Tell us what you think about smartphones

Currently using my Essential PH-1
3 things I would never sacrifice in a phone.

1. Build quality - one thing I love about my Essential PH-1 is it is virtually indestructible, made of ultra premium looking and feeling materials and I have literally ran it over with a truck and it still works fine (typing on it right now).
  2. Battery Life - it must be a device that can last all day with heavy use , 2 days with mixed use, and multiple days on standby.
  3. Performance Specs - everyone knows that in today’s market everyone is going to compare specs and call out the competition on the things they’re missing, we also know that when it comes to designing tech products (phones especially) it’s about compromising to get a product that’s well rounded. What I mean when I say performance Specs is current generation or better tech packed inside. That goes for processors and cameras double!

3 things I could live without in a phone.

1. Size - it doesn’t need to be a giant phablet with a 10" screen, it needs to fit comfortably in my hand and my pocket the screen should still be large and with sharp clear images and colours (I’m thinking 4K OLED in the palm of my hand) and the screen to body ratio should be nearing :100:%
  2. Bloatware - it slows down phones and it’s completely unnecessary. Create a theme for the phone… Yes. Run a proprietary OS over top of say android… No. A pure android experience is the best imo. Fast snappy response from the OS and fast updates (usually within 24 hours of being released) are another reason I love my Essential PH-1.
  3. Wireless charging - do I like it… Yes. Do I want it in my phone… Yeah, who doesn’t want to eliminate as many cords as possible. Would I die if wasn’t there ? No, until I can charge my phone while it’s in my pocket while I’m walking around with it all day I don’t think it’s essential. That being said, I have always loved the idea of getting a phone that came with a charging dock that not only wirelessly charged my phone but also looked like a miniature art sculpture and held my phone so that I could actually glance at notifications or the time while it was sitting on my night stand.

The smartphone industry is plagued by the domineering forces of Apple and Samsung. People have accepted the fact that they will simply be locked in to one ecosystem of products or another. What breaks this cycle I feel is a truly compelling product. If you’re going to pay the premium smartphone price, then you should get a premium smartphone. That’s what I believe. And I think that the major companies are focusing so much on throwing bells and whistles into their phones so that they can make all kinds of claims against competitors to make people chose their phone over someone else’s that they’ve got so complicated that people literally don’t know half of the things their phone is capable of. I believe that EVE could be the solution to build an elegant, powerful, and simple phone that is an indestructible tank has a premium look and feel and is packed with goodies in a small form factor.

What do I want in a phone?
I want my Essential PH-1 with a monster processor and ton of RAM huge internal storage, like 1TB or at least expandable storage up to 1TB, it’s gotta be waterproof for undersea adventure, it’s should have wireless and wired fast charging with a battery that can last a whole day of constant use streaming video calls, 5G cellular, it should come with accessories like a sick wireless charging dock that looks awesome on it’s own while sitting on your night stand but even better when it’s holding your phone like your own personal alarm clock and notifications hub, a usb-C fast charging travel charger, a usb-C to 3.5mm jack that also has a usb-C charge port so you can finally be able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time, audiophile grade usb-C ear buds, a rear camera that has all the sensors and flashes to take photos like a pro with none of the hassle (have you seen this product this guy is kickstarting called Arsenal? The camera needs to be capable of doing that same kind of quick analysis and compose the optimal image with live preveiwing) the front camera should be just as good as the rear with all of the same camera functions of the rear one, the screen should be 4K OLED with a bright backlight and an edge to edge display, the graphics processor should be capable of playing next gen games at full 4K HDR @ 60 fps, an advanced fingerprint scanner on the back in an ergonomic position and just enough texture to feel it easily, an integrated kickstand to prop up the phone to watch videos on a flat surface, a hidden stylus that can be pulled out and used to write or draw, very loud very clear stereo speakers, the best ANC microphones for the clearest and best call quality, it should have options when it comes to colours not just boring black and white, an RGB EVE logo on the back that lights up different colours depending on what notifications you receive, could you throw in some antennas capable of picking up broadcast radio and tv over the airwaves ? And of course it’s gotta have all the other stuff we expect of a flagship smartphone that I’ve probably missed. Hell if you can do all that you could give it a huge pricetag and I’d be happy to pay it! Of course I’m going to be completely unreasonable and ask that you do all that and more fore a reasonable price… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I should like to know what you think about photo/ camera quality.

I too am using the Essential PH-1 and the camera app was bad at launch but I find it overall satisfactory now. I don’t take many photos but the quality when I do take one meets my needs but it won’t compete with the Pixel or iPhone.

1 Like
  • What smartphone are you using now?

OnePlus 5t

• What are the top 3 things you would never sacrifice on a smartphone?

Long battery life, fast charging, build quality (material)

• If you can choose to sacrifice 3 things on your smartphone to make it cheaper, what are they?

storage, display quality, sim card slot

• There are already so many brands with many great products in the industry, is there still a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to smartphones?

The Idea of the Essential Phone was pretty good in my opinion. Make a simple phone with great quality. And please just use stock android. Most (budget) android phones use an ugly skin which just makes the phone worse by for example delaying updates drastically.

• Describe the next smartphone you want to buy (it can already be on the market, or maybe you want Eve to make it)

My phone doesn’t need to have crazy features. Just do the fundamentals right and stay at a reasonable price. Currently, I’m thinking about buying an iPhone just because the apple watch is the best smartwatch in the market. All android smartwatches aren’t that great mostly to the fact that they try to look like a traditional watch and don’t accept being a smartwatch which makes using them harder. Precisely I’m talking about the round displays which make reading text way harder and make it harder for developers to create apps. I would love to see an Eve Smartwatch!

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy S10e

• Display quality
  • Fast and responsive user experience
  • Premium build and feel
  • Cameras (if I want any high quality photos I want to use my dedicated camera anyway)
  • Excessive spec increases for the sake of bigger numbers (e.g. 12 GB of RAM)
  • Custom manufacturer specific android skins (just use stock android and put the time and effort that would otherwise be spent making some shitty skin elsewhere)

Also, I have no real love of wireless charging

I think there is room for a product somewhere between the Fairphone, the Librem 5, and traditional mid/high-end smartphones. I love the idea of the Fairphone and Librem 5, in terms of their focus on modularity and repairability, privacy and user control, and sustainable and fairly sourced materials. In practice though, the compromises that they have in terms of specifications (SOCs from early 2014 in the case of the fairphone, cheap LCDs, plastic chassis) was too much for me to swallow.

• Moderately sized (~5.8 inch in 18:9 aspect ratio) AMOLED, minimal bezels but I do generally prefer no notch, so maybe something like the s8 in terms of front design

• Metal chassis with removable back (maybe option for different colours or glass/ceramic replacement backs for those who want wireless charging)

• Removable back allowing for access to replace parts, which would be available direct from the manufacturer at reasonable prices

• Flagship/near-flagship SOC (Snapdragon 700/800 series)

• Headphone jack with good quality output. I’d pay a few bucks more for a quality DAC and amp

• Largeish battery, preferably above ~3500 mah, although since I’m a relatively light user in terms of screen on time the 3100 mah battery in my s10e doesn’t bother me as much as I was afraid it might.

• Cameras… not really too fussed here. As I said I prefer to use dedicated cameras for any serious photography. That said I certainly wouldn’t complain about a good phone camera.

• NFC

• Extra niceties like an IR blaster

• Preferably it would run an open-source stripped-down linux derivative as the ‘main’ OS, with just basic apps (phone, secure messaging e.g. Signal, browser, email, music, camera). I think with under a dozen apps you could cover a lot of user’s needs, especially if like me they don’t mind using browsers rather than dedicated apps. Android is such a mess security wise, this seems like the only way to give the user security and decent control over their privacy. Plus it could be made very light-weight, responsive even on older stuff and battery efficient. Then there could be an option to run Android in a VM for any other apps/games, which would allow Androids access to device hardware and user info to be finely controlled.
    This might be a bit of a fringe request, and would require a lot of time and effort to pull off, so I would also be willing to use android as the main and only OS, but if I had the option I would prefer to avoid it. Who knows though, maybe you guys could collaborate with Librem or something :slight_smile:

Edit: Forgot to add that a >60 hz refresh rate screen would be amazing, but possibly not feasible from a cost perspective…

4 Likes

Honestly, it’s decent… the colour sensors for the front and back are good enough to take decent quality photos any time of day and low light shots are good too.!!! Where it really shines is the monochrome sensor,

the black and whites I’ve shot with it look spectacular! Problems I do find are that sometimes the camera software can be a little glitchy and sometimes I find it hard to get the camera to focus on what I want it to. For me it’s enough, like most people today I think I’m mostly using the camera to shoot stuff for instagram or Snapchat. I would like a better quality colour shot and more camera features but for the point and shoot of everyday it’s good. When I really want to get a dramatic professional look photo I switch it to black and white and everything this sensor picks up makes the shots look so good :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

What smartphone are you using now?
OnePlus 5T

What are the top 3 things you would never sacrifice on a smartphone?
Headphone Jack (!!!), a decent Camera, Android

If you can choose to sacrifice 3 things on your smartphone to make it cheaper, what are they?
4K Display/Resolution, Fingerprint Sensor/Face Unlock, too many cameras

There are already so many brands with many great products in the industry, is there still a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to smartphones?
Modularity of some kind, although all attempts have failed somehow :confused:

Describe the next smartphone you want to buy (it can already be on the market, or maybe you want Eve to make it)
I don’t have a particular Smartphone in mind right now, but the Huwawei P30 Pro is very appealing :smiley:

Best regards
Andi

what am I using now
Samsung Galaxy S9
top things I wouldn’t sacrifice
The OLED screen, audio jack, back fingerprint sensor.
what I would sacrifice
infinity edge, wireless charging (if for metal back), selfy camera.
unique innovations
metal unibody, built-in kickstand. connections on the back of the phone for “Mods”

my next phone would have good specs, not for Mobil gaming but longevity. be durable without a case, I’m willing to give up on wireless charging for a metal unibody, and have a 72 Hz OLED screen, and a battery that lasts 18+ hours with actual consistent use

1 Like
    -OnePlus 6t

-Battery, AMOLED display, camera

• If you can choose to sacrifice 3 things on your smartphone to make it cheaper, what are they?
    -Resolution/refresh rate, over 3gb ram, bezels/notch

• There are already so many brands with many great products in the industry, is there still a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to smartphones?
    -Honestly, I don’t think so. I think companies like OnePlus are already offer amazing phones for the price and it will be hard to compete with that, not to mention cheap phones from asia, etc. The market is already too competitive, Eve would waste resources trying to be competitive there. The Windows tablet market on the other hand is dominanted by over priced surface tablets and business tablets.

• Describe the next smartphone you want to buy (it can already be on the market, or maybe you want Eve to make it)
    -The next OnePlus phone. I’m very happy with the OnePlus 6T.

Sorry but without iOS no. I want A14 no notch, 120hz, Touch ID, Face ID, wireless charging OLED

Pocophone F1
    Battery life, performance, photography
    Backplate, display size and weight
    Community driven decisions like headphone jack & repairability. Also, stylus on budget a phone is at the time rare.
    I am quite happy with my phone, if I could I would add NFC, IR blaster better camera, stylus and removable battery.

Removable batteries have so much problems

iPhone 6s plus, waiting for iPhone 12
    iOS, iMessage screen quality
    Just give me it under 1000€ I won’t sacrifice anything, maybe fast charging
  • There are already so many brands with many great products in the industry, is there still a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring
    … maybe notch less.
  • Describe the next smartphone you want to buy (it can already be on the market, or maybe you want Eve to make.
    iPhone 12/13. I wish to have 3D Touch back and I am waiting for full sized no notch no hole no bump camera OLED iPhone. I will never sacrifice iOS and apple chips. Also waiting for Apple AR.

. I love apple products for OS. Also iPhones are reasonably price and have the best hardware. The is is main - security, no viruses, apps. But I HATE apple notebooks pricing. 16gb ram for… …400€ 6 times normal ram. But I am still thinking of buying new macbook. Why? Apple prices - sucks once. Windows OS - sucks every day. And you also need anti viruses for it. But for gaming I will have to use bootcamp but still.
Also my 6 s plus still have newest os, runs smooth. I can run PUBG mobile on highest details (did not play it for long but saying I can do it). Also I can play fortnite. (But not playing it) My friend had 1 year old mobile - no fortnite, low details.also it dropped like100 times and it is still ok

Caboose663

Why 4K? If you have got your phone 13cm near eyes and it is 7’ than ok but why? You do not want to see pixels, but for 25cm 6,7’ phone FHD is enough to make “retina effect”

Please, let me know what problems occur with removable batteries. Apart from making it harder to design the internals of the phone that is.

I had pried open my two previous phones and the battery was practically removable. The main problem was accessing it, and the fact most manufacturers glue them.
I am not a technician, however, in my mind the challenge is to design a phone that can be opened, compact and resistant at the same time.

2 Likes

Main problem is waterproofness. I think removable batteries are great in many cases but in phones… they are not as great. That video explains it. Also it is nearly impossible if not to make waterproof phone with removable battery without screws. Screws and rubber may be way of doing it but… also batteries this time are not durable, you would need extra package and so on…
But removable batteries for mouses and headsets are great by mi opinion

1 Like

IP68 and removable battery

1 Like

Hmmmm… I think ur right basically a beautiful display with “enough” pixels per inch will do. Maybe focus more on refresh rate instead?

1 Like
  1. What smartphone are you using now?
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, About to upgrade to a newer version of Razer phone if they release it.

2. What are the top 3 things you would never sacrifice on a smartphone?
    A. Performance
    B. Battery Life
    C. Screen Quality

3. If you can choose to sacrifice 3 things on your smartphone to make it cheaper, what are they?
    A. Dual SIM (must have global band support then and must maintain MicroSD Card)
    B. Headphone Jack: The world is moving away from it so we gotta embrace type C. Sad reality.
    C. Thickness: I don’t mind having having a thicker phone, it just needs to do what I want.

4. There are already so many brands with many great products in the industry, is there still a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to smartphones?

You could bring a solid industrial design to the table with high performance specs without falling into this gimmick of thinner than a sheet of paper and something that breaks within a year.

1. Describe the next smartphone you want to buy (it can already be on the market, or maybe you want Eve to make it)

I want to buy a smartphone that has the screen size of the Razer Phone, maybe a little bigger.
Dual front facing speakers (“Forehead” and “Chin”)
Dual USB Type C, one at the bottom and one on the side
Performance, I would like to be able to use it with the XBOX Game streaming and other ore demanding games (for a phone)
above 90hz refresh rate OLED
Battery life so that I could game for a 6 hrs or so and use it without charging otherwise for 2 days
Dolby Atmos or similar quality audio handling
Bluetooth 5.0 min (for the muli-pairing capability)
Qi Charging
Replaceable battery

I don’t mind paying a premium for quality built device that works. Also don’t worry about waterproofing it (splash proof is still nice) as long as we have the option to get a waterproof case.

1 Like

i want a phone that is thicker but has a lot more battery