Teardown of the V

Is there already a thread to repairability of the v? Do you have Plans for offering official spare parts?
It would be very nice to offer a Teardown guide for the v if something Breaks and you need to change parts out. (screen, battery,…) or even in some years a bigger, faster SSD? :flushed:

It would also be nice if you would offer a prototype (does not need to be one of the latest models) to disassemble by someone wo does not know how it looks inside to have a good indicator of repairability. It would just need to be mechanically equal.

I hope repairability will be better than the surface (disassembled my pro 2 last month and it was awful, but i made it without cracking the screen :wink:), even worse is not possible anyways.

Testing Anti-Fingerprint coatings out
[28.04.17] Mini mass production results + Shipping schedule
Supporting the V just the way you need it..brainstorm!
Suggestion : A fully customizable web-shop like hp.com

It has been discussed many times. V is not repairable. Everything is soldered in place except the SSD and battery. The screen is glued. So the only “spare parts” you could get are the battery and the screen, as SSDs are widely available from retailers. Eve has said they would repair your device even beyond warranty, for a small fee.

Snippet of whats inside.

With repairing I meant changing the (maybe broken) screen, (dead drained) battery, (too small/slow) ssd yourself without sending the V in and waiting for someone else to fix it. I Do not think somebody soliders some new RAM Chips on their Motherboard.

I have my Sony vaio now for nearly 7 years and by upgrading the SSD it is until now one of the fastest Laptops i worked on nowadays. I know that opening a Laptop and opening a Tablet is something different but it is also possible.

I think offering the possibility to either send your V in or just buy the (original) broken part as a replacement and offering maybe a repair guide like iFixit does it would be a great deal for professional/hobby diy-Fixers.

Looks like the surface pro (2) (1 and 2 are mechanically the same) https://de.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+2+Teardown/18604

To disassemble you would just need to heat the glue up and then you can pop out the screen. To reassemble you would need to change out the glue tape.

It would be great to have pictures like on ifixit to see which screws hold which parts and in which order you can safely remove everything out of the cover and put it together again. (I assume for repairability that The Motherboard is screwed in, not glued on the battery like in some Motorola Phones…)

Do you have a Link to the topic?

Yeah, Latest updates from China on prototypes, deliveries and more!

Thank you.
i searched for the Text on the Screenshot :relieved:

If that is done during the warranty period, you will loose your warranty (that’s the official statement by Eve).
Meaning that during the warranty timeframe you should also send it in (in case you want e.g. a different SSD, you could send that with it and ask Eve friendly to swap your SSD into the device).

After the warranty period, opening the V up can’t/shouldn’t be done by the regular, non-experienced user. Also at that point in time (as @pauliunas pointed out) Eve will repair things for a small fee. They will also swap the battery for a small fee (particularly the battery will not be available on the market as Eve will not sell batteries on its own).

Unless iFixit purchases a unit and tears it down (which didn’t happen for the first batches afaik) you will most probably not get any of these/similar pictures. All the initial buyers want to use the V and not tear it apart. For iFixit it might not have an interesting enough market share (which hopefully changes over time).

I understand your point. But I think The backers of V will be at least more experienced and less regular users than on usual products.
Due to crowd developing (which assumes that the crowd is above average to get a satisfying result) and the IGG (which also is not a thing a regular User would do to get their new tablet PC) the customer is more likely to be experienced enough to repairing/upgrading themselves.
It is just a thought of me and I Do not have a study to proof my point but it should at least be thought about The possibilities and the contrast to other companies which discourages these things.

Look for example on all the comments below the open prototype. Community wants to get inside the Black Box (housing :wink:) they bought! Latest updates from China on prototypes, deliveries and more!

The Big companies want you to throw your perfectly good tablet away and buy the new one instead, only because for example The battery is old and v should be different than that and give you the ability to decide.

I also think that more and more people will get into (hobby) repairing their “old”/“broken” hardware themselves. Because it is very profitable.

I understand that opening The device will void The warranty and that this is important. But a 1000€+ device should work longer than this timeframe.
Warranty should be The time where you Do not need to fix or repair something that your device works and after this time it should go on with small fixes and repairs.

I agree with you on the experience statement. But I assume that even experienced buyers will refrain from opening it up if it voids their warranty. I certainly would not buy a $1400-device to see if I can crack it open on one of the first days. That’s all I tried to express.

Maybe one of the prototypes can be used for that. If @Mike and @Konstantinos approve it could be shipped to ifixit for free and ask them for a teardown, publishing results in the community (and not broadcasting bad repairability). The more use of every portion of space is made in a device (especially as they get smaller), the repairability automatically gets worse…

Yes that exactly what I meant!
A mechanically finished Prototype to make a disassembly for the Community and as guide for repairing when warranty is over. I do not want to scrifice my V for it but the (old) prototypes would be enough since i do not think that there will be any mechanically changes form now on.

I would totally do that for the Community if I get a Prototype. I would do a guide and high-res Photo Documentation. I also have the tools for that and am Kind of experienced. I think I can make it if ifixit does not want to. I would just need a Prototype. It could also be after the first shipping batch.

I would totally do that too, but unfortunately it isn’t allowed…

@Alexander_Halbarth talks about once all the prototype testing is done and the first units are shipped out (or about to be) - at least that’s how I understand him. So new rules should apply at that point.
There are many prototypes out there and I assume not for all a secondary purpose is identified. Thus, that might be something @riku @Konstantinos @Mike want to look into. I am all for it (and it would underline the openness of Eve over the competition).

Yes that is exactly What I meant.

Giving the prototypes a purpose after the final product is fixed.

It would be also no Problem to recieve a Prototype together with my V to save the shipping cost.

I’ve disassembled my prototype and I can tell you this:
Everything is soldered onto one motherboard except these things:

• Battery; but it’s glued to the body, so be careful when removing it. It’s really large and really thin so it can break (and explode) while trying to remove.
  • SD/SIM tray; it’s held by just 3 small screws, easy to take out, so if you break your SD card tray you can replace it yourself.
  • SSD; this one is really easy to replace, just remove that one screw holding it :slight_smile: There seems to also be one extra M.2 slot so you should be able to install a second (much shorter) SSD. But there is no screw that holds it. And maybe it will be removed from further prototypes. Or maybe it’s kept for the LTE card?
  • Cameras, speakers, microphones, keyboard connector, magnets, buttons and so on are all replaceable. The ports aren’t, however. Maybe only the right side USB port, haven’t checked that. And USB 3.0, type A as well as type-C, are a PITA to re-solder. You need a really tiny microscopic soldering iron for that :wink:

Anyway, all this is hidden under the screen. Which is glued. It’s quite hard to remove it without samaging it. I failed at it, but I can give you some advice to avoid doing the same mistakes:

• Take a hairdryer and set it to full power (hot air mode). Heat the bezels about equally, then heat the top area a bit more.
  • Start from the top. The top is made of plastic, so if you decide to pry it, there’s less risk of cracking it.
  • Continue running the fan, just heat up the area that you want to pry off until it comes off without too much force (with a suction cup).
  • Work your way through it clockwise. The right bezel is glued more tightly, as the internal structure that the bezel is glued to is wider. In other places only the very edges of the screen are glued, but the right bezel is glued in its entirety. Like, the whole 1.5cm of bezel.
  • Use a suction cup. Everywhere and always. Don’t use prying tools too much. When you heat up an area, pull it off with a suction cup (not too much - the display shouldn’t bend). Just don’t use much force. Try to be as gentle as possible. Then stuck an old credit card (or discount card) under the glass so that it doesn’t glue back in place.

Well, I guess that’s all. Some extra information:
The motherboard is held by 5 screws, but you will have to remove some plastic pieces around the bezels to lift it off. That adds another 14 screws. And then there’s a piece above the battery connector (sort of protection) so that makes 2 more. In total you have 21 screw. But there’s really nothing interesting under the motherboars, so only do this if you’re planning to replace the whole board. Really, nothing to see there.

SSD is held by one screw (like always) and SIM/SD tray has 3 screws holding it. Every piece around the bezels, including buttons piece, magnets and so on, is held by 3 screws (except the front camera with 2 screws) so that makes 26 screws around the bezels. Add 5 on the motherboard, 3 on the SD tray, 1 on the SSD, 2 on the battery connector, and you have a total of 37 screws in the whole device. Unless I missed something. That’s not too bad, given that Surfave Pro 4 had… 70? :smile:

Oh, and I forgot to count the heatsink screws :stuck_out_tongue: I think there were around 6-7 of them…

Nice, did you take pictures Paul?

Yup :slight_smile:
https://eve.community/t/i-broke-her-again-sob/6149?source_topic_id=5888

Thanks (!) and happy Year-Day in the EVE Community! :birthday:
Thank you for your commitment by the community.
You’re incredibly engaged.
(Maybe you can keep and maintain V1ctoria?) :sunglasses: