Currently using my Essential PH-1
3 things I would never sacrifice in a phone.
- Build quality - one thing I love about my Essential PH-1 is it is virtually indestructible, made of ultra premium looking and feeling materials and I have literally ran it over with a truck and it still works fine (typing on it right now).
- Battery Life - it must be a device that can last all day with heavy use , 2 days with mixed use, and multiple days on standby.
- Performance Specs - everyone knows that in today’s market everyone is going to compare specs and call out the competition on the things they’re missing, we also know that when it comes to designing tech products (phones especially) it’s about compromising to get a product that’s well rounded. What I mean when I say performance Specs is current generation or better tech packed inside. That goes for processors and cameras double!
3 things I could live without in a phone.
- Size - it doesn’t need to be a giant phablet with a 10" screen, it needs to fit comfortably in my hand and my pocket the screen should still be large and with sharp clear images and colours (I’m thinking 4K OLED in the palm of my hand) and the screen to body ratio should be nearing %
- Bloatware - it slows down phones and it’s completely unnecessary. Create a theme for the phone… Yes. Run a proprietary OS over top of say android… No. A pure android experience is the best imo. Fast snappy response from the OS and fast updates (usually within 24 hours of being released) are another reason I love my Essential PH-1.
- Wireless charging - do I like it… Yes. Do I want it in my phone… Yeah, who doesn’t want to eliminate as many cords as possible. Would I die if wasn’t there ? No, until I can charge my phone while it’s in my pocket while I’m walking around with it all day I don’t think it’s essential. That being said, I have always loved the idea of getting a phone that came with a charging dock that not only wirelessly charged my phone but also looked like a miniature art sculpture and held my phone so that I could actually glance at notifications or the time while it was sitting on my night stand.
The smartphone industry is plagued by the domineering forces of Apple and Samsung. People have accepted the fact that they will simply be locked in to one ecosystem of products or another. What breaks this cycle I feel is a truly compelling product. If you’re going to pay the premium smartphone price, then you should get a premium smartphone. That’s what I believe. And I think that the major companies are focusing so much on throwing bells and whistles into their phones so that they can make all kinds of claims against competitors to make people chose their phone over someone else’s that they’ve got so complicated that people literally don’t know half of the things their phone is capable of. I believe that EVE could be the solution to build an elegant, powerful, and simple phone that is an indestructible tank has a premium look and feel and is packed with goodies in a small form factor.
What do I want in a phone?
I want my Essential PH-1 with a monster processor and ton of RAM huge internal storage, like 1TB or at least expandable storage up to 1TB, it’s gotta be waterproof for undersea adventure, it’s should have wireless and wired fast charging with a battery that can last a whole day of constant use streaming video calls, 5G cellular, it should come with accessories like a sick wireless charging dock that looks awesome on it’s own while sitting on your night stand but even better when it’s holding your phone like your own personal alarm clock and notifications hub, a usb-C fast charging travel charger, a usb-C to 3.5mm jack that also has a usb-C charge port so you can finally be able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time, audiophile grade usb-C ear buds, a rear camera that has all the sensors and flashes to take photos like a pro with none of the hassle (have you seen this product this guy is kickstarting called Arsenal? The camera needs to be capable of doing that same kind of quick analysis and compose the optimal image with live preveiwing) the front camera should be just as good as the rear with all of the same camera functions of the rear one, the screen should be 4K OLED with a bright backlight and an edge to edge display, the graphics processor should be capable of playing next gen games at full 4K HDR @ 60 fps, an advanced fingerprint scanner on the back in an ergonomic position and just enough texture to feel it easily, an integrated kickstand to prop up the phone to watch videos on a flat surface, a hidden stylus that can be pulled out and used to write or draw, very loud very clear stereo speakers, the best ANC microphones for the clearest and best call quality, it should have options when it comes to colours not just boring black and white, an RGB EVE logo on the back that lights up different colours depending on what notifications you receive, could you throw in some antennas capable of picking up broadcast radio and tv over the airwaves ? And of course it’s gotta have all the other stuff we expect of a flagship smartphone that I’ve probably missed. Hell if you can do all that you could give it a huge pricetag and I’d be happy to pay it! Of course I’m going to be completely unreasonable and ask that you do all that and more fore a reasonable price…