Please note, this thread would likely better serve the community by keeping the thread concise, so in the case of questions/comments/etc that get answered we will update this post to handle them, and please remove the original post or hide it’s text in a [details][/details] tag
Last Updated 28/01/2017 at 11:18am EST (UCT +05:00)
2017/04/11: Will be updating this weekend for upcoming changes with Bug Tracking/organizaiton (see post 54 below; any recommendations will be much appreciated!), as well as with tester statuses
Some members of the Community have expressed interest in running another OS on the V (specifically Linux), and so this thread is meant to serve as a reference of current progress to that end. Will update as more information and feedback come in.
Major Pre-update: Canonical has responded to Eve about cooperating on the V’s Linux support; more details to follow!
Community Members have volunteered to test Linux support once devices are received
Current Volunteers (and distro/configuration)
- @iKirin, @volnyvtak, @pauliunas, and @amibert have volunteered to test under Ubuntu
- @jono and @tmaone have volunteered to test under Fedora (With XNU/Darwin Kernel as applicable)
- @jtflynnz, @Tirigon, @MarcOwn, @Lagger_Gandalf, @Chiesel, and @eric_launay have volunteered to test under Arch (Vanilla & ApricityOS as applicable)
- Chiesel and amibert have volunteered to test under Kali Linux.
- jtflynnz has volunteered to test under Solus
- @Neti has volunteered for general install testing and assistance.
- @smurf and eric_launay have volunteered to assist with kernel troubleshooting
If you would like to volunteer, please post below or send me a message and I will update accordingly!
FAQ (to be expanded):
Q: Will it run Linux?
A: Community members will try to sort out hardware support, but Eve as a company does not have the personnel to dedicate a team to official Linux support at launch (in any of the various forms/degrees/flavors). They will not lock down the device, from it, but understand that getting hardware support may be challenging.
From Mike on the team, describing that it won’t be officially supported at launch, but reiterating community support and possible support in the future:
And from Peter, the community manager: