Tell us what you think about monitors

So far we have already received over a thousand in-depth replies to our crowd development survey. Thank you all for your brilliant responses! We can’t wait to share the results with you, but in the meantime we would like to ask additional questions about some of the product categories to better understand what makes them special to you.

We’ll be tackling these in a random order, so don’t be too disheartened if your category isn’t picked first: more of these topics will be popping up over time. The next product we want to know about: monitors.

THE ULTIMATE COMPUTER DISPLAY

We want to better understand what your vision is of the perfect monitor, and what can we do to make it a reality. We haven’t forgotten about the in-depth ideas that have already been shared in our What’s Next? category, but here are some high-level topics to get a fresh discussion going. Product categories selected for development will be discussed in substantially more depth!

Bit depth , HDR , Nits and adaptive sync… If you need a refresher on monitor terminology or want to have a taste of what kind of specifications and features apply when choosing a monitor, have a look at this article from Tom’s Hardware. Fans of mobile devices might not know that portable monitors are a thing that exists.

So here are our questions for fans of good monitors:

• Describe yourself as a user. What kind of activities (or software) do you use your monitor for?
  • What kind of monitor are you currently using, and why did you choose it?
  • If you were to get a new monitor, how would you prioritise the features and specifications? (resolution, refresh rate, size, panel type, ports, etc.)
  • What is a fair price point for the kind of monitor you’re looking for?
  • In your opinion, what is the best monitor available on the market today, and why is it the best?
  • Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?

Please let us know your thoughts!

At home I use 40" 4K Philips Monitor (Philips BDM4065UC) and 2 FHD Philips 27" Monitors ( left and right fom 40" ) :grinning:
40" have a lot inputs / plugs for connect other devices.
You can PIP or select other devices and use the full display
I conside to buy the new Philips BDM4350UC
a lot of ports

USB 3.0 Downstream-Port 4 x
VGA 1x
HDMI Type A 2 x
DisplayPort 2 x
HDMI Version 2.0
Klinke 3.5mm 1 x
The MultiView feature allows you to view up to four Full HD sources on a single screen. This can be done either in an image-in-picture (PbP) or an image-in-picture (PiP) arrangement.

I have a 32” LG 4K monitor.
What I want from a monitor?
It’s rather simple.
THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK.
And of course, the vesa mount.
:grimacing:
It cannot be more simple then that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What's Next? Survey results are in!

A 32“.
Thunderbolt hub.
Multiple ports connection beside the thunderbolt like hdmi display port.
MVA
Curved.
120hz more than enough.
Freesync2 since nvidia card is accepting it now, the last one is very important.

• Describe yourself as a user. What kind of activities (or software) do you use your monitor for?

I use my monitor for everything I need a screen for at home (excluding that bit of phone use of course). I barely use my V at home and for that little bit I do a touch monitor with pen input could replace it. Of course there’s an exception if I decide to do some work in the kitchen or something.
So I use my monitor for browsing the web, watching videos, gaming, video/photo editing, working, learning … I give up :smile:

Strictly speaking it’s not a monitor but a TV at the moment. A few years ago I had 2 very old monitors, both 1280*1024, about 20" I believe and with fading colors. I was more or less using them as extensions of my laptop screen, they were bad but they gave a bit more screen real estate. I decided I wanted a bigger screen and 4k was relatively new at the time. Looking around for 4k monitors there were some available but at a certain size the prices shot up to ridiculous heights (multiple thousands). So I decided to check out some TVs and I found one from Samsung with 40"(or 46?) 4k 60Hz via HDMI 2 and low enough input lag. Cost me about 600 Euros at the time, which was alot but still within reason. With its high resolution I can comfortably use it sitting at the desk and I can also watch stuff from the couch or bed on a big screen. It also allows me to view 4 FHD windows at the same time, which is great for multitasking and easy to position with the windows corner snap function. Normally my browser takes up the left half of the screen and I can see alot of content without scrolling around.

• If you were to get a new monitor, how would you prioritise the features and specifications? (resolution, refresh rate, size, panel type, ports, etc.)

