPhone: 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm
That’s 4mm difference in width… quite a lot to my taste

The numbers don’t match. We have 99.9% of 5-5.5" phones now… Please don’t tell me you’re going to turn this 37% into 0.1% now, LOL. Oh, and nobody seems to care about bezels when making a 5" screen. Sure, if someone finds 4.7" perfect, they might be satisfied with a bezel-less 5" phone, but they don’t seem to exist. If it’s 5", it means huge bezels.

Maybe you can show us the data your assumption is based on. So we can compare these data to our poll-results.

Sorry, not doing that on my phone :stuck_out_tongue: too laggy and slow internet connection… but it can be easily acquired by finding the number of smartphones released this year and subtracting those with screens strictly smaller than 5". Those can very easily be counted on fingers: Sony Xperia X Compact, Samsung Galaxy A3… and what else? I’m not aware of any more of them. Oh, iphones could be taken into consideration, but they’re in a completely different martket niche.

So I’ll wait till you are at home or have better connection :wink:

OK, sorry I took so long, but I now have some real numbers.
I went go GSMArena, since they have the biggest mobile phone database I know if (3269 phones with Android alone, twice as much if you take all the OSs)

Here’s what I found:
There were 499 Android phones made this year. Only 57 of them had screens smaller than 5". That’s 11.5%

Then I took one step further, and filtered them by RAM. Unlike Windows Phone, Android eats 1GB of RAM like nothing, and it’s a quite painful experience to switch between apps if you smartphone only has that. So I filtered out all the phones that have 1GB or less RAM. Here’s what I got:
Out of 339 smartphones released this year, only 7 were smaller than 5". That is 2%.

Here’s those 7 phones:

• Sony Xperia X Compact
  • Cat S60 (not really compact - its body is as wide as a 5.5" phone, and thicker)
  • YU Yunique Plus (I mean what? What is this brand? Does this even count?)
  • Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 (even with a 4.5" screen it’s actually bigger than 5.1" Samsung Galaxy S7)
  • Gionee W909 (not even available in Europe and the US)
  • Coolpad Torino S (seems like this one is another cheap “quick disappointment” brand like Prestigio)
  • Panasonic Eluga Arc (only available in India)

So basically the only viable option for a compact smartphone is the Sony, with Coolpad coming close, but still not having earned enough trust. That’s quite sad.

From my point of view, screen size does not matter as much as the overall size of the phone… basically 3,5 to 4 inches is a good size, as it allows for a conveniently small phone (won’t say perfectly since I’ve been finding every phone too big ever since I replaced my Sony Ericsson T650i :D), as long as the bezels are small enough (wouldn’t mind a slight reduction of those on my Lumia 532 :sweat_smile:). However, 4,3 inches can be okay if a phone is virtually bezel-less :slight_smile:

edit: basically, I might consider 3 inches too small for a smartphone :wink: