The A10X from the iPad pro, what's up with intel?

So recently there have been benchmarks of the A10X processor from the new iPad pro. And what a processor it is.

It is a dual tri-core with a TDP of 8W. It has 3 efficient cores and 3 performance cores. The device can’t run the 6 of them but selects to either take the efficient or the performance ones based on whatever parameters. How does that compare to the intel i7 7Y75 aka the newest intel m7? Oh wait, let’s take it a step further. How does it compare to higher end intel dual cores?

1. A10X (8W): single core 3900; multi core 9000-9400
  2. i7 7Y75 (4,5-7W): single core 3500-4200; multi core 7000-8000 (with outliers to 8400)
  3. i7 7500U (15W): single core 4000-4500; multi core 8000-8700 (with outliers to 9400)
  4. i7 7660U (15W): single core 4600-4800; multi core 9000-9500 (with outliers to 9975)
  5. i7 7567U (28W): single core 4500-5000; multi core 9500-10200

So it seems like the A10X performs better than the mainstream dual cores from intel, is almost on par with the high end dual cores. So maybe if Eve makes another tablet formfactor, it could be possible to search for other CPU’s than the intel ones. Lower tdp with performance that is almost on par, and the word is on the internet that the A11 and A11X from apple will also be a big performance boost so it seems like intel’s promises on the 30% better performance for the upcoming 10nm cpu’s (I confuse cannon lake and coffee lake) will most likely not change the situation that much.

There is the matter of the A10X being ARM64 based, and the i7s being x86-64. If an app is available for both ARM and x86 architectures, the A10X is an amazing tool for the job. But most programs rely on instructions that are simply not available on ARM.

Don’t get me wrong – Apple is doing a great job building chips of late. But until I can run proper full-on Photoshop on an iPad Pro, I’d much rather have a relatively weaker, relatively less energy efficient Intel CPU…

So nearly the same with less cores and lower tdp. I don’t see where the arm Outperformed that Intel y. The difference you won’t notice, but the y Intel will be better at battery management through the lower tdp.

ARM is kinda out of the question.

The only real alternative for Intel is AMD. If AMD will have a SoC that will be good enough for Eve in the right timeframe, I’m sure they will look at it and decide.

Why? Who says the device has to run Windows?

ARM is evolving leaps and bounds with lots of headroom still to go whilst x86 has been stale for years now.

It doesn’t, but unless you want to run android on it there is no other real arm OS. Correct me if I am wrong, but Ubuntu and Firefox OS were canceled. On the classical architecture you could run Windows, Linux distribution, hackintosch and what else supports that one. And if you need it as a working device, most things are only available for Windows. The next problem would be that this market is dominated by oneplus and you could wait for them to make a tablet too I think. There is a reason why eve is called the oneplus in Windows devices (read that a view times).

~90% of customers with their legacy software, and that’s being generous of the “low” side. :wink: Like poster above me, there are few alternatives, and even less people are interested in.

To some extent - true. But before smartphones ARM was never really stressed and pushed j to high performance. The sudden jumps forward by high-end design are not that weird, considering that just ten years ago barely anyone thought about high end ARM in the first place.
Second thing: they do have Intel and AMD combined experience and example of what works and what is silly. It’s easier to learn from hard work of the others.
Third: X86 is just mature, with many of the low hanging fruit a already taken and eaten. The fact that we still get architectures like Zen of Whatever lake is just a result of ingenuity and amazing work by engineers.

Isn’t Microsoft working on Windows for ARM? Might be able to have the best of both worlds as long as Microsoft doesn’t make Windows ARM a Windows S clone (which they probably will).

Sorry guys, I did not know that x86 architecture was needed, I did only know about the x32 and the x64. Now I understand the program files x86 thingy. Found an article about intel and that emulating x86 architecture could give problems with patents.

@Hawk_Hunter The A10X has a TDP of 8w which is indeed 14% more then the 7W TDP up from the i7 7Y75 and it offers around the same single core score and a 15% improvement for multi core. Seems competitive, unless you take a look at the devices that scores the highest on the benchmarks. Macbook 10,1, the dell XPS 13 and HP pro X2. The macbook’s all displays an exact 1,4 GHz clock so I don’t trust that to be true. The XPS and HP both display around 1,6 GHz baseclock, which is in line with the TDP up clockspeed of 1,6 GHz. But upon further googling I found that Dell claims that they can push the i7 7Y75 to 9W TDP with dynamic power mode, so I don’t know if the TDP is really that different between the A10X and the i7 7Y75 in those tests. Also, that beating intel was not really meant on the i7 7Y75 but more focused on the 15W dual cores, since the A10X gets the same results in multithreaded tests as the i7 7660U which is the top of the line 15W dual core from intel. 15W is almost doubling the TDP and that for a not really significant extra performance.
About battery management: the chip has 3 lower clocked cores for when you don’t need performance, the performance cores only get activated when the performance is needed. But I give it to you that the difference between the i7 7Y75 and the A10X doesn’t seem worth it to get away from intel, let’s hope that intel achieves their promises on the next generations than the difference wouldn’t change much

I thought you meant that one because it’s in the V xD

There will most likely be a Windows 10S on ARM as well as Windows 10 Home and Pro on ARM

I highly doubt that Microsoft and Qualcomms army of lawyers overlooked possible patent infringements when they started working on Windows on ARM. Especially with the high profile lawsuits in the tech world the last years :wink:
I’m looking forward to Windows on ARM!

How many things on windows 10S would need x86? And about the windows 10 which would mean they should be able to emulate x86, about that Intel did release a statement that that could be a patent infringement so I think they should fight it out first before considering it. And than I would be wondering how good emulating x86 would be compare to intel’s x86