Tell us what you think about headphones

I’m a recording engineer/producer. There is no such thing as a perfect headset or ear monitor. First, each person has their own needs; noise reduction, listen to books only, isolation, comfort, open sound, over ear, on ear, weight, looks, wired, wireless, sweat, size, surround, mp3 or other decimated source, lossless source (flac, vinyl, 24 bit+), environment, folding, case, charging, batteries, durability, expense, etc., etc., etc… Different ears hear sounds differently. We do not hear things the same way. Therefore, each ear device will sound somewhat different to each person/ear. Some musicians prefer one headset over another in the studio/home, comfort, sound quality, ear shape, hearing loss, brand name, and more, all play a part. The best in-ear monitors are custom fitted to the users ears. You get the picture.

Generally speaking, the best “sounding” headsets/in-ear sets, are wired. Which isn’t to say that some wireless don’t sound better than some wired. It all depends on what is important to you, the choices you make, and your budget. I own what most audiophiles consider to be the best wireless headsets available at this time (without mentioning brands). They sound great. However they do not begin to compare with any of my audiophile wired headsets. The reason is that a straight wire does a perfect job of delivering sound while the lossy combination of a radio transmitter and radio receiver such as Bluetooth cannot. Some will say otherwise, they are wrong, at least for now. If it were true I would already have them. :headphones: (Please do not confuse WiFi with Bluetooth or RF) (Bluetooth with LDAC is better than no LDAC).

Another thing…don’t buy into the hype. A recent article found the cost of the parts used in a popular “DJ’s” brand was $14, they charged $200. Listen before you purchase. If you like them, and they fit your needs, that’s all that matters. Read on-line reviews skeptically, knowing that what one reviewer likes another reviewer may dislike. Audiophile magazines tend to do a better job and offer more comparisons.

Should Eve get into this field? Do they have any acoustic/audio engineers with a level of expertise to design something as good or better than what is already available? Some companies use stock parts for the drivers and stick their name on them, typically cheap stuff but not always. Designing from the ground up is serious stuff.

Remember this most importantly, my listening needs are unique, and so are yours. Trust your ears.

“Starting from Android 8.0 “Oreo”, LDAC is part of the Android Open Source Project, enabling every OEM to integrate this standard into their own Android devices freely”

Are you sure?

Audeze has headphones with LDAC support (Mobius) so they are at least licensing it out to some.

Sony worked with Google so the Android OS could transmit with LDAC, but headphones still have to support it.

I might be a little off with how many devices support it, though. As Nizkus pointed out, there seems to be be a few companies that licensed it, but the Audeze Mobius that came out last year–which retail for $400–is the only non-Sony headphone I’ve been able to find with LDAC. A couple bluetooth receivers ranging from $70-$100 also seem to support it. So it’s possible to license it, but very few companies have done it.

I spent a long time recently looking for my perfect headset, but eventually gave up and just bought a desk mic because the thing I’m looking for doesn’t exist. I spend a few hours a week gaming, and a lot more hours working remotely on web chat. I want something with a low profile appearance that works for both.

I was previously using a cheap over-the-head set with a folding boom mic (Logitech H340), but the combination of foam pads and pressure from the headband compressing my head would hurt my ears after a while. Also, the wire gets in the way when I am typing. Wireless headsets designed for working professionals have mono sound or otherwise terrible audio quality. Everything else looks like giant, garishly-designed earmuffs.

I would love something similar to the Razer Ifrit, except wireless and with small, cloth-covered on-ear headphones like the ones on the Oculus Rift so I can still hear my surroundings. Oh, it should have a button to mute the mic too.

I feel like there are already tons of options out there for hardcore gamers and audiophiles, but nothing good for remote working professionals who want a comfortable wireless, low-profile headset that can also be used for occasional gaming.

Currently I have the Sony WH-1000XM2 , which I love!

• It has ANC, one of the best! My TV is on, just one meter behind me, and I don’t hear it if I’m gaming or listening to music
  • The controls are good and subtle (though they can be better)
  • It has BT and wired mode, for when I don’t want any delay and longer battery life. The wire is also replaceable and detachable (and high quality).
  • They’re comfortable, I can wear them 8 hours straight without getting pain or headache
  • it can cancel the noise, but can also allow it through, keeping me to stay in touch with my environment.

So, to answer the other questions.
I’m work in an open office, so I want to block out noise when I’m trying to concentrate. I also don’t want to bother colleagues so open headphones are a no go. When I’m at home I want to play some video games or work on side projects. The freedom bluetooth gives me works out great. Since BT still has some latency issues (more on that later), i also use the wired mode when I’m gaming. Also the sound quality has to be good. I play PUBG with friends who have “cheaper” headphones. I almost always hear enemies sooner then they do, even if I’m spectating them.
One downside is, they can’t be charged and used at the same time… Which is weird.

I do not want a microphone on the headphones. I have a good microphone with the amount of noise canceling no headset mic can provide. If there was a mic on it, it needs to be detachable and the hole needs to be covered up in it’s design.

If I were to get new ones now, they would be the Sony WH1000xm3. They come closest to what I want, i know I like the design and they sound even better.
I wear glasses, so there is something behind my ears. For that reason if a headphone is on-ear, I won’t consider them.
As for what are the best headphones on the market? For me, the xm3. But it depends on the usecase.

There is one feature combination that I want that I haven’t seen so far. ANC and AptX-LL. AptX-LL is a relative new feature for headphones, but I love the idea of wireless gaming/video. The latency in BT is killing me tbh.

I’d never consider an open-backed headphone unless I know I’m the only one in a room (and not recording audio), which is close to never.

I believe the Surface headphones have this, and/or the bose QC2. I’d also add wired mode to that as well. BT can’t beat the quality and latency advantage of wired headphones.

Yeah… no. Dedicated buttons aren’t that great on headphones. Unless you want huge buttons (which most likely will be ugly). A combination of buttons, touchpad, dials, etc is the best way to go.

As for the local MP3 player, nice idea. I would never ever use it.

affordable what?

I like this.

I’ve got the same ones, bought the first from aliexpress but realized those are fakes. Good for working out though, so i bought a legit pair.
you watched MKBHD review on the xm3 didn’t you :stuck_out_tongue:

I DID! But I saw em first in the 1000XM2 on Jim’sReviewRoom

Your last sentence was almost 1 on 1 with MKBHD’s conclusion (not that it’s bad). :stuck_out_tongue:

As long as it is not fuckin bluetooth, I like every kind of headphones.
No jack cable, not a headphone even remotely worse a look at.

This is why I can’t buy on-ear headphones online. You’ve got to try them to see how they feel first, or at least have some idea from experience with previous models. The more expensive models tend to be more adjustable, which helps a lot. I prefer over-ear headphones that have a fair amount of padding at the top of the band and “cans” that are as large as possible, because those features help with comfort.

• I’m a student who uses their headphones while in transit or when studying.

• I use two sets of headphones. On one side I use a pair of standard wired Apple headphones for when I just want to listen to some music on the bus. On the other side I have a pair of over-ear Bose QC 35 headphones which feature active noise cancelling and have a decent sound.

• I use the Apple headphones, just because I need something to listen music with that’s small and doesn’t get in the way and they came with my phone.

• The Bose ones I picked after trying them out a bit. I chose them as they have great sound quality and passive and active noise cancelling, which is a must if you try to study while in a noisy environment.

• I don’t plan on getting new headphones but if I were I’d pick the same form factor as the headphones I would be replacing.

• Can’t say which headphones are the best as I lack the experience, however I am quite satisfied with my Bose QC 35’s.

• Issues I see with the headphone market:

• When it comes to Bluetooth headphones, basically all of them switch to a lower quality audio transmission protocol when starting a voice call while wearing them. The background is that Bluetooth on features little bandwidth, so to both transmit and receive audio at the same time, the quality of the audio is reduced to save bandwidth. Nowadays we have better codecs (e.g. opus) that would allow for high(er) quality audio, even with rather low bandwidth. The idea would be to have a pair of headphones that can make use of the better codecs to maintain high quality audio even during voice calls. Additionally with a (physical) switch to change to the older codecs for backwards compatibility.

Also, while on the topic of features, I would love to see a set of over-ear headphones that feature a touchscreen on the outside of the shell, that would allow to input different functions (pause, next, previous, …) via touch gestures. E.g. single touch is a pause, swipe from front to back indicates next, etc.

Pretty sure it’s zungles (or similiar), a pair of sunglasses with bone conduction speakers. Should be enough to find it on Google :smile:

see my comment below, I do NOT want noise canceling :laughing:

Let’s differentiate here. For me noise canceling is active noise cancelling, where outside noise is cancelled by destructive interference generated by the headset. This is a nice feature you can switch on or off. The other is noise isolation, which just isolates your ear from outside noise by isolating them physically with foam, tight rubber or whatever. This is something you can’t turn on or off using software, but which could be adaptable with different ear cups, tips or similar.
For riding my bike I would prefer to hear a car honking at me (atleast in many countries :smile:) and people shouting a warning at me, so very little isolation and noise cancelling is switched off if available. For that ride in a super loud plane where you’re wondering how this thing is still allowed to be airborne and there’s a baby in the row behind you I’d definitely prefer the absolute maximum of noise cancelling and isolation that I can get.

I use my wh xm2 with the ANC in “ambient sound” mode in which the microphones are used to simulate the sound you would hear without the headphones. And voices even better. Do wish they would filter out wind noises tho.

But in ear, and over ear headphones will have some form of noise isolation (also known as passive noise cancelation). Only open style won’t have it. But those have major sound bleed (imagine duck taping speakers to your head)

No tails like AirPod… receiving my voice clearly during phone calling is crucial. I have a jabra 65t, it receives my voice clearly in a quiet place like my home, but receive all the surroundings in the street. My gf always complains that other passengers in the metro are yelling

I use wired headphones to watch movies after the family sleeps,and to listen to music wirelessly using the Bluetooth receiver when commuting.
I am now using Sony XBA-C10-R, red color is very cool.
Receiver is Sony SBH50 and Sony Ericsson MW600

It is a cheap price, but it feels good to have bass out.It can’t compete with luxury headphones at single BA.

I hope is Bluetooth receiver + wired headphone.(Headphones wires are preferably replaceable.)I think that headphones buy their favorite brands because I think everyone’s preferences of sound are different.

I only buy it after listening if it is a luxury headphone.No matter how good I can do,Because I do not know if I really do not listen to my liking.

The thing that is the closest to my opinion now.
It is the best if it is possible to use the latest codec for this.
https://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-M500_series/index.html
SX425

Support codec is a little more,
I want a display.

I dislike design. . .

another thing about headphones:

• All headphones I had, cheap or expensive, were REAL fragile along the cables… and the ends of the cables…… it is annoying when you have expensive, good headphones and the cables rip off…

• I like foam for the ears, but… they wear off soon, too… foam which does not wear off would be great…

All foam deteriorates. It would be better to be able to purchase replacements easily. I found replacements for all of mine on Amazon.