I’ve said this before but one thing I would buy is the monitor part of the surface studio at a reasonable price. Meaning display with tilt, touch and pen input.
For a normal monitor my most important specs are resolution and size. Going below 4k in a desktop monitor nowadays makes no sense in my opinion. Power consumption isn’t a big issue at home and a high resolution is just much more pleasant to look at. Size I’m guessing is a very personal preference. I think most people want something around 27" or so. I’m all for big screens. Some people are a bit overwhelmed sitting at my desk quite close to a 40" screen but I love it, anything below 30" in a monitor is not interesting to me, except maybe if it’s tilt and touch, that might be awkward on a 40" screen :smile: . It’s also mounted to a wall so it doesn’t really take up any space (except that I can’t hang any posters there, but the rest of my walls are free of those too)
I’m not picky about refresh rates, 60Hz is fine for me. The more the merrier of course but at some point the return is barely noticeable while the price hike is immense. An OLED monitor would be awesome, but as far as I know burn-in is still an issue there. There should be a good selection of ports. Multiple HDMI and DP welcome. Sound out should be available, but speakers are unnecessary. Since we’re living in the time of video over USBC pack that in as well, maybe even thunderbolt. Having the monitor act as a USB dock to cleanly connect mouse and keyboard would be nice as well.
A VESA mounting option should be available. I don’t care much for curved, I don’t know if I’d really mind it but it gives no bonus for me and probably costs more. I don’t think input lag has to be mentioned, monitors don’t have that as an issue. I’d like decently good and accurate colors. And I think HDR would make sense nowadays as well.

Since I’m looking for a large screen with good quality I’d be willing to spend a bit on it too. somewhere around 500 would seem reasonable to me. 1000 is an absolutely strict barrier.

• In your opinion, what is the best monitor available on the market today, and why is it the best?

Hard for me to say, since I havn’t actively been looking for a monitor in a long time. But they’re probably still rare and insanely expensive.

• Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?

Either touch and pen input or just a good quality really large monitor that isn’t extremely overpriced. The first being the more interesting one I’d say.

Describe yourself as a user. What kind of activities (or software) do you use your monitor for?

I use it for gaming, coding, 3D CAD, photo/video editing, as well as basic stuff (browsing, office). It is connected to my desktop PC 90% of the time, a Raspberry Pi development board for my personal projects, and perhaps 1% of the time, my laptop.

What kind of monitor are you currently using, and why did you choose it?

TCL 40" 4K TV, I choose it because its relatively cheap compared to the screen real estate that it offers.

If you were to get a new monitor, how would you prioritise the features and specifications? (resolution, refresh rate, size, panel type, ports, etc.)

This priority:

1. Size should be 28"+ if possible
  2. Resolution proportional to size (ideally ~200 PPI, but no less than 100 PPI), so it would be 4K-8K on 40", or 1440p-5K on 28"
  3. Refresh Rate I’d love to have 100+ Hz. FreeSync/G-SYNC is a plus, but not necessary
  4. OLED if possible. Otherwise a contrast ratio of 1:1500+
  5. Touch screen would be awesome
  6. Input lag should be reasonable, this could be an issue on TVs. Its a non-issue for monitors.

What is a fair price point for the kind of monitor you’re looking for?

Under 500. If OLED, under 800.

In your opinion, what is the best monitor available on the market today, and why is it the best?

If money is no object, its the BFGD display. Its the combination of large size, high resolution, and high refresh rate.

Alternatively, I would go with an OLED TV. Its kind of a shame that most innovative features like OLED and HDR only comes to TV these days.

Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?

Simply bring the aforementioned TV’s technologies to the monitor market, then you are suddenly on the top 1% of the market, punching way above the average 1080p TN monitors that should have been in the museum 5 years ago.

This is also an interesting technology, basically its two LCD modules bonded together to maximize contrast ratio (double backlight blocking). Even with a “lowly” TN panels, you’d get something like 800 * 800 contrast ratio, or about 1:640.000 contrast ratio.

Another alternative is to use FALD (Full Array Local Dimming), but most FALD monitors are extremely expensive and extremely limited (less than 1000 zones, aka less than 0.001 megapixels)

What I would buy:

21:9 Aspect Ratio
3840 x 1600 Resolution (3440x1440 also okay)
34-39 inch
NOT CURVED
Vesa Mount
100Hz or more
Awesome awesome black values
AdobeRGB Color Quality
Freesync
As borderless as possible
HDMI, Display Port & Thunderbolt 3 port. (TB3 could also be in the front maybe?)

Everything I mentioned already exists on some displays, except that quite all of them are curved. I have a curved monitor in the office and I don’t really like it. Pricing should be similiar to comparison, so maybe something between 700-900 Dollars would be fair I think :slight_smile:

I especially dont want an USB Dock, or Audio or anything additionally on a Monitor. It never can be as good as some proprietary things. Splitting this stuff to extra gadgets that fit together would be great, because then I’d be able to only pay for the monitor features I want to use :slight_smile:
-> Idea: first product is the “naked” monitor. Second Product is a Monitor foot/mount where Audio and USB Dock is included, usable with VESA, so also interesting as standalone product / addition for other existing monitors? :slight_smile:

I’m curious and happy to see something happening again in this community.

Usually if those are added on a monitor, its because of a “why not” scenario, where the cost of said component is trivial. Similar to the rear camera on the V.

This is really interesting. Some LG and Samsung TV operates in a similar way, where the TV is just a “dumb panel” that’s driven by a “box” that takes HDMI input and whatnot

True, as long as adding those components doesn’t increase the price of the whole product they can be added.
But when a lot of people say something like “no, if there are speakers, they have to be great” than it would increase the price. Same for some USB 3.1 TB/Power Delivery/whatever Dock inside a monitor, which may be interesting for a lot of people. So splitting both needs is maybe simple and effective :slight_smile:

I’m a software developer by profession but am looking forward to retirement in a couple of years so am looking, apart from the usual day-to-day computing stuff, to support my hobbyist photography and musical composition with a superb monitor.

As a developer I firmly believe that you can’t have too high a resolution and I do like a big monitor. At home I have two BENQ monitors, one at 1680 x 1050 and one at 1920 x 1200. They were excellent value when I bought them but are pretty old now and I’m looking to replace them soonish. At work I have 3 Dell monitors - the main 27" one at 2560 x 1440 and the other two 24" at 1920 x 1200

I’ll be looking for a main 4k monitor, no smaller than 27", no larger than 32". I’d like a fairly good refresh rate but the main thing is picture quality and colour depth / accuracy. I would also VERY, VERY much like to be able to use it with an active pen as a tablet a la Surface Studio.

Not sure - I need to be able to afford it but the monitor I want won’t be particularly cheap.

Given my requirements it has to be that used on the Surface Studio 2

There are plenty of good monitors out there but I’m not aware of any stand alone monitor that can compete with the SS2

Hugh, this one comes too early for me right now :roll_eyes:
I will most likely need a new monitor soon-ish. However, the scenarios for its daily use are not fully clear yet and might change very soon, therefore I have put all my research on hold atm.
The size would probably depend on whether it shall be a single monitor (bigger) or two separate ones (a bit smaller). As I would use it/them for work AND gaming: a high refresh rate, low input lag.

I will keep an eye on this one though!

Monitor, yes please :slight_smile:

The most demanding. I’m a professional graphic designer so colors need to be as top notch as possible. Though I’m mostly in digital design, I do want to trend outwards to more print design as well. I also edit video/photo’s on the monitor, so true to life colors are really important, as is contrast. Calibrated at the factory is a plus, but not really needed since I’ll probably calibrate it myself anyway. More colors are always better (10 bit!)

Besides that, I also game on the monitor, with the all other side of requirements (high refresh rate, good input response, you know).

Don’t wanna talk about it Acer V223W old ass 1680x1050 resolution. Then, not bad, now CRAP) Oh and a macbook retina. Sometimes I’ll color correct at a colleague’s computer. Different screens.

I needs to have everything, if possible 21:9 aspect ratio and no curve, but i’m not entirely sure about the curve.
Also bright enough (400 nits should be enough) HDR really doesn’t matter to me, but HDR400 rated wouldn’t be a bad marketing point.

If you were to get a new monitor, how would you prioritise the features and specifications? (resolution, refresh rate, size, panel type, ports, etc.)
21:9, 1440p, 144Hz, 34", IPS, Don’t care about the ports, don’t care about the stand, will be VESA mounted anyway ( i require vesa)

I don’t think there is one…

Gigabyte Aorus ad27qd comes close, though it’s to gamery imo. And not 21:9

Don’t add to much and keep it simple and low price. If an ad27qd competitor came without all the bells and whistles for 100 bucks cheaper, i’d buy it in an instance, even though it also has some issues.
Maybe get LG to help out with some kind of display technology?

I do NOT want oled screen. It will burn in, and it will degrade (faster) over time.

Personal productivity, entertainment, gaming.

2x LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD IPS Monitor

Chosen for the good price/quality ratio.

1. VESA mountable
  2. resolution (must be 4k)
  3. refresh rate (must be decent for gaming)
  4. size (24 inch is my choice due to space constraints)
  5. ports (DP and HDMI of course. The more the better)
  6. embedded speakers
  7. USB ports

Up to 350/400 euro.

No idea.

Of course.

• 4 input ports (either HDMI or DP) with software feature to split the screen in quadrants between these ports or with a picture-in-picture mode would be an amazing feature. It would allow multi-monitor configurations on a single monitor or unconventional setups like displaying input from multiple sources. It would be a distinctive trait of the monitor, increasing its flexibility. Furthermore, the technology could then be licensed to other parties subsequently, providing a revenue stream even after the monitor project is concluded. This feature makes a lot of sense the bigger the monitor is.
  • a KVM switch in the monitor (coupled of course with USB ports also under the KVM) would be an amazing feature for enthusiasts having multiple PCs or for professionals that need to manage multiple workstations or servers.
  • if a KVM is too much, dedicated hardware buttons for the input sources would be an awesome feature: it takes too long to switch sources on basically every monitor.
  • a “smart” monitor with an embedded Android or even better an Atom+Windows configuration, accessible through an input port not physically available but embedded in the monitor (coupled with USB ports for keyboard and mouse, of course) would be another interesting feature as it would provide a standalone computational unit for simple tasks like viewing Netflix and the like, freeing us from having to turn on our PC in order to do something. The computation module can be made separate and sold as an accessory, mounting itself in the back of the monitor connecting through a dedicated connector (can be standard… but in a specific, dedicated position of course).
  • aside from VESA, mounting points to attach a Mini-PC on the back (along with the VESA mount) would be another nice feature, allowing us to attach our Mini-PC to it as well as the VESA mount.
  • touch support would be a nice addition, though not really a dealbreaker.
  • embedded webcam and microphone would be another nice addition.

Samsung TV’s used to have an “evolution kit” which is a chip you could stick in an dedicated part of the TV to upgrade it’s hardware performance. Maybe some inspiration from that?

It sounds more like a proprietary version of TV sticks (Fire TV, Roku, etc.).

Now I imagine if it has a tiny button (think the top button of the Surface Pen) to switch to specific input. Then you stick that tiny button to the Fire TV remote, another one to your PC, etc. so you can switch inputs basically as you grab each remote.

But I think this is more relevant for TV than monitor

It upgrades the ram and processor. It doesn’t add any hardware functionality’s

Hey gang!

• I’m a power user. I work and play using monitors and TVs of various kinds and sizes. On the other hand, at the end of day I want a good hardware, regardless of what I’m using it for.
  • At home I’m using LG IPS monitor that’s few years old. 27", 60Hz, 6bit panel with dithering. Basic stuff.
  • Looking for new monitor:
    Size! I think 27" is the perfect size, where both gaming, movies and work do well and where hardware is not insanely expensive
    Resolution: I think I’ll be here in the minority, but I’m perfectly fine with 1080p, instead of 1440. It’s much easier to drive and I enjoy the bigger size without any scaling.
    Refresh Rate: I want to have 144Hz+ panel.
    Bit depth and panel type: I want to go 8+ bits with IPS panel. That means I search for Nano IPS from LG. Having that said, my Dream Monitor need sRGB mode that actually works and is usable - monitors with wide color gamut often lack working sRGB option, which I guess would make this USP.
    – Ports: I don’t care that much. I can work with DP or HDMI. I do need the ability to drive the panel fully, though.
    Calibration: I would love if the monitor came factory calibrated.
    HDR: I don’t believe Windows has a good implementation of HDR, for whatever reason. For proper HDR we would also need local dimming (or OLED, which seems impossible), but that would increase the price to some ridiculous levels.
    Stand: I think it’s very important to make it just fade away. Ideally, it should be designed with space in mind. Latest Samsung efforts are a good example: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/3/18166817/samsung-space-monitor-flat-ces-2019
    I would go insane for this thing.
    Features: I don’t see many hardware features needed in a monitor except ones that are derived from basic, monitor-like elements. Ambient Light sensor could be useful. Menu buttons that will not go crazy after a month.
    Software: I could go for pixel-perfect scaling. Apart from that - I would enjoy simple, clear menu. Also: FreeSync!
  • Price: ideally: around 500 euro.
  • best monitor at the moment: in a world where money are no problem or just one I in theory would like the most? I… don’t really know. Every one I know has some problems.
  • USP from Eve: I deeply believe that having great but fair price with proper hardware is a good one - but I also think that having it open to community would make the monitor excellent. That’s why I would suggest going with two firmware copies, with one that’s user upgradable and editable. A monitor for hackers, where people can develop patches and custom settings to drive the hardware to it’s full potential. One, where user does not have to sent the monitor back to the manufacturer every time firmware update is needed to fix some weird error. One, where users can work together and find the solution.

What's Next? Survey results are in!

-Describe yourself as a user. What kind of activities (or software) do you use your monitor for?
I really don’t care about this one much currently. I have monitors. They work. Most of them still connect via VGA. I know there are plenty of options out there if I need something else. I don’t use them for anything except being a standard computer monitor.

-What kind of monitor are you currently using, and why did you choose it?
Don’t really know. It’s an older HP touchscreen. That’s about all I know. It was used/refurbed and cheap. I chose it because it was a touchscreen for cheap.

-If you were to get a new monitor, how would you prioritise the features and specifications? (resolution, refresh rate, size, panel type, ports, etc.)
I wouldn’t buy a new monitor unless I started to get into heavy photo/video work and mapping. Then I would be all about the color calibration. I like built in speakers to save on desk space. I’d go with a touch screen for mapping so i can use a pen. HDMI, VGA, 3.5mm audio, TB3.

-What is a fair price point for the kind of monitor you’re looking for?
I don’t really know. I haven’t priced out monitors in a long time. I hate spending more than $200 on a monitor but I know that probably is not realistic.

-In your opinion, what is the best monitor available on the market today, and why is it the best?
No idea.

-Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?
Better price point. Viewing angles are important, VESA mount, no power brick.

Affordable ($2-300) baseless 1080p, 144hz g-sync monitor will be great (I play fps games), HDR is an excellent upgrade

But NO glossy screen with anti-reflecting coating please, unless u fixed the V’s wearing coating. My V suffers from the scratches of coating, which make the glass looks… embarrassing as it looks damaged.

Minimalistic of stand save my desk’s space (no V or Y shape stand). Adjustable stand (vertically, and viewing angle) allows better fit for my use.

Moreover, for WARRENTY!!! list out the minimum dead spot to fulfill a replacement. NO light bleed around borders!!!

V have a back camera?.. Aww… Actually yes. Never seen it :joy:

I’m kidding. :rofl: