I state here my own opinion about the surface situation:
Why is the price now lower?
- Microsoft will soon present his Surface 5 and need to clear the stocks. No sold stock will be wasted money and thrown into the bin.
- Microsoft pays no license fees for Windows and no certificates. These adds up a huge costs for buying companys.
- Microsoft is a big company and even if they make a loss by selling the remaining stocks of Surface 4, a bit of money is better than none. They have the capital, EVE is a startup.
Why did I choose EVE V?
- Great specs for a affordable price. Good Display (IGZO), Thunderbolt 3, Community developed
- Hardware for a fair price
- Redunant forum updates about production and shipping.
- The EVE Team listen to complains and ideas.
I travel sometimes and need a portable for programming, Document/Photo/Video editing and the EVE V has a good display with touchscreen. Also the specs are great for such a small tablet. I tried the Surface Pro and wasn’t satisfied with it, the worst part for me was the display and the high price for the good one. Around 2699 in Switzerland. I got the same specs for the EVE V i7 1200 cheaper than the surface. (In december 2016)
And as a small company you also need a product to start off. You need to plan employees loans, development/manufacturing costs, licenses, prototypes, test runs and test production. For this I think EVE has found a very good middle price.
Here you can check the Surface Pro 4 512GB SSD, 16 GB RAM and I7. Before it was 2699$ now its much cheaper because the Surface 5 will be released: https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/microsoft-surface-pro-4-512gb-ssd-1230-intel-core-i7-6650u-16gb-ssd-notebooks-5622729?tagIds=614
In this regard the EVE V i7 is for me still better and cheaper in this regard