Tell us what you think about laptops

So far we have already received over a thousand in-depth replies to our crowd development survey. Thank you all for your brilliant responses! We can’t wait to share the results with you, but in the meantime we would like to ask additional questions about some of the product categories to better understand what makes them special to you.

We’ll be tackling these in a random order, so don’t be too disheartened if your category isn’t picked first: more of these topics will be popping up over time. The next product we want to know about: laptops.

THE ULTIMATE LAPTOP

We want to better understand what your vision is of the perfect laptop, and what can we do to make it a reality. We haven’t forgotten about the in-depth ideas that have already been shared in our What’s Next? category, but here are some high-level topics to get a fresh discussion going. Product categories selected for development will be discussed in substantially more depth!

So here are our questions for fans of good laptops:

• Describe yourself as a user. Where do you use your laptop, and for what?
  • What laptop are you now primarily using? Did you choose it yourself or was it provided by someone else?
  • What kind of things will you only do on laptop, but not on a tablet or smartphone?
  • What affects your personal experience with a laptop the most? (e.g. display size or quality, battery life, size and weight, connectivity, performance, etc.)
  • If you can change one thing about your current laptop, what would it be?
  • If you were to buy a new laptop today, which one would you choose and why?
  • What do you think are the common shortcomings for laptops currently on the market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to the laptop market?

Please let us know your thoughts!

1. I use laptop for all my personal work also which includes Programming work form Data Analysis to training of models. Apart of this I use laptop for web surfing but with at least 2 browsers opened totaling of at max upto 70 to 80 tabs together.
  2. Primarily I am using an old Lenovo Ideapad Z580 along with Surface Pro 6 and a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
  3. Foremost is analysis and coding work. And the most important one I will say browsing and content watching as for me tablet or smartphone are not just suitable.
  4. My personal experience is most affected by a display quality along with a great keyboard.
  5. Performance it just isn’t powerful enough to take workload.
  6. I would go for the Porsche Design Book one because the specs are best I can demand with great design and at current discounted price. As not available now I will go for a Surface Book or new Huawei Matebook X Pro.
  7. I think a device like Surface Book with great connectivity and a more thought out price will be the one that if achievable will be really great.

I use a MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2012 for the standard profesional media dude stuff (design, code, edit, etc).

Basically everything. I don’t own a tablet, though I might use an iPad pro or eve V if I had one. And my phone is only for communication.

Display size, connectivity, performance. But most importantly; the keyboard and touchpad. I love those on my macbook. Hate the keyboard on the new macbooks. Absolutely hate it. weight, don’t make it to heavy. do make it study.

a usb port or 2 more would be nice. bigger trackpad, better cooling (this thing can get hot under the fingers) or make the heated area somewhere else.

Macbook, i need macOS. I also like the keyboard layout and love the trackpad. Hate the touchbar tho.

As I am tied to at least one macOS device due to my program requirements. I need it on the road quite often, and I dislike AiO’s a macbook is the only one I look at honestly. So… No clue? Don’t go gimmicky tho (touchpad screen is so useless, as is touchpad numpad).

Or Eve could partner up with Hackintosh developers in choosing the right hardware. It won’t ship with macOS for legal reasons, but we could make it as seamless as possible to install one.

Uuuuuuh…
This is a tough one!
In the VAST sea of laptops and laptop manufacturers, it’s quite hard to choose which one is the best…
And what could Eve do in that sea of similar products?
Asus made something different with that “reverse” type laptop where everything is behind the display and thus, the cooling is better… Heck, they even made a touchscreen touchpad model!
Not to mention all the other things from others…
It would be really hard for Eve to make something like a laptop when you have in mind the current reputation it has currently in the market…
But if it does and in my opinion it should, then
I personally don’t think that Eve should take a big risk in the current situation with something over the top and in my humble opinion,
Eve should make the following:
A low cost, highest quality possible laptop that targets students.
Something thin and light. No extravaganca.
13” or/and 15” display with touch/pen input.
It should be foldable 360 degrees so it can be held in one hand for writing on it.
A fan LESS, low power consumption yet powerful enough, “budget” model with a usb type A and C port, headphone jack, card reader slot, MagSafe type charging port and a 1080p display.
A model that has the most available parts for low price so that the budget can be oriented towards design and housing.
The laptop housing HAS to be made of premium materials like aluminum even on keyboard (waterproof!!!) and it has to be sturdy. It mustn’t flex or bend, it’s for students and the majority doesn’t take good care of things so it has to be durable. Also, it will bring the overall feeling of quality.
This laptop has to be easy to produce. Read cheap.
But it’s job and purpose will be to bring the Eve reputation back on track.
Also, why students targeted consumers group:

1. Parents buy it and they will like to spend less and if students buy, they buy cheap. Well, most of them.
  2. Students who bought it will tend to replace it in time with another Eve.
  3. They will pass it on to family or friends who will get familiar with the product and tend eventually to buy a new Eve product.
  4. Students are the most active ones in social media and if the product is good, the mouth to mouth reputation that Eve will get is immense.
  5. They will eventually all get a job and buy more expensive Eve product that will, hopefully, be developed over time if all goes well.
    Thinking long run there…
    Also, if Eve has the budget, it should make also a fan model with higher specifications and a thunderbolt port as well. Maybe 2K/4K display with touch/pen input as well.
    Eve V successor must be made as well.
    The best path and niche for Eve to get back on track with the lowest possible risk of failure is a laptop and upgraded V.
    Again, with Eve benefit in mind, this is just my humble opinion :innocent:

P. S.
It has to be “HACKINTOSHABLE” hardware :wink:
It’s illegal for Eve to install OSX on it but “people” do that :grimacing:

EDIT:
If possible, LTE capability.
Also, a prototype ARM version ready for possible production.
Just to be ready to jump aboard the future lane :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses:

Haven’t read into hackingtosh lately, but I need reliably updates. I cannot really afford to have computer issues on OS level and not be able to use macOS for a couple of days.

Then again, if there are no further downsides I wouldn’t mind it tbh

• Describe yourself as a user. Where do you use your laptop, and for what?

Well I bought a new laptop one month ago as my old one died.
Nowadays I use my laptop mostly stationary as I recieved a eve :wink:
But during my study time I used it nearly everywhere (within university, within a train, etc)

• What laptop are you now primarily using? Did you choose it yourself or was it provided by someone else?

I’m using a gaming laptop. Why? Just becuase they have more power then multi media notebooks. I provided my notebook by myself.

• What kind of things will you only do on laptop, but not on a tablet or smartphone?

nearly everything where I need to write text or read something longer then a twitter post.
Of course a mobile phone could be used to read a longer text but for me reading on a mobile phone is less comforable then reading on a computer. And when I need to write a answere nothing bets a computer.

• What affects your personal experience with a laptop the most? (e.g. display size or quality, battery life, size and weight, connectivity, performance, etc.)

Performance, battery life and size / weight.
I want something with more then 4 hours (8 for a more mobile one like Eve) with enought power to do nearly everything and no bigger then 15".

• If you can change one thing about your current laptop, what would it be?

In the past I used a barebone device where I could change nearly everything. But nowadays they are useless as even the CPUs are sold to the motherboard. So maybe battery life? but just adding a bigger battery like within the past is much better then nowadays.

• If you were to buy a new laptop today, which one would you choose and why?

Some weeks a ago I bought a HP Omen notebook. Why? Good question. The specs looked good and I haven’t head a hp before so yet no bad experience :wink:

• What do you think are the common shortcomings for laptops currently on the market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to the laptop market?

maybre reanimate the customizeable barebone market. But the differences between a notebook and the Eve V are minimal. Of course we could have more power but…

I was never happy my laptop, and the V has now replaced it. So I think you’re already in this space with an excellent product.

Plain and simple. I dislike the Dell Precision 7510. It’s way too f*n HEAVY on it’s own, with a power supply the size of the small brick, fan is louder than the speakers. I love my V, but want it in a 15" super thin laptop, capable of 64GB RAM, with an 8-core processor, and better SPEAKERS. If it had to be laptop, then it would have to be a 2-in-1 with a hinge/watchband(see Lenovo) that turns it into a tablet.

Now for the deets:

1. Power User, Network Engineer, DIY Maker. I use my work work supplied laptop for work. I usually have 4 VMware Workstation VM’s running at any given time. It has a nice touch capable screen, but I would kill for a PEN capable screen. I also use it for CAD applications and other applications that the V doesn’t handle well.
  2. Dell Precision 7510, 32GB RAM, Itel I7 vPro 4 core, and a 16GB, 1TB V.
  3. VMWare and CAD. I would do them both on V, if it only had more memory and cores.
  4. Size and weight.
  5. Size and weight.
  6. Something like this: ThinkPad X1 Extreme
  7. MORE POWER, lower price!!!

I USED to be Laptop user. I use it for a lot of purpose, media consumption, office works, gaming, everything desktop can do since at that time I have no rooms to place the desktop PC.

It’s a free laptop from business.

I will use laptop only when I want to play games (Like Anthem) which will need better processor (+better GPU) that not throttle down like other form of portable computer. Battery is also the main factor since normally laptops got bigger batteries. Also, keyboards is a lot nicer to use than convertible, tablet and smartphone.

I would love to have the following things for such above experiences;

1. Biggest possible screen size. (Frameless if possible.)
  2. Better Response time. (+Better Refresh Rate.)
  3. Battery Life: 10 Hours+, While gaming 5-6 Hours+ would be great.
  4. Size: about Razor Blade Stealth. (Or smaller.)
  5. Weight: Less than 2 Kgs. would be good for transportation.
  6. Connectivity: LAN, WiFi, 4G or 5G and Bluetooth.
  7. Ports: 2 Thunderbolts (USB-C) ports, 3-4 USB-C ports in total. SD Card Slot. Headphone Jack slot. Microphone Slot.
  8. Gaming Performance should be about the full size PC. (70-80%)

I would change current laptop to be like Alienware that we can upgrade the GPU, CPU and other ports module later.

I would love to buy Alienware, which I state above that we can upgrade later. (Even CPU is Desktop grade, not Laptop grade)

Laptop market in my opinion is that they lack customization or upgradability like the one I mentioned above. However, the one that can is very expensive.

I’m a dreamer. If eve can make the above laptop, I will snap that in a heartbeat.

:grin:

Or they choose hackintosh friendly hardware, then again I don’t think Intel CPUs past the 6th Gen. are supported, so waiting for zen2 would be a reasonable choice.

Zen 2 (7nm) is not coming to mobile anytime soon. They also mentioned the iGPU-equipped desktop version will be delayed compared to the non-iGPU version. Meanwhile, I don’t see why 7th gen or later would be an issue, since Macs have basically every generation of Intel Core CPU

I use a laptop exclusively for work (software development). My ideal laptop would be almost exactly like the 13.5-inch Microsoft Surface Book 2 with the highest specs, except black, with a normal hinge that closes flat, and $1000 cheaper.

What kind of things will you only do on laptop, but not on a tablet or smartphone?

Using it on the lap with heavy typing, by far no other form factor comes close

What affects your personal experience with a laptop the most? (e.g. display size or quality, battery life, size and weight, connectivity, performance, etc.)

• Display: Minimum 200 PPI, ideally 250. Preferably 14"+ 3:2
  • Input: Touchscreen and Precision Touchpad, ideally pen input
  • Battery life: Minimum 8 hours
  • Connectivity: At least 1 port for each USB-C and USB-A, ideally 2 ports each, plus HDMI
  • Graphics: Ideally Nvidia 1050 or higher

If you were to buy a new laptop today, which one would you choose and why?

If money is no object, Surface Book 2 15". It fulfills nearly all the criteria above.

What do you think are the common shortcomings for laptops currently on the market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to the laptop market?

I haven’t seen a (2-in-1) laptop with 95+ Wh battery, pen input, and powerful graphics all in one package.

I just bought (well, a year ago, already? :open_mouth: ) a Dell XPS 7595 and am happy with it except: see below :slight_smile:

* What kind of things will you only do on laptop, but not on a tablet or smartphone?
browsing the internet in the morning, writing emails…

* What affects your personal experience with a laptop the most?
screen size I guess… performance…

* If you can change one thing about your current laptop, what would it be?
Definitely change the ratio!!! to 3x4…. This Dell is 15" and its height is as small as that of my old Thinkpad, which was 14"…

* What do you think are the common shortcomings for laptops currently on the market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to the laptop market?

a replaceable battery? Would that be too much to ask for?

Also, I bought the Dell because it had an active pen… as I am drawing on the laptop, too, not only on the V (V is mostly for outside…), I know it’s not innovative but a must-have for me now :slight_smile:

Iirc there is a limit on the battery size since larger then 90Wh is illegal to bring with you on a plane. Not entirely sure about the details tho.

I got my girlfriend the aero 15 with a 1060 inside. All the reviews raved about how this is the maximum allowed battery capacity.

Maximum is 100 Wh. Dell XPS 15 and some other laptops do have 97 Wh.

Writing this on a Surface Book 2 i7 13.5", it’s a great laptop/tablet. I love the 3K screen and the 3:2 aspect ratio, I find it to be a perfect blend since I saw the Surface Laptop 2 is slightly grainy even at 2k.

I do find that I agree with Microsoft, that 70% of the time I use it as a laptop and 30% tablet (mostly studio mode, since I’m afraid I’ll drop/scratch my $3000 machine & battery not that good). I would use it more as a laptop if Microsoft would add-in like 5-10 degree more angle. (more than the 130 max angle, e.g. 135-140). Although it would really tax the Fulcrum hinge, since at maximum you could feel the weight unevens.

This however isn’t a problem with 15" Surface Book 2 (which my brother has as a desktop replacement). Screen is large/tall enough that it doesn’t need an extra angle to view it from lap/desk. Which is a case I want to point out:

• I actually prefer to have a slight laptop chin (1.5 cm) so that it has a better/taller viewing angle. That or either the Matebook X Pro’s 14" 3:2 screen, because it actually is the perfect screen size between portability and real estate.
  • If someone made a slightly lighter Surface Book 14-14.5" at 1.2-1.4kg it’ll be great.

Mostly I agree on what @Patrick_Hermawan posted.

I feel that 1.6kg on my SB2 is carriable (e.g. transferring it, holding it on bag), but not one hand-operable (e.g. writing while carrying with it in Studio Mode or holding the laptop on air on one hand/typing with the other).

Well, that position is not for workstation laptops, lol. But it is a very good example, IMHO, of what an ultrabook should be capable of and feels like. I mostly find anything under 1.25 kg (e.g Surface Laptop 2), one hand operable, kudos if it can go to 1.1kg (it actually feels different).

The closest thing, currently… that I find astonishing is the LG Gram 14" 2-in-1 (at 1.13 kg @72wh/1080p).

If only they made that 3:2 aspect ratio, and at 2k-3k resolution (200 ppi+), and a debatable hinge between 360 degree or Surface Book detach mechanism. It would be legendary…

The very important decision factor for me is the processor tho… Because it technically dictates the rest of the hardware/weight. I think a device like that would be released in late 2019/2020, whenever Intel drops their flagship 10nm mobile CPUs. That alone plays to how much battery (a.k.a.) weight should be implemented. As power consumption would drop 20-30%, battery weight could also be dropped (e.g. 70 Wh --> 50 Wh; or maintained depending what Eve users want).

A product like this would Rival the next Generation of Surface Devices (on 10nm), which is probably aimed at being even lighter (shedding 100g-200g of current devices).
Imagine a 650-700 grams Surface Pro 7, or a 1.3-4 kg Surface Book 3. That’ll be deadly.

Small thing: people talk about how apple “controls” the market for the look of unanodized aluminum silver laptops, I think Eve should just use that color. No anodization

And on the subject of how Apple does something, MagSafe please! (not sure if there are any patents that stop that tho)