Tell us what you think about headphones

So far we have already received over a thousand in-depth replies to our crowd development survey. Thank you all for your brilliant responses! We can’t wait to share the results with you, but in the meantime we would like to ask additional questions about some of the product categories to better understand what makes them special to you.

We’ll be tackling these in a random order, so don’t be too disheartened if your category isn’t picked first: more of these topics will be popping up over time. The next product we want to know about: headphones!

THE ULTIMATE HEADPHONES

We want to better understand what your vision is of the perfect headphones, and what can we do to make it a reality. We haven’t forgotten about the in-depth ideas that have already been shared in our What’s Next? category, but here are some high-level topics to get a fresh discussion going. Product categories selected for development will be discussed in substantially more depth!

In-ear, open-backed, noise-cancelling… If you need a refresher on headphone terminology or have a taste of what kind of headphones are out there, have a look at this article from The Wire Realm.

So here are our questions for fans of headphones :

• Describe yourself as a user. When and where do you use headphones?
  • What kind of headphones are you currently using? Why did you choose these? (We particularly want to understand what features make them suited to the environment you use them in.)
  • If you were to get new headphones, which form factor of headphone would you pick next and why?
  • What are the best headphones available on the market today, and why are they the best?
  • Is there a BIG problem in the headphone market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?

Please let us know your thoughts!

The most wanted products of 2019!

Describe yourself as a user. When and where do you use headphones?

Walking, riding a bike, public transport, basically anywhere I could have a “background music” while doing other activities.

What kind of headphones are you currently using? Why did you choose these?

I choose that because it is one of the best bone-conduction headphones on the market. I choose bone conduction mainly due to the environmental awareness that I get due to the open ear canal. I also don’t have to remove them when I talk to someone, for example.

If you were to get new headphones, which form factor of headphone would you pick next and why?

• Wireless
  • Looks subtle (no on-ear or over-ear)
  • Doesn’t cover my ears

What are the best headphones available on the market today, and why are they the best?

I am not an expert in this area, but I wish my Trekz Air would sound better. It might be the physical limitation of bone conduction in general though.

Is there a BIG problem in the headphone market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve the community could bring to this product category?

1. Multiple Bluetooth Profile One example is the Logitech mice/keyboard, where you could choose between 3 different devices, I think it would be nice if I could switch my headphones connection from my phone to my computer to my tablet, etc.
  2. Bluetooth and proprietary wireless mode Once again, taking a page from Logitech mouse/keyboard, it would be nice to have dual-mode connection, so it could connect to computers using proprietary wireless connection, since Bluetooth on Windows is relatively unstable.
  3. Can be recharged by the phone One example is the Apple Pencil, where you can charge it by the iPad itself without a separate cable. All it needs is a USB-C/Lightning male connector instead of female.
  4. Announcing phone calls and notification It would be great if I would get a head-up on who’s calling me before I start answering the call.
  5. Dedicated buttons for everything Many headphones today have one multi-function button to control music playback, handling calls, and summoning voice assistants. I’d love to have dedicated buttons for each: Previous, Pause/Play, Next, Assistant, Receive/End call.
  6. Local MP3 player Instead of the phone constantly streaming music to the headphones (and wasting battery life), it would be great if the headphones could play MP3 locally. When you summon Siri or receive a call, however, it should switch back to the phone immediately
  7. (specific for bone-conduction) Integrated ear plugs for when I don’t want to hear the surroundings.

What about affordable zongles witha built in display hud

describe yourself:
I’m work as software developer within a small company. We plan to replace our classic phone devices with apps installed on mobile phones / computers and will use a headphone for feature phone calls.
As privat person I play online games with friends within voice chats.

currently using and why:
I use a simple sennheiser usb headset. It has a good sound, doesnt weight mich and everyone understands me :wink:
A feature I’m verry interested within is a good and working noise canceling system.
Within work I go crazy if my colleagues are too loud of if workers start drilling , etc.

form factor:
I prefere ear-enclosing devices as I don’t want to hear my environment If I want to concentrate on the phone call / voice comunication with frieds

problem in headset market:

• conveniet : some are , some are not. But I don’t think this is something for eve as this is not something which can be calculated.

