Tell us what you think about laptops

yeah yeah yeah :blush:

LAPTOPS:

Me as a user
IT guy, with skills in programming, administration, photo & video editing, music production. Gamer. I think I almost do everything one can do with a PC :sweat_smile:

Currently using
Only my M3 V and an ~ average gaming desktop system.

things I need a PC for
Music production and programming. There is no chance to do that proper on mobile devices. Lightweight editing and gaming is possible almost everywhere

experience with laptops
In general I like to have it as portable as possible, but still with awesome battery, display, sound… In Germany we say “Eierlegende Wollmilchsau” :sweat_smile: I had bad experiences with displays of HP, batteries of Acer,…

laptop I would currently buy
Either the Asus Zenbook Pro UX580 with the screenpad. I absolutely love the idea of the screenpad. But I heard a lot about quality and delivery problems on these models… I also like the Razer Gaming Laptops since they are very thin and lightweight but still very powerfull. But they always seem to have problems with heating…

laptop I would buy from EVE

• Display similar to the V Quality, with ~14 inch, touch, (75-100hz?)
  • Battery 80WH would be awesome
  • intel HQ processor options
  • 16 GB Ram, for some 32 would be interesting
  • no smaller SSD than 512GB
  • heavy cooling possibilities. Better be loud and cool than cutting the performance
  • RTX cards. 2060 or 2070
  • illuminated Keyboard
  • Screenpad would be awesome, but I don’t expect the effort of developing proper software for it is worth…
  • of course TB3/USB4
  • as thin as possible. Better increase the borders around the display than increasing thickness.
  • Proffessional sound card (everyone has 24/192, but proper ASIO drivers and powerful output, maybe also toslink, would be awesome)
  • USB C Charge… if it is enough for powering the HQ processors and graphics card…
  • A lot of ports just like in the V :slight_smile:
  • Fingerprint reader just like in the V
  • Bad cameras just like in the V :slight_smile: They are totally sufficient
  • outside material like the V, with same color or maybe some white color?
  • some cool feature would also be a Qi Charging pad next to the touchpad :smiley:

Price doesn’t matter when everything is fullfilled :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The laptop and 2 - in - 1 are segregated is difficult
If you make a laptop,Let’s be edgy character.

CPU: i9 9900k
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 (8 GB)
LCD: 17.3 inch 3,840 × 2, 160, Adobe RGB 100%
ram: 64 GB (DDR 4 - 2400)
SDD: 512 GB M.2 SSD × 2 (NVMe)
Weight: 4.4 kg
Battery life: 2.2 hours
Price:4100US$

Let’s make it higher performance than this:yum:

one more,
Let your PC be strong enough not to break even if stepping on an elephant:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I object to that. Not for the sake of color, but because anodization prevents corrosive effects. As there are use cases in “non-office” conditions, I feel if aluminium were to be used it should be anodized for the extra protection.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen corrosion on a Mac? What sort of corrosion occurs?

Aluminium and its alloys are relatively soft metals and hence can be easily dented, scraped and otherwise damaged.

Corrosion is the chemical reaction of a metal, in this case aluminium, with its environment, which (usually) leads to the deterioration of the properties of metals, aluminium in this case.

Aluminium is a very reactive metal, but it is also a passive metal. This contradictory nature is explainable because nascent aluminium reacts with oxygen or water and forms a coherent surface oxide which impedes further reaction of aluminium with the environment.

It is probably more accurate to talk about oxidation than corrosion with aluminium in atmospheric conditions. This naturally occurring thin aluminium oxide layer is harder than metallic aluminium itself.

Aluminium oxide is responsible for the resistance of metallic aluminium to weathering. Metallic aluminium is very reactive with atmospheric oxygen, and a thin passivation layer of aluminium oxide forms on any exposed aluminium surface.

This layer protects the metal from further oxidation. The thickness and properties of this oxide layer can be enhanced using a process called anodising, which makes the aluminium oxide layer thicker and more abrasion resistant.

Just to be clear. All aluminium products made by Apple are anodised (and not painted).
Early Macs were aluminium coloured as there was no dye used in the anodising process.

Pretty much categorically can be said: If it’s made of aluminium and it’s consumer electronics, then it’s anodised.

Anodised aluminium can be produced in almost any colour possible by introducing dyes into the anodising process.

This video is from 2011, but the manufacturing process is still the same.

3 Likes

Depending on the dye used for alumite, the color immediately falls, so you have to be careful. and as soon as they do not properly perform the sealing of anodic oxide coating, the color falls.
Dyes with high weathering resistance of red are very expensive.
Higher than gold of the same weight.
(Now Gold is also getting high and maybe red dyes cheap)
If Eve tech can print dyes in alumite by inkjet, can Eve tech receive orders in our favorite panel design?

It is also good from the viewpoint of dissipating heat because the thermal emissivity becomes high when alumite treatment is done.
There is a paint that increases the heat emissivity, but it does not fit in the pores of alumite.

What are your thoughts on magnesium?

It never felt right to me. The Surface Pro 3+ flexes and never felt as sturdy as aluminum devices. Also Microsoft, who has experimented with Magnesium many times, ended up with Aluminum on the Surface Laptop

1 Like

Large explosion in the water

Joking aside, and Sorry, I didn’t mean to go on so long.
I am not intimate knowledge of magnesium alloys, so it maybe wrong.

Magnesium alloy is easy to burn among other things.so I think that compatibility with lithium batteries is bad now.
There is a possibility that the processing company dislikes using magnesium alloy too.(Magnesium alloy dust easily burns)
I thinl that Magnesium alloys are not good for tablets and smart phones that do not have fans because thermal conductivity is also bad.
(Mg alloy:50-90w/mk,Al alloy:110-230w/mk)

LPSO type magnesium alloy has high weather resistance, not burn and high strength,
but I have never heard of commercialization talk.
If it is now, I think that aluminum alloy with balanced price, lightness, strength, weather resistance and thermal conductivity is a solid choice.
The advantage of magnesium is that it is light.and It can also be used for publicity.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I bought this because it is made of magnesium and advertised as being light.
The result was not better than bicycles made of aluminum or chrome molybdenum steel.:persevere:
IMG_0016_20120322222543

• I am a programmer, but I like drawing and 3d modelling.
  • I have ASUS N56VJ (i7 6??? 16Gb GTX450M) It’s freakin’ heavy. I usually take it with me to work along with Wacom Intuos 5 med, to be able draw whenever I have time. Or anywhere I’ll have time to draw. And, yes, I don’t use my V. It is barely usable with my PSD files. Or I need to reset it completely. My V is only capable of some gaming with gamepad, since I don’t have a working kb anymore.
  • Draw, model, browse internet, game.
  • WEIGHT! If it is heavier than 2.5 Kg (with adapter) then it is HEAVY1!! Keyboard feel (V had very sharp keykaps). Battery. Screen quality. And performance… Hell yeah! I like fingerprint unlock, even that silly that V have (it is really good when it works). But not integrated into power button! Or at least make it more interactive with LEDs to show it’s doing a thing (I hate when I touch V’s power button, and it is silent, then I press it, and it powers up just to turn itself down :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:). Keypad is essential. F buttons are first, then Fn (Hate V for that). LEDs for power I want to know it’s doing something! I like how ASUS did ROG Mothership with all hardware in a display part and kb is horizontal, improving heat management. It’s not very LAPtop, but if you’ll put it on your lap, the you won’t bake your balls with it, because all heat dissipation is behind the screen. Did I mention LEDs for indicating it’s wake up and working? Just put some dim ones on a side, so they would be in reach, but not visible from front or very dim ones.
  • I’d change it for ASUS Zephyrus (but it’s not cheeeeeaaap at all).
  • ASUS Zephyrus. Light and powerful. But if I’d be real, then MSI slim one of 2 years old, that will be near my laptop specs with newer parts (GTX 1060).
  • Many laptops have weak audio, horrible mic and webcam and or trashy keyboard. These are to have a lot of attention. Aluminum chassis is a nice solution, even if it’s not light, it is a good heat sink. No matter what others tell.
2 Likes
  • Describe yourself as a user. Where do you use your laptop, and for what?

I’m a student in my final year of my masters in bioinformatics. I code, write reports, watch youtube or take notes during class. When I’m travelling I watch movies.

• What laptop are you now primarily using? Did you choose it yourself or was it provided by someone else?

I own a Eve V m3 which I use as my main computer. For me its perfect since its ultra mobil but can be placed in a desktop environment by connecting just one cable.

• What kind of things will you only do on laptop, but not on a tablet or smartphone?

Working productivly. In an environment where I don’t have access to a desk its not that easy. Good lapability is the main feature I miss.

• What affects your personal experience with a laptop the most? (e.g. display size or quality, battery life, size and weight, connectivity, performance, etc.)

A good touchpad is a great pleasure, together with good keyboard. Also silent, nice design and not too heavy. I’m still afan of the old MacBook Air.

• If you can change one thing about your current laptop, what would it be?

Mostly I miss a keyboard to dock the V, adding lapability.

• If you were to buy a new laptop today, which one would you choose and why?

Currently there is no laptop that adds any major improvements for me.

• What do you think are the common shortcomings for laptops currently on the market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to the laptop market?

A surface book type laptop with thunderbolt 3 and a prettier design of the hinge. Also the tablet needs a kickstand on its own so it can be placed as a second screen without the keyboard using all the space on the desk.

1 Like

-Describe yourself as a user. Where do you use your laptop, and for what?
I use laptops as mobile desktops. I work in a Windows domain doing network admin and operations management, am always running too many browser tabs and also edit video on occasion. I’m on the go a lot which includes being outdoors and in the field…working at a ski area and in the forest doing trail work or just recreating.

-What laptop are you now primarily using? Did you choose it yourself or was it provided by someone else?
My V is my primary device currently but I was using a Macbook Pro prior to that and still do when I need more power. I chose both.

-What kind of things will you only do on laptop, but not on a tablet or smartphone?
Video and photo editing (beyond quick clip work), detailed GPS mapping, type longs emails and forum responses, heavy spreadsheet work, in depth network setup.

-What affects your personal experience with a laptop the most? (e.g. display size or quality, battery life, size and weight, connectivity, performance, etc.)
Short battery life makes things really difficult, display needs to be viewable in sunlight, needs to be tough and spill resistant, at least 16GB RAM, I prefer having an RJ45 jack, CPU needs to be fairly powerful (i7 V is a bit short in the CPU dept for heavy video work. My mid 2012 MBP does better), 13" is as big as I want, weight isn’t a big deal, need a damn good touchpad, good port selection.

-If you can change one thing about your current laptop, what would it be?
V (I know it’s not really a laptop :slight_smile:)- Lapability, RJ45 port, CAPS and charging indicators

-If you were to buy a new laptop today, which one would you choose and why?
No idea. Probably a Macbook Pro because the touchpad is amazing and I can always install Windows on a VM.

-What do you think are the common shortcomings for laptops currently on the market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to the laptop market?
Prices are ridiculous…just getting that out of the way. I think that the biggest shortcoming is the lack of serviceability and the drive to produce increasingly thinner/lighter devices. We’ve traded away the ability to get better battery life, better performance, better cooling, better prices, upgrade-ability, etc. Eve can bring back user serviceability, replaceable battery, ability to add more RAM as needed. Use a touchpad that’s on par with Apple’s. Sell at a price that undercuts everyone. LTE capability. Hackintoshable.

2 Likes

This is something that really bothers me with the V. I’d love if a possible for a possible V2 to have a detachable keyboard like the Surface Book. Make the connector USB-C to the keyboard USB-C, maybe even Thunderbolt to allow for some nice docks where you only have to slide the device in (no fiddling with cables).

Keep the kickstand and all essential hardware in the tablet part, even keep the kickstand to allow it to be used completely without the keyboard.

Maybe have the keyboard store a small pen like some Thinkpad have. [1] [2]

And obviously keep a second Bluetooth chip on the keyboard to allow it to connect wirelessly like with the current V keyboard. (Honestly one of the best features of the V)

TL;DR: Give the V2 a keyboard with hinge like the Surface Book but still allow for the tablet part to used completely one its own.

1 Like

Also on a side note:

Depending on how long the design process will take, we might wanna think about including USB4, which depending on when the standard gets released and the first processors start showing up might give us the freedom to also consider AMD as an option for the CPU without having to sacrifice Thunderbolt3.

1 Like
4 Likes
  • Describe yourself as a user. Where do you use your laptop, and for what?

I am an undergraduate student. I use my laptop mainly for note taking, document and photo editing. I use it at home or at the Uni.

• What laptop are you now primarily using? Did you choose it yourself or was it provided by someone else?

Surface Pro 6. My personal choice.

• What kind of things will you only do on laptop, but not on a tablet or smartphone?

Note taking and document editing because I prefer a full-size physical keyboard.

• What affects your personal experience with a laptop the most? (e.g. display size or quality, battery life, size and weight, connectivity, performance, etc.)

Battery life. It’s really frustrating that when you need your laptop working for you, it doesn’t wake up. I consider buying a new laptop only when the battery is exhausted and the replacement cost of the battery is too high.

• If you can change one thing about your current laptop, what would it be?

Battery life.

• If you were to buy a new laptop today, which one would you choose and why?

Eve V. It’s because of its friendly price tag. It lasts a whole day with great performance.

• What do you think are the common shortcomings for laptops currently on the market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to the laptop market?

The prices and battery life are not ideal. Eve could make a laptop that can last for a day and price it reasonably. That’s all I need and Eve V is on the right track.