Tell us what you think about headphones

I would like that Eve make headphones implant that i could have on me all of the time and use as necessary :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::blush:

And use a wireless charging pad as a pillow? :smile:

AWESOME IDEA :smiley::smiley::smiley:
A pillow pad :sunglasses:

Basically all decent BT headphones have a replacement cable so that’s a must have! All decent headphones have replacement cables so :stuck_out_tongue:

Using a Audio-Technica ATH-M50X just for leisure time music (classic country and vintage rock :thinking:)
Excellent sound quality for the price, the cables holding on without problems.
Ear foams are not exceeding one year (= lousy).
But. . . . . . .being in Gabon for >8 month a year they are way too hot for using them in non airco surroundings.

Reminds me that we should make headphones with a cable locking mechanism

ATH-M50X includes a cable locking mechanism.

Strong enough to lift the V😅

In general, I don’t have super high standards for the sound of headphones, therefore I would not buy in the premium segment, but rather somewhere in the middle. If a watch a movie or listen to great music I prefer speakers over headphones!
I would differentiate between 2-3 different use cases:

• Case (1) - at home, mostly for gaming (plus music sometimes) while at the same time talking to friends in Discord/Skype etc. Or if I want/need to keep it silent in the flat.
  • Case (2a) - On the go, mainly listening to music or podcasts.
  • Case (2b) - Sports, mostly running.
  • (1) - Over-Ear gaming headphones (Roccat Kave, the first version), quite old but still working decently. I wanted them to cover my whole ears without applying pressure, as sometimes I’m wearing them for hours. At home, comfort is important, therefore no In-Ears (as I don’t really like that feeling).
  • (2a) - Currently I’m using these Bluetooth headphones: Pamu Scroll. I also carry older standard cable In-Ears in my backpack just in case. I chose this form factor over the more comfy over-ears simply for the small size. I don’t like my head covered too much while on the move (therefore I also dislike hats :smiley: ) plus they need to take as little space as possible in my bag/backpack.
  • (2b) - Not too different from (2a), great fit is even more important here. I’ve been testing the Pamu Scroll here as well (got them only recently), all the time before I have used these (and may get back to them again): Sennheiser PMX 80. Advantages: They don’t enter as ‘deeply’ as normal In-Ears (remember: I don’t like that feeling), also they are set in an angle to allow for a better notice of the environment - I don’t want to get hit by a car while running!

I guess the previous answers cover this to some extent. (1) - Complete Over-Ears, (2) - as small and unnoticeable as possible.

If you define best as in High-end, best sound, all features you can wish for: no idea, as I have never done research in that segment of the market.

No BIG one that comes to my mind atm. I’ll come back to that if that changes or the community is really developing headphones, by then I’ve had time to dig deeper :wink:

Awesome inputs folks. I am especially impressed with how many different use cases are out there!

I have a long history with headphones (mainly because I break them so often) so very excited to answer this one.

Describe yourself as a user. When and where do you use headphones?

Big part of my job is traveling. I mostly use headphones for exercising and traveling (plane, metro abroad, on foot, etc) I am an on a long flight right as I am writing this post :smiley:

What kind of headphones are you currently using? Why did you choose these? (We particularly want to understand what features make them suited to the environment you use them in.)

Currently I am using Bowers&Wilkins PX90 https://www.bowerswilkins.com/eu-en/headphones/px . I discovered them after reading an article on verge from Vkad Savov. I was choosing from QC35 Sony’s 1000, B&O and B&W px90 If I could rank the importance of headphone features this is what matters most to me:

1. Sound (I guess my definition of good sound is different from the one true audiophiles have. I prefer rounded sound with pleasant lows). Good music really gets your though on a tough day!
  2. Durability (I‘ve broken so many headphones in the past. Mainly it’s because when I am on the move I tend to put all of the items I might need if zombie apocalypse comes into one backpack without any compartmentalization)
  3. Bang for the buck
  4. Comfort

Must haves:

Noice canceling

USB-C

Reasonable battery life

If you were to get new headphones, which form factor of headphone would you pick next and why?

I would go back to in ear headphones as I do prefer how they fit into the ear and the sound you can get from them. Also Price/Quality ratio seems to be much better in the in-ear category. I once got amazing pair of UE C5 on audio shop clearance sale for 1/4 of market price. Had them for 2 years but unfortunately when I left them to our manufacturer for Vs headphone jack testing I got them back broken…

What are the best headphones available on the market today, and why are they the best?

Bose/Sony models deserve their spot as flagships of the wireless over the ear noice canceling headphones. I am now in the market for my next pair (got my B&W broken during this trip by getting them smashed with my overfilled backpack :slight_smile:

Is there a BIG problem in the headphone market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve the community could bring to this product category?

I agree with most that that there is not so much the features that are lacking but rather value for money. Today good pair of over the ear wireless ANS cans cost you 399USD/EUR and 299 on sale. Based on my understanding of the manufacturing costs the fair no middle man price should be 199-249 usd/eur

Then I have some more ideas to what can be improved:

1. Durability especially when it comes to in ear models. Typically it’s the wire that breaks OR the driver inside gets loose
  2. Use your headphones from battery and when juice runs out plug them in with AUX cable and continue listening (with battery discharged) really don’t understand why this is not yet implemented …
  3. I am not sure if other people have this problem but despite the fact that I see most value for ANC in flights I find over the ear headphones extremely uncomfortable if you are using a pillow or headrest in your seat. Basically you can’t rest your head properly on left or right ear. Also contact of the headband with plane seat passes on a lot of sound from plane and minimizes the noice canceling effect
  4. Try before you buy online. It would be great to have a way to let people test headphones before they buy them online

++ I love ideas that @Patrik had

To summarize I think if we could bring fair priced pair of ANC in and over ear headphones that would not bear big supply chain risks and would ship fast we could succeed in this category. And of course we would refine feature set with eve.community

In the US I’d recommend Best Buy, you can test them all and nobody (i.e. salespeople) really bothers you.:sunglasses:

Oh yes, very good points!
I can mitigate the battery issue so far by carrying a cable one with me as well. I don’t use it very often because most of the time I make a break after using/ listening for 2-3 hours and hence can recharge my bluetooth In-Ears.
I frequently get annoyed by the pillow issue though!

And I also frequently overcrowd and stuff my bag as well. Another reason for small and compact In-Ears in a charging case: I won’t break them :wink:

I wish we could implement this somehow :see_no_evil:

How about this: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/wellness/noise_masking_sleepbuds/noise-masking-sleepbuds.html#v=noise_masking_sleepbuds_silver

As for using the headphones when they’re dead. I can use my 1000xm2 with cable without them being turned on. But the sound quality is reduced (significant). Battery usage is reduced if I use it with aux instead of BT.
The thing I can’t wrap my head around is why it can’t charge and be turned on at the same time.

Also, put your headphones in a hardshell case, then you can throw that in your bag

Same! If we could get these tested and improved by the audiophiles and audio professionals here :heart:
@SoundMix

Comfort, size, sound, application, value, etc., are all values relative to the unique user. That is why there are already so many choices available. For example, lets say that I personally do not like Bose products. That is not to say that you won’t like them better than what I chose. FWIW Bose products are fine but not my choice for fidelity. Listen before you decide and get a iron-clad return policy. Many have multiple headsets for various applications, I do. @Mohammad_Hadi

I want a reliable tech. I want headphones that wont snap in half if you accidentally sit on them or drop them. I want those fragile hinges to be ether metal or flexible enough to not to break in those cases (or may be just be dislocated and put into place after the incident).
Then rich sound and optional noise canceling.
Comfortable on ear or over ear cups.
Wireless + wired option like some do.
I used to use MDR 650BT but left piece was snapped off, I fixed it with thick wires by heating and putting them into that joint (like rebar). But later right piece fell off and few days after fixing that one, they stopped charging somehow.
I ordered MDR-XB950N1. Hope it will serve me good. This one will have noise cancelling :joy:. Yay! I will be able to walloff off those pesky meatbags around me. :robot:

oh oh, what will be left ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

I am happy with the headphones I have or I know. Nothing more to say :sweat_smile:

I use headphones in my leisure time only. Generally in the gym or lying by or in the pool.

What kind of headphones are you currently using? Why did you choose these? (We particularly want to understand what features make them suited to the environment you use them in.)

I use EOZ Air with wired Sennheiser CX 870 as a back-up. I only use earphones I can carry with me at all times. I want good sound quality, long battery life and them to be waterproof. Also I don’t want to spend more than £100. I backed the EOZ Air on Indiegogo as they seemed to meet my requirements perfectly. And they do.

If you were to get new headphones, which form factor of headphone would you pick next and why?

To be honest I couldn’t improve much on the EOZ Air for my requirements. I guess better BT connection especially making it easier to change between devices would be a bonus.

What are the best headphones available on the market today, and why are they the best?
I don’t know.

Is there a BIG problem in the headphone market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?

I’m not sure there is. I think there are a very wide range out there already and they cover pretty much everything I can think of.

I use headphones to listen to music while I work, when traveling, while skiing and as a BT phone headset.

What kind of headphones are you currently using? Why did you choose these?
Skullcandy Uproar Wireless (BT)- I needed a new pair of headphones and a wireless headset for work. My wired Skullcandy Icons stopped working(cord issues). The Icon wasn’t available in a BT version so I grabbed the Uproars. I needed something versatile that wasn’t too bulky.

Wireless…I hate messing with cords. I’m on the go a lot, changing clothing layers when transitioning for indoors to outdoors, and they just end up being a hassel. They are always getting hooked on things and go bad too quickly.
Overear- Skullcandy is making a BT Icon now so I’ll be getting those. I loved my wired set and they are lower profile than the Uproars. Sound is decent and they are comfortable to have around my neck under a jacket when not it use.
I would like to get a decent pair of overear Noise Canceling to wear while I’m operating heavy equipment and power tools.
In ear- I’ve always hated them. They just hurt. If I could find a good pair that didn’t hurt and had BT+ANC I would use them as an alternative to overear. I’ll be trying out some Galaxy Buds soon (S10 promotional item) to give in-ear another chance.
Bone conduction- I’ve been considering these for a work headset. The Aftershox Trek Air sound really good but the form factor is not ideal for me. Waiting to see what else hits the market because I really prefer the idea of bone conduction to sound waves flooding my ears. I could use them with ear plugs when I need to block out external sounds.

For my uses SC Icons have been the best mix of price and function. I don’t think there is one best option tho.

Is there a BIG problem in the headphone market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?
Better value. Wireless headphones that can also be hooked up with an Aux cable if they die (great point Konsta!). Bone conduction headphones that aren’t ugly and bulky under a hat.

What's Next? Survey results are in!