• proprietary dongles:
    Most devices need a hardware dongle and don’t work well with bluetooth. It would be nice if you could have a device working on every bluetooth reciever without a dongle

• noise cancelling
    There is no “cheap” and working noise canelling. But i don’t know if this can be solved mathematicly-

But I don’t think this marketing is something for eve as there there are already so many solutions and everyone has different neads. And there is too much custom within these device. Someone wants in ear, someone over ear etc.
And there are already soo much competitors

First off: For me, there is no single “Perfect headphones”. It depends entirely on the use-case. I’ll break it into the main 2 however:

Home listening:
These are the sitting-at-your-desk type cans. My current set used for this are Arctis 7 Wireless from Steelseries, for 1 reason above all else: Swappable batteries. They use a lithium-ion battery, about the same size as a small phone battery that sits in the right ear cup. When it’s dying, I can pick an identical one out of the small base station that’s fully charged. It’s a small thing, and probably specific to me, but I really really like not having to turn my wireless earphones into wired ones every couple of days for a few hours.

Next on the list here is sound quality. I’ll be honest here: I do have a couple of other sets that I use when I’m really in the mood, but these are the all-rounders, so as long as they’re “good enough” (unhelpfully subjective, I know) I don’t mind too much. They should sound at least as good as a well-regarded ~$75-100 headphone, to give you a rough ideal.

Very nearly tied with sound is comfort. For me, for desk headphones, it’s over-ear or nothing. Not too much clamping pressure that they’ll hurt, but enough that if you snap your head around to look at something beside you, they won’t slide around. Soft padding is your friend.

I wouldn’t usually mention style or looks, but given the current trend of RGB everywhere, I probably should. Don’t. For the love of god, just don’t. I can’t think of anything more pointless than RGB LEDs that you’ll never see, sucking power and adding cost, on headphones.

Workout:
I’ll format this one similar to above: My current pair are the Jaybird Runs. I like most things about them. The connectivity needs to be better (it can be spotty), the charging case must be USB-C, but other than those, and one other factor, they’re pretty much spot on. That other factor: Charging case Z-height. Again, I might just be me here, but a very important factor for me is being able to put the charging case in my pocket. I used to carry a pair of wired earbuds with me to listen to music when I’m out and about. Having switched to a phone without a headphone jack recently (praise Apple for starting that pointless trend) I went wireless, with the Runs. The case, being so bulbous, means while it can fit in a pocket, it’s not comfortable. I really like Apple’s Airpods case design in this regard; it’s slim enough that it’s probably not much different to carrying around a big lighter in your pocket.

Functionality is second: At minimum, I should be able to: play/pause, next and previous tracks. Volume adjust and GA/Siri integration would be nice to haves, but don’t skimp on the basics. My Runs can do all of this except previous track, and it’s quite annoying when a good song comes along and I want to listen to it a second time.

For my in-ears, comfort would be next. If I’m using these working out, or while out and about, I’m probably not paying as much attention to the music as I would be at home, so it’s important that I’m not paying attention to the headphones because they’re starting to make my ears hurt. I love the Runs in this regard - they include lots and lots of different ear tips and supports for the earphones, with the result that I can wear them for hours without issue.

Sound next. Largely the same as above: If they’re “good enough” I don’t mind. I’m not as picky here, as sound quality isn’t the main focus.

Battery life: I don’t mind too much here either. There’s obvious flexibility when having a charging case. As long as the earbuds can comfortably get 2 hours, and the charging case gives them another… 4-5 charges? That’s probably enough. More is always better of course, but remember point 1 here as well.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas!

Really a product that could love some user input.
As a user I use headphone most while travelling and working to hear some songs as it helps me in blocking the surrounding noise and focus.
Currently I am using headphones from Sony and Skullcandy. I choose them as Sony one provide some light water resistant, so it really helps when it is raining. Skullcandy one is just for the wireless use when I am exercising and don’t want to get tangled with cable.

The one I am thinking of getting will be new Razer Hammerhead ANC one, as the ANC is must for blocking all the sounds and they are in ear ones which is my preference, for blocking noise and indulging in your tracks in the minimal form factor.

One thing I always wanted earphones, headphones to have is a dedicated programmable button or gesture at user tap. See I like to listen to new albums and playlist but whenever I find a gem of a track to add it to my favorites I have to open the app and tap he heart icon or issue a voice command. If we can have a dedicated button it will become so easy, every time not reaching out to your device for such a small task but yet a important one.

I have different sets of headphones for different occasions.
For travel I use the Sony hear.on, which is an over-ear noise cancelling headphone. Cool style, good sound quality, and (at the time) great noise cancellation. I’ll likely switch these out with the 1000xm3 later this year since they’re basically a significantly better version.
For the office, I use the Sennheiser HD1 Wireless, also an over-ear noise cancelling headphone. Great sound quality, great build quality, and love the ability to connect to 2 devices.
For working out, I use the Insignia True Wireless earbuds, which have no cable and a hook around my ear instead of the wingtips common in earbuds like the Jaybirds. Relatively cheap price, water resistance, hook around ear.
And for just walking around I have the Apple Airpods even though I have an Android phone. Crazy convenient (small size, auto-connects to last device when removing from case, can use 1 bud at a time, super easy to switch between devices), and great battery life.

If I were to get a new set of headphones, they’d either be over-ear (Sony 1000xm3) or true wireless (Airpod 2 or Samsung Galaxy Buds). I’d want either premium headphones with a ton of features + USB-C charging + amazing noise cancellation like the Sony or true wireless headphones with wireless charging and improved sound quality.

The best headphones right now are the Sony 1000xm3 because of the great feature set, sound quality, and noise cancellation (Bose QC35 are a great alternative). And the Airpods are still the standard for true wireless because of the crazy convenience they offer.

I would honestly say that there’s not much room for Eve at this point. It’s already a crowded market with a lot of great headphones for different use cases at different price points. The only way I can think of Eve being able to fit in is bringing the features and convenience of Sony, Bose, and Apple down to a significantly cheaper price since the expensive pricing of the top choices is probably the main problem right now.

I use headphones mostly on the public transportation when commuting between home and office, on the air-plane (I travel a lot), and at home in the night when relaxing (waiting movies, football match, YouTube…), I don’t want to use speaker because I don’t want to wake up my daughter

What kind of headphones are you currently using? Why did you choose these? (We particularly want to understand what features make them suited to the environment you use them in.)

I am now using Sony WH-1000XM3, over-the-ear wireless headset with ANC.

I choose this model because:

1. best sound quality among the competitors
  2. USB-C port
  3. excellent ANC
  4. comfortable when wearing long time

If you were to get new headphones, which form factor of headphone would you pick next and why?

I would prefer the wireless on-ear/in-ear headphones with ANC, like the next generation of Sony WI-1000x, because

1. It has most of the features of the over-the-ear one, but more light weight
  2. most important, it doesn’t desroy your hair style :slight_smile:

But, if the true-wireless in-ear headphones (like airpod form factor) comes with good ANC function, I will go with this form factor.

Because I my opinion, for wireless headphones, convenient and conformable are more important than other features: what I really want is just music (with certain quality and quite environment), not heavy equipment on my ears/head

What are the best headphones available on the market today, and why are they the best?

I think both Bose QC35 II and Sony WH-1000XM3 are the best over-the-ear wireless headphones
For true-wireless in-ear headphones, Apple AirPod is the best

Is there a BIG problem in the headphone market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?

1. Bluetooth is the biggest bottom neck, even with my Sony WH-1000XM3, it often encounter unstable connections/break-ups. But without BT, compatibility is another issue. I am not sure if BT 5.0 can resolve this issue

2. Like I said above, if Eve can make a true-wireless in-ear headphones with following features, that would be awesome

• ANC
  • stable wearing (doesn’t drop-off when running)
  • easy charging (I don’t know what can be the solution, but just need to be very easy)
  • satisfied sound quality (not need to compete with audiophiles products)
  • certain level of water resistance (can use when small raining)
  • 4 hour above battery life

I am a college student in US. I don’t listen to music much anymore but constantly listen to podcasts and audio books and occasionally religious nasheed.

I would not call myself experienced in this market but I spend A LOT of my free time hearing what experts think of headphones and earphones.

The only real headphones I’ve had were the JayBird X2s and I lost them at the park. They were green :frowning_face:
I have not bought headphones since due to the trauma

Must haves!:

• Active Noise Cancelling. It’s a growing market and it’s a feature that I think will soon be on the norm for headphones. It adds a completely new experience in terms of perceived quality.
    Edit: Also should have ability to increase sound around you for increased awareness if desired.
  • Sound isolation. Gotta be sealed real nice.
  • Battery Life. Obviously, but it needs to compete with the best (which I’ll reference at the bottom). If you can use em longer then you’ll keep em on longer => increased free advertising
  • Connectivity. Must be able to connect to 2 saved devices smoothly.
  • Comfort. Gotta be light so that it’s more comfortable and can stay on longer. Gotta have great cushions.
  • Controls. I’m okay with whatever here but I’d note the competitions choices and test the market for what sells more to consumers.
  • Must Have USB C for charging.
  • Build Quality. Gotta be light but durable! Most use light flexible plastics.

So Price… we’ll the best ANC headphones sell for around $300-$350 so it pains my bank account to say this but I think a price between $200-$250 would be great.

Best Headphones according to me:

• Sony 1000XM3 - best ANC, battery life. Flaw is it only connects to one headphone at a time.
  • Bose QC35ii - best comfort and second best ANC. None really but Sonys are just known to be better and some complain of the feeling when ANC is on.
  • Microsoft Surface Headphones - best Controls (sliding knobs along rim of ears and touch/gesture controls) and great connectivity (switches smoothly between devices). Flaw is Battery life is half (~16-20 hours) and ANC is not near Sony or Bose.

^Take the best features and improve on flaws is what we gotta do.

• I use headphones mainly while on the move. Walking, biking, trains, planes, buses, whatever. In addition to that I also use them when in shared rooms like common rooms, hotels/hostels and so on. I find it quite inconsiderate to use speakers and annoy other people.

• I’m using VE Monks (someone here recommended them :P). I’m not using them because they’re the best out there, I’m using them because I want small in-ears I can stuff in my pockets. This type of headphones often breaks very early and I don’t see the point in investing alot of money there. The VE Monks are super cheap, have decent sound quality and I don’t care much if they break after half a year, wired in-ears that cost 10 times as much have the same problem.

• I would go wireless next, once I see a product that convinces me. Personally I’d prefer small wireless in-ears but maybe I could be convinced by over-ears as well.

• Problems about headphones right now: Current truly wireless in-ear headphones don’t convince me because of their battery life and also often their price. Companies advertise their headphones to have 100 hours of battery life, but they’re talking about the charging case. The earbuds themselves seem to mostly have 2-4 hours of battery life. If I’m sitting on a 12 hour flight this will bother me if I need to start charging my headphones every 2 hours. Some of the charging cases also seem very bulky, making it harder to casually carry them around in a pocket.
    The highly praised overears from the likes of Sony and Bose are ridiculously expensive. I’m just not convinced I want to spend a fortune on a pair of headphones. Also I can’t see myself carrying them around on a daily basis because of size and weight. I’m sure they would be nice on that 12 hour flight, but I’d probably barely use them the rest of the trip

LOVE THAT!!!
I LOVE MP3 (not 4!!!) players b/c of their flexibility. You can make folders which become your playlists, all off line!!!
All MP3 players I had did not last longer than 2 years, or maybe one of them lasted 3 or 4, most died after 1 to 2 years. Cheap or expensive ones alike.

That said…

@ headphones themselves:

• probably as opposed to anybody else, for me headphones MUST NOT cancel environmental sound out! I want to be able to hear what is going on around me. Whereever I am. (as an aside, I use EARphones if I want to cancel soudn out: for instance in a hotel room at night to be able to sleep…)

• they must be light

• must go on top of head (had some around the rear neck and it’s awkward)

• great sound quality
    -IF they have a microphone, must not be sensitive to be moved… had an earphone where my phone partners complained that it was cracking each time I moved…

that 's it :slight_smile:

I’m kind of an audio snob. At home I prefer to use headphones when listening to music, playing video games and watching TV shows and movies because the sound is clearer and more immersive than listening to speakers.

I’m starting to use in-ear headphones when working out or when I take my V somewhere like a coffee shop, but I’m pretty dissatisfied with these.

• What kind of headphones are you currently using? Why did you choose these? (We particularly want to understand what features make them suited to the environment you use them in.)

At home I use Sennheiser HD 558s. They’re seven or eight years old and still going strong. I love them because they’re comfortable and have good sound quality. (Cheap $100 headphones just wouldn’t do.) They’re corded, but this isn’t a problem at home.

When working out or on the go I’ve been using Koss ‘The Plug’ In-Ear Headphones. They’re acceptable when sitting in a coffee shop, but they’re not very good for working out, because the foam tends to sit the wrong way in my ears so I have to crank the volume up to uncomfortable levels. And when they get wet the sound quality gets much worse.

• If you were to get new headphones, which form factor of headphone would you pick next and why?

I don’t need to buy expensive on-ear headphones for home use, but if my Sennheiser’s ever die I guess I’ll just buy whatever equivalent to the 558s they’re making now.

As for portable headphones… that’s a very different story. I’d really like some kind of earbuds that can fit properly in my ears and stay there despite repetitive jarring motions like from jogging. They’d also need a high degree of water resistance or downright waterproofing.

• What are the best headphones available on the market today, and why are they the best?

I don’t know enough about the market to answer this question properly. All I can say is that Sennheiser was the only manufacturer that made headphones with acceptable sound quality that weren’t $600+, so I went with them. That still seems to be the case today. Good sound quality for around $200-$300.

• Is there a BIG problem in the headphone market? Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?

There are two kinds of headphones I’d like to buy, but I’m probably not a typical user at all so these might not be useful suggestions.

My next actual headphone purchase will probably be these: Tayogo Waterproof MP3 Player Headphones with Swimming Earbuds, but since I haven’t tried them yet I don’t know if there are any market deficiencies Eve can exploit. And honestly, the market for this kind of thing probably isn’t that large.

Other than that, I’d really like to buy a set of headphones that can be worn in bed! Now here’s a need the market isn’t serving too well. Most of the best designs appear to have converged on something like this: Vizpet Sleep Mask Headphone Headband - a large band of fabric you can wear around your head with flat, flexible earphones inside. But I’ve heard that these headphones tend to be made very cheaply and break within months. This is definitely a niche product, so it probably isn’t the kind of thing Eve should get into. But it is a legitimate need that’s only being served by bottom of the barrel manufacturers right now. If it was done right I’m sure there’d be a lot of people who’d like to listen to music or audio-books while falling asleep.

Retired, I stream my music (Spotify & Prime), watch tv, listen to podcasts.

Bose QC35:
Bluetooth (2 devices)
ANC
Great sound
Wireless
Light-weighted
Secure on head and comfortable (short & long-term)
Closed-back

The same as I have around-ear

The Bose QC35 and the Sony 1000XM have the best features

Easier Bluetooth connection, multiple BT devices (4+), affordable ($150-$200), gesture control (to stop and resume listening)

Well the absolute must-haves for headphones today in 2019 is noise-cancellation technology. Otherwise any headphone without that feature will not compete against other brands.

From my perspective BT is good - however depending on the sending device the range can vary greatly!
This issue is improved further by the usage of AptX codec which requires more bandwidth to be stable.
BT 5 can relieve some of the issue but definitely not everything.

I’ll post my opinion on it further below :wink:

I’m a headphone power user. I’ve got like 3 different over-ears at home and the same amount of earbuds and in-ears! Listening to them in the train, the office, at home.

My current cans are the Shure SE215 for in-ears due to a small sound canal, being super comfy and good sound.

Then I’m using Denon AH-MM400 with a FiiO uBTR to give it wireless. Using this in the office mostly due to blocking sound.

Actually a concrete product: Beyerdynamics Lagoon ANC. Will get them due to ANC and being wireless. Also USB-C and (hopefully) great comfort and sound quality.

For comfort Bose QC35ii, the rest currently Sony MH x3.
Potentially the beyerdynamics lagoon soon?

The price range. There are no good sounding cans in a price range of 200$ with USB-C and ANC. It’s however a very crowded market already so it might be hard to get a hold in since most people mostly trust known members in the community.
As for innovation I’m not sure how to innovate on headphones.

I would like to see the LDAC Codec implemented, I’m not sure tho if it’s open source. It should give good sound quality and has a mode with adaptable bandwidth.

LDAC is owned by Sony, and currently Sony headphones are the only ones with it. So that’d be really unlikely

Describe yourself as a user. When & where do you use headphones?
I’m probably the oldest person (or one of) on the forum here.
I’m still active every day in business, because I love it, and I’m again in the midst of starting yet another business. I’ve love tech and I’m a bit of a sucker for the newest or a better over the ear full headset.

Lately I use headsets for my “Zoom” discussions, audible books and for making audio tracks. Over the years they have been essential for relaxation with music, learning a language when I exercise or go walking/jogging every morning, sometimes to watch a video when the speaker sound would be intrusive to others and of course travelling/flying where a comfortable headset is essential with the best possible noise cancellation to drown out the droning noises of the plane.

What kind of headphones are you currently using?
Why did you choose these?
(We particularly want to understand what features make them suited to the environment you use them in.)

First and most important and the most used ear piece by me is my Plantronics Voyager 3200.
I simply use this every single day for my 2 mobile phones and even for voice2text use.
I never use the phone speaker.
This awesome “Noise cancelling” bluetooth device goes with me everywhere, every day with it’s portable charging pack and easily lasts all day and then some.

I can use it in a noisy train station, street bazaar, shopping centre or any environment where I might usually worry about noise being heard by the person I’m speaking to and they always think I’m in a quite room or my car. It pick does up some outside noise but it is never enough to be a problem for the person I’m speaking to. As long as the outside noise around me does not stop me from hearing my caller, this device always continues to amaze me with the way it works.

I’ve tried many other bluetooth devices and Plantronics in my opinion are just the very best in the world in this field.

The Voyager 3200 connects to both my phones and it automatically can switch from one to the other, as well it connects and is paired with my V, Toshiba Kira laptop and Ipad Pro.

I have been using Plantronics headsets in business for more than 40 years since the mid 1970’s and Plantronics have the very best warranty and replacement service in the world bar none.

Next favourite, is my Bose Quiet Comfort 35 which is my go to headset for travelling and which I use exclusively on a plane. As the name implies, they are the most comfortable for me, and the “noise cancelling” is eerily efficient and sensational in the way it seems like you’re in another world when you first try it. It is also able to be used by cable or wireless connection with equal performance in my experience. Bose had great battery life too!
I chose them over the B&O headset because of the comfort and noise-cancelling. B&O definitely had a a better sound, but fairly uncomfortable when worn for long periods.

Before the Bose QC 35’s, for several years I bought and still own a Sennheiser Momentum headset but it’s not as good in the noise cancelling area. Though I must say they are still great for general music listening.
In fact I still have my very first Sennheiser HD on the ear headset from the late 70’s and they work perfectly despite the lack of the original foam ear cover and it has a quarter-inch (6.35mm) connection plug/jack. They are still comfortable and very light and I can’t bring myself to throw them away.

After the Senheiser but before I got the Bose I bought the Plantronics Back Beat Pro over the ear headset to try and I now keep them in my home in China for normal use when I’m there. They are as good as the Sennheiser in the sound output but a bit heavy and chunkier than I prefer. I would put them in the same quality and comfort category as the Sennheisers but not as comfortable as the Bose. Again the Plantonics BackBeat Pro are wireless and have a good battery life with excellent noise cancelling.

Comfort for me is as much about the spring tension against the sides of my head and the overall weight. Many springs are far too strong to be worn for any reasonable length of time. It would be great if someone could make a set with adjustable tension. The ear cups in every one of my headsets is what I would consider to be comfortable, though I rarely wear anything else except the Bose, so I might tend to be a bit biased. I also prefer “kid” leather cups if I can get them.

I also have a cheap I think “Lux” wireless headset which I often use in my morning exercise because they are small and light and I’m not so worried about looking after them and they just keep on going no matter what I throw at them. I think they are made by the Altec Lansing company.

Oh and I nearly forgot, I have an original Sony Walkman WM-2 cassette player in mint condition with small on ear headset which I bought in 1981 - great portability and sound in its day. They were one of my first experiences of a reasonable though very small over the head on the ear headset and produced good sound and portability for that time at a reasonable price

Also in a drawer somewhere at home I have a B&O Earset - early edition (I bought them over 10 years ago). Even though they have a half circle over the ear I didn’t like the way they feel and the cable was too short.

With the only exception being my mobile phone bluetooth set.
Definitely Over the ear! For the best possible sound etc
I personally prefer over the ear to shut out as much outside noise as possible and give me a richer sound experience.

Earbuds or in ear types just don’t work very well for me and never did, because I think I have an unusually big ear space or something and those Apple and general mobile phone type ear buds just will not stay in my ears and end up falling out.

Is there a BIG problem in the headphone market?
Is there a unique value or innovation that Eve & the community could bring to this product category?

I have no idea what are the best on the market today, but I’m about to start to look around again and see what’s available and I will likely report back in due course.

There is Not exactly a BIG problem that I am aware of in the market except to say:-
** I think it’s hard to find a professional quality, light, attractive, with adjustable head spring, technically advanced, noise cancelling (both directions), really good professional sound quality, “wireless & cable” over the ear head set specially with a professional quality microphone that can be anywhere as near as clear and crisp when conducting a phone call_** as my Plantronics Voyager 3200 or any high level Plantronics noise cancelling bluetooth. (my Bose and Sennheiser still don’t compete with the 3200 on that score)

(The Voyager is not as good for listening to audio books, language lessons or music as a high quality head set designed for “Sound”.

And, I don’t want a headset with those ugly and obtrusive “gaming” style microphones sticking out the front and come in God-aweful gawdy “look at me” colours like you want everyone to see you.

On the subject of the best in the market at the top end, I have not yet tried the new Sony WH-1000XM3, Bose QuietComfort 35 II, Beyerdynamic Amiron, latest Sennheiser Momentum, Plantronics Back Beat Pro 2, MicroSoft Surface, Nuraphone or the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT.

But If I am to make a prediction then I would say that if this community could aim at combining and incorporating all the best features of all these and more into what I think would be the ultimate listening device on the planet. We copied the Surface and beat it in very noticeable features and quality we can do again and easier with such a good logistics and construction partner.

Price Range - Again you get what you pay for!
For the best! I would expect to pay $400 - $600 possibly more.
But knowing manufacturing costs as I do then I’d stick with the $400+ range, and the low design and development costs we could have on this forum is probably the best advantage we have.

By the way I mentioned this brand above, and I now ask has anybody tried or do they know much about these - https://www.nuraphone.com

I’m not sure if the reviews on the web are biased or paid for or even real yet.
Though I am tempted to try them because they come with a 30 day money back guarantee, if not satisfied. And they’re based in Australia.

I understand you’re not saying that we can’t do it or it won’t work out but I just want express my feeling that we should give it a shot.