*** This post is part of the Donald Dock project development.
*** Please check the master topic for an overview of the project
Purpose : Announce the final specs
Thank you all for the discussion in the previous step! We got many great ideas to shape the perfect Donald Dock.
Now below is the proposed final specs of Donald Dock (the updates/changes are bold): a product that provides more ports to V and other notebooks/laptops/tablets to work better with peripherals.
|Port No.||Ports Type||Technology/description|
|1||USB-C||Thunderbolt 3, USB PowerDelivery (up to 85w), connected to the host device|
|2||USB-C||Thunderbolt 3 (supports DP Alt Mode), for daisy chain device, monitor, or other USB device|
|3||USB-C||USB 3.1/3.2, with power delivery (up to 18w)|
|5||USB-A||USB 3.1, with power delivery (up to 10w)|
|9||SD card port||UHS-I/UHS-II|
|10||3.5mm audio jack||Audio out/in combined|
|12||DC-IN||About 150W power|
|14||(optional) MicroSD card port||UHS-I/UHS-II|
|15||(optional) m.2. port for SSD|
|16||(optional) Wireless charging||Qi, 7.5w - 10w|
- Port 1 should be placed on the side that is easy for connecting (not the back side)
- DD supports both Windows and MacOS
- A 0.5m to 0.8m long Thunderbolt 3 cable is included
- Dust cover or dummy plugs are included to protect the unused ports
- Donald Dock will be a stand-alone product to work universally with different notebooks/laptops/tablets.
Do these updated specs make sense ?
- Yes, I like it
- It makes sense, but still need some updates
- No, we need to re-design it
We will begin to contact suppliers and ID design agents, and will update their feedback/comments in the community for further discussion/decision making.
We also need your help to look at the market:
What’s the best similar product in the market now? How is it compared to the proposed Donald Dock? And what’s the price of that product?