Surface Book 2! What would you change?

Hey everyone!

The Surface Book 2 was announced a couple hours ago! What are your first impressions? Would you change anything?

Surface Book 2 Specs

Surface Book 2, 15 inch
15-inch display, 3240 x 2160, 260 PPI
Eighth-gen Intel Quad-Core i7-8650U, 4.2GHz "max turbo"
16GB RAM
256GB, 512GB, or 1TB SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB graphic memory
13.5 x 9.87 x 0.9 inches
4.2 pounds, 1.8-pound tablet mode

Surface Book 2, 13 inch
13.5-inch display, 3000 x 2000, 267 PPI
Base model: seventh-gen dual-core i5-7300U with 8GB RAM
Upgrade options: Eighth-gen Intel Quad-Core i7-8650U, 4.2GHz "max turbo"
16GB RAM
256GB, 512GB, or 1TB SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, 2GB graphic memory (not available on base i5 model)
12.3 x 9.14 x 0.9 inches
3.62 pounds (Base model is 3.38 pounds), 1.59-pound tablet mode

Surface Book 2 shared specs
Claimed 17 hours battery, five hours for tablet (video watching)
Bluetooth 4.1
2 USB-A, 1 USB-C, Surface connect, SD card slot, headphone jack
5MP camera (front), 8MP rear
Supports Windows Hello login
Dolby Atmos support for headphones
Backlit keyboard, 1.55mm travel

Here is the link to an article where you can read a little about the device! Microsoft Surface Book 2 comes in two sizes, packs NVIDIA graphics and USB Type-C https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-book-2

ThunderBolt and USB-C ports on tablet part. 32 GB RAM option.

You do have one USB C port now :stuck_out_tongue: and why thunderbolt? I was an advocate for it for the V but not anymore. First, it’s quite expensive. Then, few devices support it. eGPU docks are also expensive and not that portable. And finally especially since you have dGPUs to choose from, there’s no need for it I feel.

“First, it’s quite expensive”

Yes, but enough about the Surface Book, what do you think about Thunderbolt. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, the 15inch is pretty much my dream computer. I’m… tempted.

The price of the 15 inch is ridiculous… 2400$ USD that’s like 3000 CAD. If it wasn’t so expensive I would of gotten it.

This will most likely change next year, since Intel will no longer charge thunderbolt-manufacturers for using the interface. I’m looking forward to cheaper thunderbolt accessories :smiley:

On topic: I’d add thunderbolt and move it to the tablet. My guess this is the reason for the type-c port not being thunderbolt enabled; they’d have to forward that thunderbolt through the dock-tablet-connector and with the GPU already in the base it’s probably a bit crowded :stuck_out_tongue:

Its really hard to fault this product, its really fantastic to see GTX 1060 in a convertible computer.

But of course it’s not perfect for me. Here’s what Id like to see:

• Thunderbolt 3
  • 1050 Ti on the 13" model
  • Get rid of the proprietary port, replace it with HDMI 2.0 (or USB-C, USB-A)
  • Get rid of the 3.5mm jack, replace it with USB-C so the tablet portion will have one USB port at least.
  • 99 Wh battery on the 15" base (currently its 80 Wh combined, Id guess its around 50 Wh on the base)
  • Maybe 80Wh on the 13" base (currently its 70 Wh combined)

And of course all Surface models need this:

• Intel WiFi (or anything that’s not Marvell, really)
  • Thicker, more durable glass that’s completely flat and doesn’t flex in pen use
  • Better paint
  • Actually honoring their $200 battery exchange they claimed in a Reddit AMA
  • A more realistic battery life claim

beauty beauty, but prices 15" are :scream:

I like having the options and the flexibility of changing my GPU without buying a whole new device. While eGPUs are still quite expensive they are getting cheaper all the time as more and more companies are coming out with their own products.

As for the portability, I don’t need the extra power on the go. I like that the V is an all day device and wouldn’t want to compromise that with a dGPU. Currently, I have a Mantiz Venus eGPU and it works great when I tested it with my friends Transformer. Just waiting for my V

Microsoft hardware…buyer beware. Plagued by faulty drivers, poor serviceability, and insane pricing. In other words, you don’t get what you pay for.

The entrance model for 1500 comes with iGPU.
It’s not bad but i doubt it can hold the claims over the mbp and the battery life.
At least Microsoft won the challenge of the higher price tag xd

While it looks like a fairly solid product overall, it’s appears that Microsoft has deemed using the Surface Book’s display as a tablet a really secondary feature, because it appears the only way to charge the device is through the base. I also wish the keyboard’s design was tweaked slightly, because right now it blends into the base to well, not standing out enough.

As previously stated, I wish the price was better, the battery life claim was more realistic, and the USB C port was on the tablet portion.

If it wasn’t for the inclusion of the new GPU’s I’d say this is really more of a Surface Book 1.5, but having a 1060 or a 1050 in a device of this form is impressive. And it least Microsoft finally gave users 1 USB C, though I don’t see why they couldn’t have added a second if a device like the V could do so.

How are the graphics powered in tablet mode ?

There’s an Intel iGPU within the “tablet”, so it uses the NVIDIA Optimus tech (that hybrid GPU software to make it works well with Intel or AMD GPUs) It probably doesn’t use the NVIDIA GPU even when plugged into the base unless a high demanding application asks for it (if I rely on my experience with my MSI GE620DX from 2011 anyway.)

I disagree with you there. With that argument you could also say Microsoft made the surface laptop a secondary feature to it’s power adapter.
More importantly the screen can be attached backwards onto the base so you’ll get great battery life with an even better way to grip the Surface Book. I personally, if I had one, would always have the base attached, if I’m using the keyboard or not.

The tablet part is connected to the base with surface connect, so the tablet also has a charging port so you can charge it straight with the normal charger, at least this was the case with book I. The tablet part does have way too low battery life for my taste though. And the base 13" model has no dGPU nor TB3-connection. Also its very pricey. :confused:

Wow, those are impressive devices. Still not a fan of the gap/extra width caused by the hinge, and the 13’’ is quite on the heavy side compared to other 13’’ laptops. But hey… if I had the money for it, I would be very tempted. Portability, flexibility and power are slowly coming together!

Being really picky, I don’t get why they keep repeating the same basic design error (also present in the V): the damn audio jack on the top of the tablet. Hanging wires FTW! :roll_eyes:

While the Surface Book 2 does re-define the high end market on its form factor once again, I continue to be very happy with Eve V price:quality ratio. :slight_smile:

I agree that the keyboard seems a bit bland and odd. I’d like to see at least some contrast with the keys vs base.

TL;DR of Windows Blog announcement:
“SB2 is better than the MacBook Pro. It’s more powerful than before, and has better specs than the MacBook Pro. It also is good for those ‘Creators’ we keep talking about. Have you heard about Mixed Reality? P.S. this is better than the MacBook Pro.”

It has good specs, but they could have explained the specs and why they’re good instead of just pointing out that it’s more than Apple’s product.

Except the Book still has a U-class processor wheras the 15 inch Macbook Pro has a HQ-class one. I feel like Microsoft are deliberately using “8th Gen”'s bump in core count to make it look like they’re offering the same thing when they really aren’t.