The most wanted products of 2019!

Hi.
Ervin here.
I would really like to have a Pocket PC.
An All In One Smartphone PC with windows and a pen.
I have a vision of a laptop that has a battery, screen, a keyboard and a hole where touchpad is supposed to be.
And in that hole goes the Pocket PC that becomes a glass touchpad.
The stylus of the Pocket PC can be used on both.
While it’s sitting in there, it’s charging itself.
The laptop could hold wireless earphones to be able to receive phone-calls.
Also charged when docked in.
The Pocket PC with the pen is made for work.
The laptop part would essentially be a battery bank, a big display, an extension of the Pocket PC.
All what I stated above already existed in some form and was tried in some way.
What I would love to see is that EVE makes it right and functional by combining all the existing technologies and experiences of other manufacturers and developers. We have their mistakes. We should use it.

Smartphone evolved.
Ultra book evolved.
That is next.

I was misunderstanding about miniPC orz
But I think of my ideal PC while misunderstanding.

Main is 8 inch Tablet.
A keyboard attached there.
Furthermore, a pointing device which also serves as an additional battery
Even more additionally at home it is a mini PC with an external GPU.

I would like to see an ebook reader with color display for reading comics :smiley:

Yes this will be definitely the one worth putting resources and worth consideration for buying rather than developing a whole new product.

It’s an interesting idea. But I don’t think it’s feasible due to a number of reasons.

1. Windows isn’t a good OS for small touch enabled devices.
  2. Windows on ARM CPU’s is bad performance wise.
  3. Small device with x86 CPU would mean low performance components due to size and thermal limits. Also battery life would likely be horrific.

All this means that an android smartphone with pen like the Samsung Note would need to be chosen. Which means such a device would need to be designed and made. While not impossible, the phone would need to be good enough as a phone for people to want to buy it. The dock capability would be a secondary priority to most buyers.

Ideally you’d want a system that allows you to use an android phone connected to a Windows system, but that again means that a Windows laptop and an android phone would need to be designed. And that would most likely be rather expensive for consumers. Meaning that only if Eve made both devices to a review rating of 9/10 would it be likely to sell.

Just wanted to let you know that we have also noticed that a lot of you are wondering about our plans for V2. Worry not we will get to discussing those to but a bit later when other product categories are more refined! So make sure to keep great ideas in your head :nerd_face:

Hope that the V2 discussion starts early, because once again the market lacks some great option at reasonable price.

I am well aware of restrictions that you mentioned.
And I agree with you.
Still, I had a Pocket PC 12 years ago made by Samsung :laughing:
It was awesome!
It was liberating!
It can be done again.
I was just stating my wish and it’s the only thing that we don’t have nowadays.
What else can Eve do is quite simple.
It can do a tablet, ultra book, laptop, PC…
All that we have from Apple and Samsung to Razer and Asus ROG…
Not to mention smartphone manufacturers with one exception.
Samsung Note line. The only smartphone with the pen.
But it’s still on android.
What if we aim on a phablet?
A 6” dual boot thing…
Or even a windows based device that has android up and running on top of windows?
I have windows 10 running in a window on OSX. I use Parallels desktop to “install” windows and it’s working surprisingly without a problem!
Maybe same can be done to run Android.
A Pocket PC with the smartphone capabilities is a true all in one that has to come to life yet.
It can be done but we would need Google and Microsoft support on developing such a device.
Also Intel and AMD and TSMC…
Sorry, I’m just dreaming :blush:
Anyway, let me try to debate your three points.

1. I agree but with the pen it’s not a big problem. At least it wasn’t for me back in 2007 or 2008, don’t remember exactly.
  2. I wouldn’t be the judge of that, it’s still in it’s diapers.
  3. I believe that it has enough power to handle internet, YouTube, Office programs and other everyday most common use cases.
    But I personally root for ARM based device that runs windows.
    Because for video and photo editing, CAD and 3D, gaming and similar “heavy” use cases, you need a proper machine anyway.
    I use smartphone most of the time. When I can, I enjoy the PC because of it’s big screen and raw power.
    Sorry for long post.

If I may add a few thoughts…
I see the ARM as the future of PC.
They are already on 7nm and 5nm next year.
It’s a great architecture with a great battery management. Look at Apple, they have their ARM chips all over like the T2 in the latest MacBook Pro.
I bet that in a couple of years they will launch a fully ARM based laptop.
Respect to AMD, Intel is still struggling to get the 10nm working properly.
And imagine if Intel or AMD added LTE support…
And so on and on…
The future will be interesting in the next years.
Again, I see the ARM as a winner if the X86 part doesn’t wake up. (Intel and AMD)
It would be awesome if they would work together on making the future better (Intel, AMD and Radeon, Qualcomm, nVidia)
But I was always a dreamer :innocent:

And dreams come true eventually :wink:

So far we have already received over a thousand in-depth replies to our crowd development survey. Thank you all for your brilliant responses! We can’t wait to share the results with you, but in the meantime we would like to ask additional questions about some of the product categories to better understand what makes them special to you.

We’ll be tackling these in a random order, so don’t be too disheartened if your category isn’t picked first: more of these topics will be popping up over time.

The first product category up for discussion is All-in-One desktop computers, so if you’re a fan of those don’t forget to read our questions and share your thoughts in this topic!

I have to say I’m absolutely in love with this idea. Modularity should take a big part in a possible new Eve device.

This is probably a case of a pragmatist(me) vs an idealist(you) :slight_smile:

If Windows on ARM can be done properly it would be fantastic. I would love the battery life that you could get from that. If it’s the future or not it’s too early to tell.

The main issue limiting ARM on Windows is emulation, in that in order to support legacy apps(x86 apps) Windows needs to emulate them into an ARM-compatible form and this brings with it all kind of losses. Running virtualization also brings with it its losses.

I just don’t see Eve being able to fix these issues as Eve is predominately a hardware company and not a software company. Can what you want be done? Yes. Is it easily done? Unfortunately not. We’re so ingrained in using x86 apps, that it’ll take years to shift away from them. Windows has tried multiple times to “remake” Windows with its Windows RT and UWP apps but it never really caught on.

Agreed.
That’s why Apple has a huge advantage over Microsoft.
And I bet that they already have ARM OSX in their labs running on proprietary ARM SOC.
Anyway, we will see what happens next :blush:

Unlike other haptic technologies, there’s no reliance on moving parts or any physical change to the screen, meaning that Senseg’s concepts could be integrated into the same devices we use today. However, in order to make it into the hands of consumers, Senseg needs to secure hardware partners — something that company representative Dave Rice says is happening now, with hope that the tech will appear in devices within the next one or two years.

This is from an article about haptic feedback for touchscreens, something that I would love to see implemented in future devices. As of now, this technology has not found its way into consumer products, but the direct physical response and satisfaction from pressing a button combined with the versatility of a touchscreen sounds very appealing to me, and it could be a unique selling point for anything that EVE comes up with in the future.

It’s good to see the community thinking about new products again. After having my V for about 3 weeks, now I would say that for portable computing it is just about perfect. I can do productivity tasks well, I have not had many problems with notes, but will work on that, as I have only used it a few times, compared to my sp4, and the experience is pretty much identical. I think if we look forward, there seem to be a couple of ways we could improve the device, or create a radically different one. I have been watching the Expanse and their pocket communicators that have the virtual screens that change size as they need them, and seem to have computing power would be something to shoot for. The closest we would be able to get to with a V2 device is one that had world band LTE/5G support, and the ability make calls on the device. In the US that hasn’t been done yet, at least not well, fold-able displays are curious, but I am not sure yet if that is a possible implementation. I would really like to see if you could rotate the screen to portrait mode, which you can’t really do right now easily and still type.

It is good to exchange lively opinions.

I’m sorry there are many images.
Since I am old, I’ve been looking at the evolution of PC.From 8 Bit machine. MZ-1500, PC-8801MA, PC-9801VF2, PC-9821As …
(This is a model number only known to people in Japan, sorry)

About 35 years since Toshiba issued a laptop PC
MobilePC was trying various kinds of things.Like the Cambrian
There is no big evolution right now,Everyone seems to converge to the same shape.Since Apple has sold Newton, the shape of mobile is becoming a plate.This is boring.

I hope EVE Tech breaks this trend and creates something new. (I dislike the idea that instead of negating the shape of the plate, not think anything and want to make this shape for the time being)

Some of Old mobilePC I liked
I like Sony VAIO PCG-505 as “This is the SONY”
Removable speakers on both sides of the LCD

VAIO type U
I like this PC the most
This PC and Windows XP tablet edition were a good combination.
When microsoft advocated slate PC, various manufacturers sold the plate, but Sony sold this strange PC.
Sony did not use the EMR pen and dare use a pressure touch panel.Other manufacturers haved no touch function and can only be used with a special pen.

IBM PC 110 had a telephone function.
The appearance of calling with using this was very funny.

IBM ThinkPad 701C
This PC has a built-in folding keyboard.
When opening the LCD, the keyboard that is divided into two in the center in conjunction, spread like a bird’s feather.I wanted it. but I could not buy it becose price was high.

U ain’t old :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m 1975 :sunglasses:
So I reckon, we both seen a lot over the decades!
Next evolution of the PC is ARM.
It will be fun :smiley:

Unless you’re running some super old legacy application, I will assume that most software vendors will plan to compile an ARM64 version in addition to their x86 ones as Windows on ARM users and devices start to grow.

Microsoft is making it easy to do so “Developers can use Visual Studio 15.9 today to recompile apps – both UWP and C++ Win32 – to run natively on Windows 10 on ARM devices.” https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2018/11/15/official-support-for-windows-10-on-arm-development/#FWBrvfEy3BDquSTj.97

I believe that there is a bright future ahead for ARM especially as QC releases their 7nm 8cx 5W CPU this year which is supposed to be competitive with an Intel 15W class CPU.

Yes! I am older.Iam 1973 :sweat_smile:
I think continue to still be the world of Intel forever :unamused:

Good information! I haven’t been following the ARM development that closely, I just know that the devices that are on the market now received lukewarm reception.

It’ll be interesting to see what comes out of it!