Tell us what you think about smartphones

So far we have already received over a thousand in-depth replies to our crowd development survey. Thank you all for your brilliant responses! We can’t wait to share the results with you, but in the meantime, we would like to ask additional questions about some of the product categories to better understand what makes them special to you.

We’ll be tackling these in a random order, so don’t be too disheartened if your category isn’t picked first: more of these topics will be popping up over time. The next product we want to know about: smartphones.

THE ULTIMATE SMARTPHONE

We want to better understand what your vision is of the perfect smartphone, and what we can do to make it a reality. We haven’t forgotten about the in-depth ideas that have already been shared in our What’s Next? category, but here are some high-level topics to get a fresh discussion going. Product categories selected for development will be discussed in substantially more depth!

So here are our questions for fans of good smartphones:

• What smartphone are you using now?
  • What are the top 3 things you would never sacrifice on a smartphone?
  • If you can choose to sacrifice 3 things on your smartphone to make it cheaper, what are they?
  • There are already so many brands with many great products in the industry, is there still a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to smartphones?
  • Describe the next smartphone you want to buy (it can already be on the market, or maybe you want Eve to make it)

Please let us know your thoughts!

Nokia 8 and Sony Xperia X
    Long battery life, good performance, display quality
  • If you can choose to sacrifice 3 things on your smartphone to make it cheaper, what are they?
    Case material, USB-C, dual SIM
  • There are already so many brands with many great products in the industry, is there still a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to smartphones?
    A modern Nokia Communicator-like device
  • Describe the next smartphone you want to buy (it can already be on the market, or maybe you want Eve to make it)
    I’m curious about the new Nokia 9 PureView and it’s camera performance. Nokia 9.1 with Snapdragon 855 might be a good fit for me - or Eve phone :heart_eyes:

[quote=“Konstantinos, post:1, topic:16906”]

Samsung Galaxy S7 Dual-SIM

Dual-SIM
NFC
QI charging
Battery

And other stuff, actually.

Performance… but not memory.

I wouldn’t bother competing in this market, to be honest. Innovations in this field are extremely expensive. Doing without it makes the phone just “one among thousands”. It won’t stand out.

When there will be decent foldable phones, I would buy one. Now they’re too thick and raw, due to them being the first “prototypes”.

An One Plus (I event don’t know the exact number) but I*m looking for a new one

Battery Life, Good Display, Headjack

Waterproof, Weight, NFC

Describe the next smartphone you want to buy

Small, blilliant dispay and good battery life with sdcard and jacket. I would like a smartphone with a more open hardware so I can replace battery etc. I have not found the ideal smart phone for me yet.

What smartphones are you using?

Samsung A5

What are the top 3 things you would never sacrifice on a smartphone?

Life battery, performance, camera

3 things you would sacrifice to make it cheaper?

Screen size

No need for the strongest cpu

Screen resolution

Something innovative?

I think innovative implies more cost, stay with a classic phone maybe? Small screen but great specs nonetheless.

Next smartphone? I like the nokia 9, but it’s a little bit too big, so I will wait to see if someone will release a smaller phone later this year.

Pixel 3

Stock Android, storage space, Project Fi support

Screen size, camera quality, speaker quality

Absolutely, most mid- to high-end smartphones these days are pretty much the same giant screened, thin devices that try to differentiate via crappy OEM skins and bloatware. There’s tons of opportunity for innovation for a company that is willing to take risks.

I want a phone that works the way I work.

I often use my phone outdoors. Make a screen that can be viewed in sunlight.
I sometimes use my phone in the rain. Make a device that is splash resistant.
My hands have not grown since 2005 but phones keep getting larger. Make a device that fits in my hand.
Even if it fits in my hand, I may occasionally drop it. Make a device that doesn’t shatter when dropped.
When I travel or go hiking, I spend less time near outlets. Make a device with a swappable battery or one that lasts days.
When I travel, I use my phone for navigation and communication. Make a phone that works on any network.
I don’t want to replace an $800 device every other year. Make a device that is affordable and lasts several years.

I basically want a modern version of the Nexus One. Screen size under 4 inches, but high DPI and able to be viewed in daylight, replaceable, large-capacity battery, metal or poly-carbonate back (not fragile glass), LED indicator light, 3.5mm headphone jack, USB C, 128GB or more storage (for my music library). Make it drop- and splash-resistant. I don’t care about speaker quality, I’m not watching movies on this thing. Average camera is fine, I’m not a photographer. Give it modern stock Android (no OEM skins or bloatware) and make it work with Project Fi. Either make it reasonably priced (under $400) or make it more expensive but designed to last 4 years. Make it black.

Honestly I would absolutely love a phone shaped like a deck of playing cards: small screen, rugged case, thick battery.

Nokia 7 plus
    Long battery life, good (not photographer level) camera, big display by low screen to body ratio
    Case material, front camera, loud speakers
    a 7" to 8" dual-boot (Android-Windows) device with a detachable swift-key touch-keyboard
    Nokia 9 because I just like the brand or Huawei Mate 20 X because of its size, if once available under 500€. If not, I want eve to make one for me

iPhone X

Battery life, screen quality, camera quality (and connectivity, but that’s a given) (Speaker quality/loudness will give you an edge)

No clue, i’m not an extreme heavy user. But when I use my phone it needs to work, and needs to work quick.

Maybe, but I can’t see it. Seems like One Plus already would be the most direct competitor. Though it might be a good boom to the community.

Low-light camera capability would be my top priority. Since that’s something you can actually differentiate on. Besides that I’d prefer a metal housing (loved my HTC One M7). But Wireless charging might offer more sales.

Galaxy Note edge ,Xiaomi Redmi Note 3Pro

1. long battery Llfe
  2. good visibility for outdoor
  3. High scratch resistance
  1. Screen notch and punch hole
  2. Computational performance
  3. Camera performance
  • Describe the next smartphone you want to buy

With hardware keyboard.Also add a stylus pen.
Now there are almost no makers who have attached keyboards to smart phones.

Only Samsung is attach a stylus pen.
I think there is a business chance.
(Although it is a niche market)

Smartphone, tablet, 2-in-1 Design must be unified with everything. I like EVE edgy design.

I want another point, compensation for damage.
The Galaxy note edge I am currently using has been replaced two times with breakage of the LCD.
If I pay $ 4 to the mobile operator every month, exchange costs $20.

What smartphone are you using now?

iPhone 6s

What are the top 3 things you would never sacrifice on a smartphone?

Nothing really. I used to have a list of things like no resistive touchscreen, no fixed focus camera, no smaller than 4", or no less than 250 ppi, but the “necessities” have been nailed today in most phones.

If you can choose to sacrifice 3 things on your smartphone to make it cheaper, what are they?

Fingerprint sensor, headphone jack, and most importantly, the Apple logo.

There are already so many brands with many great products in the industry, is there still a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to smartphones?

This is probably far-fetched, but I have this idea, and this is going to be super cool:

The world’s first non-Apple smartphone to run iOS

Here’s how: Find a damaged or refurb iPhone 6s, 7 or 8, take the mainboard and fingerprint sensor, and put it in a different chassis with the following features:

Basically you are building a better version of the iPhone than the iPhone, just like this company that sells re-painted iPhones

Or this company that converts MacBooks into tablets

The phone itself would still think its an iPhone 6s/7/8, so it will keep receiving iOS updates in the future, although I’d say it should ship with a jailbreak-able iOS version, which as of now, is 12.1.2 or lower. The users are then free to either update or jailbreak depending on their preference.

Describe the next smartphone you want to buy (it can already be on the market, or maybe you want Eve to make it)

iPhone SE-X, basically a small iPhone X

Google Pixel 2 XL

Good battery life, stereo speakers, OLED display

SoC (mid-range ones are more than enough), RAM (I don’t need 10GB), dual-SIM (don’t use it).

Absolutely. Everyone is a copy-cat. Don’t be. Make something with a bigger battery (4,000+ mAh) that’s removable, non-metal/glass back (plastic, carbon fibre, something that will stand up to drops), with a middle-of-the-road SoC that is nice and efficient, and has a headphone jack, microSD, and stereo speakers. It would be an absolutely wonderful media consumption phone. See something like the Moto Z Play. That was an excellent phone that Lenovo ruined. Give it stereo speakers, and speedy software updates, and you’re onto a winner.

See above. Everyone’s copying each other at the moment. This is an ideal time to stand out.

What's Next? Survey results are in!

My smartphone use is very limited. It is there to alert me about any messages/emails* etc pp I am receiving. Occasionally I will also read them on it but rarely. It is used mostly for contact purpose (telephone / sms / WA) for jobs etc.
(*oh and I would like the system works “right now”, gmail and android seem to have a problem now, in new versions of android gmail can alert about a new email sometimes only minutes or hours afterwards…)

I . do . N O T . like . ANDROID
(I do have an android phone LG, had one in the past, Samsung Centura.)
I would like Windows.

Now there is another thought… phone business seems to DIFFER much between for instance the USA and Europe… in Europe, plans are so much cheaper than here… adn it seems that the market is not quite the same here and there.

I live in the USA… and as my use of a cellphone is minimal, I use the provider Tracfone. Now, not all phones are compatible with Tracfone.
So, I would like that, IF V made a phone for my minimal use: it would be compatible with Tracfone hahaha. :relaxed::upside_down_face:

Other than that, battery is important… about 5" is sufficient - I don’t want a big thingy in my purse… :wink:

I’m on the similar boat, although I’d say there’s a writing in the wall for Windows phones already.

Hence my idea above, as iOS is really the only alternative.

There really isn’t any choice for an OEM these days, you have to use Android unless the ‘workaround’ above. Also this is why I think Android already has a monopoly, despite the existence of iOS, and therefore Android should be regulated like any other monopolistic market

here’s one of the many reasons why I do not like Android: it lasts 2 or most 3 years and then the OS becomes so obsolete that you can not use the browser anymore :(…

Well I have iOS and I own an iPhone lol, I prefer android way more and it’s the only real option in the first place

Maybe one day we will see true Linux based smartphones but as of right there’s still a long way to go.

Agreed, that’s going to happen anytime soon. Apple and Google are too entrenched in the industry. If Microsoft’s and Amazon’s $$$ can’t crack the market, no one will. Maybe there’s hope once PWA matured enough, but that’s not gonna happen anytime soon.

Regardless of preferences, making an iOS phone means your competition is basically just Apple. If one doesn’t like Apple’s design decision in one way or another (ahem, headphone jack), you are the obvious option.

If one doesn’t like the Samsung S10, there are 626496284 alternatives out there, and marketing plays a huge role at it. Count how many new Chinese brands show up (and disappear) everyday, and now count how many of those are actually making a decent amount of profit. As far as I know, only Samsung, Huawei, and BBK (Oppo, OnePlus, Vivo) are actually making profit off the hardware, all of which have the strongest marketing, and most importantly, massive conglomerates with deep pockets and government backing

While I agree the performance on high-end SoC can sometimes be overkill, there are some reasons why you might still want it:

• (most important) Efficiency and Battery Life Usually high-end SoC are built using the latest and greatest lithography, which as of today is 7nm. Meanwhile mid-end SoC are built using the cheaper, less efficient one. Missing out on the latest process/lithography is a huge deal in efficiency, we are looking at 25-50% improvement in power consumption. There is also the concept of “race-to-sleep” where finishing the same task in 1 second at 2 GHz and then sleep for 1 second, nets less power than limping along 1 GHz for 2 seconds.
  • Advanced Features Certain camera features (e.g dual camera) requires support from the ISP (Image Signal Processor), and this is usually exclusive to higher-end phones. Same with Hey Cortana / OK Google / Hey Siri wake word, it requires a specific support from the SoC
  • Newest standards Usually the latest standards such as 5G, WiFi 6, UFS, etc. is only supported on the latest SoC, which brings me to my next point…
  • Longevity Sure it might be overkill to have the most powerful phone today, but 3-4 years from now, the situation would be very different. Apps and websites are getting heavier all the time. Carriers, routers, and peripherals/accessories are adopting the latest standards, it would be great to be able to take advantage of the newest standards, or at least simply not be the “lowest common denominator”. That brings me to my last point…
  • Resale value 4-year old phones with low to mid-range SoC are dirt cheap for the reasons above.

I think that it is right to seek the best performance.
But, it will be white elephant for me.
Where to put cost is important.Home PC, mobile PC and mobile phone,I am thinking in total.

First of all, how to use my mobile phone.
SMS, mail, navigation, take notes, listening to music ,It is not needed high performance.It suffices if codec also support apt-x. Even better if support LDAC.

The important thing to me is want to take notes with pen input on a mobile phone.So now I have to choose Samsung Galaxy Note. I want a new option.

also,Since I use up until the end, I do not think of resale value.

currently using
Huawei P20 Pro

requirements to create an interesting device
There are hundrets of different smartphone models. There’s something for literally everyone. I don’t see a chance for EVE to create a device that is really superior in any discipline (camera, battery life, design, performance, screen,…) except of one: Operating system.
Built a smartphone with Android and Windows 10 ARM. But still here I have to say, if the camera is worse than on the P20 Pro I’d probably not buy it. And I fear EVE hasn’t the resources to put that much effort in hardware and software for such an excellent camera… But that’s only me :slight_smile: :confused:

Still a happy user of the lumia 950 (2 sim) :scream:, mostly because its excellent camera and a more than decent sound.
A new phone should have a good sound reproduction and the same or better quality camera.
A two sims option is obligatory too.