The Big Update: Spectrum Unveiled!

@Konstantinos thanks for adding the 4K option, it will be a great buy, once released.

The 240hz for my main PC for gaming and work. The 4K will split the work between my V and my PS4 PRO. At the moment my PS4 is plug in a 32 inch 1080P samsung TV, so it will be an upgrade going 4K HDR.

Blur Busters indeed has offered help, including our publicly-available information for improved strobe engineering. Personally, I’m proud of what we’ve done since 2012 to improve blur reduction quality!

However, this currently doesn’t include the Logo yet – the rigorous (paid) quaity certification service and logo license of the Blur Busters Logo Certification Service. This may change at a future date.

Just want to clarify that help-vs-certification are different things offered by Blur Busters to display manufacturers.

8 Likes

Did they mention if the backlight strobing will be working up to 240hz? or will it be capped to 120hz or 144hz? If you know that is, I know you might also be under NDA

To my understanding, normally monitors ship with different overdrive “presets” which increase the voltage applied to the pixels. Adding more voltage allows them to change faster and reduce blur when the image on the screen changes, however, adding TOO much voltage at lower frequencies results in INVERSE ghosting or overshoot where the pixel changed pasted the intended color and creates artifacts in the image. With variable overdrive, the right amount of voltage is applied automatically and dynamically as the frame rates go up or down which results in less motion blur overall vs just having 1 overdrive option selected. It’s like adaptive sync but instead it’s syncing the right voltages for each range of frame rates :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m curious as to whether or not both of the 1440p panels will accept inputs at higher resolutions – for instance, a 4K signal coming from my PC/console. Seems like an odd question but I have specific use cases in some workflows where this is useful, but I know that some display controllers do not allow this to occur.

My current monitor is an Aorus AD27QD which does support this capability.

1 Like

Technically, there’s many reasons why a strobe Hz is capped, but fundamentally it’s not difficult to uncap the strobe range.

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=6081

Limits to strobe range are arbitrary quality decisions, sometimes as simple as 1-line source code changes. Flicker for too-low Hz, and crosstalk for too-high Hz. Strobe crosstalk worsens the closer to max Hz you strobe at. Strobe presets can make it easier to tune, reduce complaints by newbie strobe users, but very inflexible for end users.

For an open-collaboration monitor such as Spectrum, I’d highly recommend uncapping the strobe range to permit any refresh rate to be optionally strobed. Allow strobe all the way from 48Hz thru 240Hz at any custom Hz increments. It should be a user decision. Recommended strobe Hz should be published but users should also select the less-optimized strobe Hz too, e.g. flickery 60Hz strobe for emulators, or crosstalky 240Hz strobe for latency-critical esports, etc.

To mods – thanks for fixing the spambot – these posts are supposed to help the monitor

9 Likes

I’ve already committed to the 1440p240hz panel but I think I could convince a few more people to invest/prepurchase if there was indication from the engineering team that they’re either taking advantage of the information available from Blur Busters or working with them to make the Spectrum the best gaming panels on the market

I am part of a few communities that inform purchasing decisions and one monitor in particular is recommended a lot, the LG 27GL850, almost entirely because of its response time and motion blur handling. Another monitor that sees recommendation when people are looking for low motion blur is the Viewsonic Elite XG270, the same mentioned earlier as a Blur Busters-approved 240hz panel because of its ability to strobe with full frame BFI and zero motion blur/crosstalk at 120hz. The same mode in a 1440p panel would be first-to-market, most likely, and a pretty fantastic selling point when the product goes to retail! (Especially with a Blur Busters approved sticker :grinning:)

Edit: I’m not sure why @BlurBusters comments are getting flagged as inappropriate, the assistance offered is without financial consideration and is truly for the good of the product and the market, as are the people that have committed to purchase and are interested in their input. If it weren’t for the post about this monitor and this company on their site I wouldn’t have seen the product.

1 Like

Would it be possible to implement backlight strobing with variable refresh rate. fx the asus tuf vg27aq has the version of ultra low motion blur that syncs with the backlight and uses a variable brightness so that the persived brightness is the same.

i have also read that 240hz@1440p and 144hz@4k might be an issue for dp1.4, without using subsampling. is that true

and thanks for dope monitor, the design and specs are on point

1 Like

@A.Hassan I would imagine they’ll either use higher than DP 1.4 or implement DSC if needed.

1 Like

Hi there!

Pretty impressive specs! I’m really interested. But can you please comment the situation about IPS Glow and back light bleed? Will Spectrum be affected by those?

Feature question in regard to the 3840 x 2160 Ultra-HD up to 144Hz HDR600 IPS oxide panel.

Can this panel run at higher refresh rate if you lower the resolution?

For example if you lower the resolution to 1920x1080 can it then do 240Hz or more

If possible to do, this could be very interesting as a extreme high frequency frame rate FHD gaming mode for the UHD monitor.

1 Like

Interesting idea but no. The bandwith would technically allow that, but all other internals wouldn’t.

If you lower the resolution you don’t actually lower the amount of pixels in the panel and that is what is targeted and processed in the monitor itself. This means that regardless of the input signal, the monitor will always show all of the 4k pixels. The refresh rate of the panel is linked to the amount of pixels since it has to process the information and see what pixel should be what color.
Now, the resolution isn’t the only thing that changes the refresh rate. But the 4k screen is rated for 144Hz, you might be able to overclock it to a higher rate but i doubt 240Hz is in the range of possibilities.

4 Likes

Okey, thanks for your quick response but your answer triggered another maybe out of this world ide.

What i understand from your answer when running FHD on UHD panel then you could say that four UHD pixels is acting as one big FHD pixel in FHD mode BUT can then each of these four UHD pixels be controlled independently in FHD mode some how.

If one FHD pixel has four UHD sub pixels then in my mind this would open up for some extended color trickery. In FHD mode you have four UHD subpixel each with 8bit-FRC making up one larger FHD pixel then by controlling each 8bit+FRC UHD sub pixel independently you should artificially be able to create more colors for each FHD pixel in FHD mode.

Or is this just another one of my crazy ideas?

2 Likes

This goes out of my technical knowledge, so from here on I’m mostly speculating.

First: Is it possible to use 4 UHD ‘subpixels’ for a FHD display? Well yes, that’s what’s called integer scaling. Which is a planned feature that was announced in Feature update early October this would basically set all 4 subpixels to the exact same color value as the FHD so it would mimics a FHD screen as close as possible.
As for driving those independently, well yes that’s also possible. This is what scaling usually does, though not for the intention you said. but mostly to smooth out hard edges and make the quality of the shown image higher. Whether this results in an actual higher quality or not is another discussion.

As for broadening the color range by using the 4 subpixels… well no, that’s physics. It might help to think about it like stage lights. Those come in a variety of colors, let’s say you have a green and a blue color, this makes a cyan light. You can change the tone of the cyan by adjusting the brightness of the green and blue.
Now let’s say you gain another sets of lights, identical to the first. You can’t make a new cyan color. It will be brighter and you will more easily be able to get to all the colors in between blue and green, but it won’t make any colors the first 2 lights couldn’t.

Again: this is speculation, or an educated guess. I didn’t study for this so I might be wrong, if someone does know the answer I would be happy to hear! :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m new to the Eve community but the reasonable cost of the 4K 144hz panel caught my eye so have put down a deposit :slight_smile:

Some of the other high end 4K 144hz HDR screens on the market have active fan cooling required to operate. Will the spectrum be cooled like this or will it be passively cooled like a normal monitor?

Also can I ask what kind of OSD functionality you are planning?
For example will there be an FPS counter or anything like that?

1 Like

Is there a chance a 16:10 2560x1600 122.6 PPI monitor will be produced? 16:10 is better for content creation or programming, 16:9 is geared mainly for content consumption. Like this ThinkVision P24H but with 1600p instead of 1440p.

As mentioned before, all details can be found in the Pre-Order Agreement on the order page.

It’s still something we are looking into. We want to offer this feature, but we do not yet know what you will actually be able to tweak and change.

The problem there is that once you’re sorting out your guaranteed-perfect panels for the people who paid more, you’re left with the guaranteed-not-perfect panels for the people who don’t. We do not yet know what our exact policy will be towards pixel defects, but it will be revealed at a later date.

Still working on it, and more information will be available on this later.

They should all work together, our manufacturer has promised us. Now that we’re on to the electrical engineering stage, we should be able to start testing more and more of these features to ensure they meet our standards.

We’d love to! Their knowledge and advice is invaluable, but ultimately it’s up to BlurBusters to give us their seal of approval or not. And they’re, understandably, very picky about who gets it!

We’ve talked in the past about how to handle input resolutions lower than native, but I don’t think we’ve discussed input resolutions higher. Something to look into for sure, though I don’t expect it’ll be a limitation.

Our forum software was suspicious about a new user posting lots of external links to the same site, and marked them as spam. Now that the human moderators are awake again, everything is sorted :slight_smile:

We’ve gone into detail on the causes of IPS bleed back in June. Nobody wants bleed, of course, but there will always be a balance in QC between what is acceptable to keep the costs in check. We don’t have our QC policies detailed out yet, so more information on this will likely follow as production nears.

It is a crazy idea, but not a silly one. I guess more (perceived) colors could be shown through dithering… However, the rest of the electronics aren’t designed to handle higher color depth, and so it’s not possible – at least with our monitor.

There are no fans in Spectrum. I’ve seen a lot of fans of Spectrum, though!

More details about the OSD will follow at a later date. That said, I don’t think anyone’s mentioned an FPS counter yet, and that might be a cool thing to consider!

When we asked people what aspect ratio they wanted, 23% wanted 16:10 (and I was one of them!). That said, it is very hard to come by these panels, as manufacturers barely make any, and none of them offered the other specs and features that we were looking for. So maybe one day this will change, and some new Eve monitor down the line will have that extra 10% of vertical screen real estate… …but not this time around.

9 Likes

Very interesting product and congrats on surviving the manufacturing process so far !
I’m highly interested in the highest model with its nice pixel density and HDR600 promise.
A bit disappointed about the absence of some sort of local dimming. Yes 8 zones is obviously far from enough.

I’d be ready to pay up to $700 for a model with some local micro/mini leds to create at least 64 dimming zones. That would be a good start on a 27" panel.
Do you suppose you might evolve the specs before reaching Q4 ? It’s still many months away :wink:

It looks like other manufacturers will release high end gamer products with mini/micro leds to offer high quality local dimming, maybe by the end of the year.